• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strangest/Funniest Hot Sauce Names

weinoo

So, I've got two - and photographic evidence. Obviously, photos are not necessary; what are the strangest/funniest/weirdest hot sauce names you've ever seen?

SprintPhoto Hot Sauce 1.jpg

SprintPhoto Hot Sauce 2.jpg

BTW, both were seen recently at Kalustyan's.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

There are so many and so many new ones appearing every few weeks, this could be an endless list.

My favorite recent sighting was Stairway to Hell Habanero Hot Sauce

described here

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That guy on the Colon Cleaner label looks like he means business.

Keeping with the alimentary theme, there is a hot sauce called Anal Armageddon. I saw it in a shop in upstate NY somewhere, maybe Saranac Lake? It was a few years ago but I recall the store was 100% dedicated to hot spices from all over the world, leading up to a glass cabinet containing a small vial of pure capsaisin.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

On my once-a-year pilgrimage to L.A. Farmers Market, I always visit Light My Fire, the shop dedicated to hot sauces.

It is an experience not to be missed for any chile-head visiting the L.A. area.

They carry over a thousand sauces, 99% hot.

For those dedicated to the ultimate burn, the hottest can be ordered from Pepperheads

and they now have Jolokia (ghost pepper) pepper products.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Go into Google Images and search on "hot sauce labels". There are dozens and dozens, including "Bernie in Hell", "Ass Murdering Hot Sauce" (showing the four-legged animal belly up with a bottle beside it), "Hog in Heat", "Burning Desire", "Crazy Jerry's Brain Damage & Mind Blowin' Hot Sauce" and lots more. Great fun to look at-- I don't know about actually consuming many of them.

Dick in Northbrook, IL

• 4 weeks later...

While digging into the mysterious depths of my "auxiliary" pantry, I moved a gallon can of olives (don't ask) and discovered these five, long-lost and unopened bottles of hot sauces.

The Thunder Bay Fire Island bottle was encased entirely in a shrink-wrap sleeve that had adhered to the label and tore it when I removed the sleeve. (Mostly because it was nearly opaque in spots.)

I don't recall when I bought these but they have been in that dark corner for a minimum of three years.

Some of the names are marginally funny or strange, the Dave's item is pretty tame. Hopefully they are still good.

HPIM3882.JPG

I'm a hot sauce lover and appreciate clever names as much as the next person, but this sauce is the only one that I've ever tried that lives up to the name on the label, "The Final Answer."

I made the mistake of consuming a teaspoonful once . . . BAD IDEA. As the label warns, do not consume this sauce straight from the bottle - use only as an additive to another dish (e.g. chili).

I saw one years ago that was called Ass on Fire, had a donkey (ass - though I yet have to research why they are called that) with it's - well - ass on fire on the label :-)

I once entertained to collect these, and my wife might suggest that I actually do, but once I saw how many are out there I gave up on that. I think the house is not big enough for all of them :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I like the one produced by our own Steve Sando of Rancho Gordo:

Gay Caballero

And, not surprisingly, it's pretty tasty, too.

Plenty of tasty zip.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 weeks later...
From the early days of hot sauces: Inner Beauty.

Best name -- and sauce -- ever. Clicky.

Hey Chris, I'm going to try to make this today. I have a few questions, though.

What size/variety of mango did you use? We get a smallish Manila here, which is great because they're my favorite for eating off the bone, but I'm not sure they're correct for the recipe.

How critical are the molasses? These are unavailable here. Can I substitute with corn syrup?

EDIT: Asking here because I'm not allowed to reply in the linked thread.

Edited by Dakki (log)

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I have a jar of Death Rain in the spice cabinet I'm fond of. A little sprinkle goes a long way. I always thought Acid Rain would be a good name for a hot sauce with a healthy vinegar component...

I miss Inner Beauty Sauce. It was one of the first I fell in love with when I became a hot sauce junkie decades ago. I might have to make me some of that just to have it around again.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

From the early days of hot sauces: Inner Beauty.

Best name -- and sauce -- ever. Clicky.

What size/variety of mango did you use? We get a smallish Manila here, which is great because they're my favorite for eating off the bone, but I'm not sure they're correct for the recipe.

I'd use a couple of those, as I usually have access only to the larger varieties here. It will change the flavor somewhat, but, hey, I prefer to think of them as "vintages." :wink:

How critical are the molasses? These are unavailable here. Can I substitute with corn syrup?

I'd substitute something more like brown sugar, palm sugar if you can find it. You don't really need it for thickness, but you want that slightly bitter sweetness that molasses brings.

EDIT: Asking here because I'm not allowed to reply in the linked thread.

Yes, that's a RecipeGullet entry, not a discussion topic. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts