• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yangming in Bryn Mawr

pennbrew

On "CBS Sunday Morning" Bill Geist attended the Chinese Restaurant Awards (a quick Google didn't turn up anything on these awards). Best restaurant title went to Yangming.

I don't see any egullet discussions about the place, any comments? Is it worth trying?

Thanks!

---Guy

Edited by pennbrew (log)

On "CBS Sunday Morning" Bill Geist attended the Chinese Restaurant Awards (a quick Google didn't turn up anything on these awards). Best restaurant title went to Yangming.

I don't see any egullet discussions about the place, any comments? Is it worth trying?

Thanks!

---Guy

Here's the list:

Chinese Restaurant Awards

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yangming is good. Don't forget it's in the 'burbs, tho', where there's a dearth of all those good things that we take for granted downtown.

Han Dynasty isn't on the list anywhere, so that pretty much tells me what I need to know...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I would take these ratings with a very large grain of salt, considering how few of these places are where lots of Chinese people live / work. I would guess that there are either fees to enter, or that actual Chinese places don't bother to enter. I don't even see how useful these rankings are, given that most people live near only a small fraction of them.

Also, the criteria surrounding decor etc. will disqualify some (though certainly not all) "authentic" restaurants, especially the more down-home sort.

Steven Shaw posted about these awards in an interesting thread a while back:

Top 100 Chinese Restaurant Awards and more>>

In that thread, he explained how the awards work:

In researching that story I learned a little about the awards process. A restaurant applies for an award and, presumably, pays a fee to cover the evaluation process. A "mystery diner" working for the AboutFace corporation visits the restaurant anonymously and files an extensive report, which forms a big percentage of a restaurant's score. There's also a consumer-feedback component and an editorial panel that evaluates the restaurant based on reputation, standing in the industry, etc. All these numbers are crunched together and the rankings come out of that.

What's more, there are 100 winners in each of many categories, so a Top 100 award has varying significance... especially when the comparison is only among the places that chose to enter this particular competition. Still, it's not completely meaningless, and to be chosen as number one in any given category, especially best overall restaurant, is probably indicative of a reliably solid place.

But I've never been to Yangming. I seem to recall them occasionally hosting visiting chefs from China, and I have always meant to visit during those times in particular. Probably worth keeping an eye out for.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Yangming once. DH and I adored it.

Unfortunately, we have too little free time these days and it's pretty inconvenient for us to get there. If it was closer, it would likely be my go-to place. We ate there when they had a visiting chef from Sichuan and my DH kept laughing at all the happy-noises I made throughout the meal. I can't wait to go back.

I highly recommend it!

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

Looks like a popularity contest. Like city magazine's "best of." Have been to 6 or 7 the list. Two are good for the suburbs--including Yangming, although others, like Changsho in Cambridge, MA, are completely missing. A couple are barely passable. Interesting to see Yank Sing hanging in there at #2 after all these years.