• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do You Eat Shrimp Heads, Body Shells & Tails?

I used to live in Thailand and often ate Tom Yum Gung (Prawn). I left the tails on the side of the plate. Then a mate said to me that his friend's wife ate the lot. From then on I did too. Never looked back.

I used to pull everything off - the head, the tail, etc. But since no one else around me was, I felt awkward, and just started eating them whole. I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I'm getting used to it.

I've developed the knack of peeling the shell with the shrimp IN my mouth. :blink: If the shrimp is large, I'd bit half of it into my mouth, roll it around with my tongue and spit out the shell.

In Ah Leung's pictorial, I don't think the shells would be crispy enough to chew and swallow (you did, Erin?!) If the shells were really crispy, I still don't eat much of the shell but definitely eat the tail - shell and all!

Hubby does not eat the tail part, meat or shell. He thinks it's too fishy. That's fine by me 'cos I love it - where all the flavour is, More for moi. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I sometimes eat shrimp tails, but only if they've been deep-fried to a crisp - not grilled, not baked. I'll suck on the heads but never eat them, I'm paranoid about choking on that hard pointy bit at the top.

My DH will eat the shrimp shells & tails, and sometimes even prawn shells too. I don't know how he manages to choke down & digest prawn shells.....

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely eat the whole thing, including the head. My most amazing Chinese restaurant appetizer is tiny shrimps dipped live from a tank where they move like a snowstorm. They're flash-cooked for maybe 30 seconds and served with a dipping sauce made primarily of soy sauce and ginger.

Does anyone know the sauce ingredients?