• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burns Night January 25, 2011

Robbie Burns Day comes at the perfect time each year. End of January, freezing outside, it's time for a hearty feast of whisky and offal. For me, it's not about the poetry.

Who is celebrating, and how?

FYI here are two earlier topics from 2005 and 2009

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

This is precisely the time of year I get excited about making a worthy haggis from scratch.

Then I remember I can't get my hands on a good ox bung or sheep lungs. Then I wonder about substitutions and reinterpretations. Then I fantasize about veggie haggis, and then I reaffirm that such a thing is beyond oxymoronic and completely misses the point.

Here's a pictorial that's not to be missed:Tim Hayward's step-by-step Haggis

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

How are the flavour and texture of haggis (I read the description at the end of the step-by-step, but I'd love to hear more views)? This is something I've been curious about making/trying, but I've never even had an opportunity to try haggis; I briefly toyed with the idea of trying out a tinned one I saw at Meyers's of Keswick, then rejected the idea, since this is not likely the sort of thing that improves with tinning (they have a vegetarian version, too). I'm surmising that it must be like a cross between meatloaf and a coarsely-textured sausage. Please describe! If it's tasty I'd like to give it a go, and if there is enough whiskey going around, I could probably get this past my boyfriend without too many questions about the ingredients.

Edited by Mjx (log)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

It's pretty much a coarse meat loaf, yeah. Tastes pretty much like that, too. Not bad ... but nothing to get too excited about. Probably worth hunting some down at a gourmet butcher or something rather than making it unless you already know you like it--it's a lot of effort to go to, sourcing all the ingredients and such.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between