• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Makers 46

CtznCane

Recently I got a couple bottles of Maker's 46 the new bourbon from Makers Mark. Slightly higher proof, 47 vs 45, a bit darker color and a bit richer but you don't taste the higher alcohol. A little more bold but quite smoothe. I enjoy Makers Mark to begin with but I enjoy the 46 even more.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I got a chance a year or two ago to sample, side by side, an over-aged sample and the white dog along with 'normal' Makers Mark. I am, at most, an infrequent consumer of the stuff but I find it a perfectly fine product. The sampling was quite instructive as to why the distillers and blenders choose the age they do; the bottled stuff was more interesting than that with the extra age, which I found too woody. My first impression on tasting the 46 is that it was probably essentially the exact same thing I had tasted as an "over-aged" sample. It's certainly good, but I wish the proof were higher still, to balance out the woodiness. Mostly though, I wish it weren't 50-60% more expensive than the original. Every new spirit being priced in the "super premium" price bracket is getting tiresome.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman