• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do You Eat Shrimp Heads, Body Shells & Tails?

Over in this topic we are discussing NYC restaurant annoyances, and LPShanet commented on the practice of leaving the last bit of shell and tail on shrimp when serving them, particularly in a fine-dining setting. It came up that in some cultures the tail portion actually gets eaten, rather than what I think of as the typical behavior here in the US of cutting them off and leaving them on the edge of your plate (or even in a non-fine-dining setting, picking them up and squeezing the tail to get that last shrimp segment, but still leaving the last bit of shell and tail behind).

So, do you eat the tail? Why or why not?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I do press the meat out of the tail end, but don't eat the shell; I don't know whether the shrimp I've eaten have simply had remarkably robust shells or something, but a tentative nibble has always made it quite clear that my teeth are just not going to break down the chitin well enough for it to be pleasant to swallow... so I pass on that.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

It depends on the preparation. If the tail is crispy as in a grilled or fried dish I enjoy it. Generally if the shrimp has just been boiled, steamed or quickly sauted I leave it after getting the last bit of meat out.

Like most people, I will eat them when fried (especially as the cooking process helps to break down the tough proteins in the shell and makes it easier to consume them), but I don't (or don't always) eat the tails if prepared other ways because the shell is too tough in those contexts.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Years ago, I competed in obedience trials with my dogs. They all loved fish/seafood. When travelling for trials, I'd order shrimp for dinner, discreetly wrap the tails in my napkin and take them back to the hotel. Back in the room, I'd play a little game of "find it" with whichever dog was competing that weekend. I'd hide a shrimp tail under the nightstand, or bathmat, let doggie smell my fingers, and say "Find It!" They had great fun searching out the tasty bites. :laugh: I always made sure there were no leftovers-left-behind, but that was rarely a worry.

I was eating at a new Japanese restaurant Friday and had some soba soup with some really great tempura to go with it. I made a comment to the waitress that I wished the shrimp tails were more edible because I really wanted the last of that crispy batter. She looked at me funny and told me to put them in the soup and eat them. They turned out great. A little chitinous, but overall great. I've always avoided tails before, but maybe I won't on fried shrimp in the future.

This does make me wonder about another dish at a Chinese restaurant in my hometown. They remove the legs from and devein the shrimp, but then leave the shells on and flour (cornstarch?) it. Then it's flash fried in peanut oil with lots of garlic, salt and pepper. I always thought it was weird that the seasonings all went on on top of the shells. Was I supposed to be eating them whole this whole time? The waitstaff never mentioned anything. I usually peeled the shells and ate the shrimp, licking my fingers to get all the great seasonings.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

If it's fried and the shell is crunchy, yup.

Same here - they are delicious!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fried crispy: eat it all. Otherwise, I don't care for the shell but find that if cooked properly, the meat pulls cleanly and easily out of that little bit of tail shell. Even those tiny meat tail "feathers" will pull out, and are worth eating. Unfortunately it's not exactly easy to do at the table with any style or grace.

I guess I figure if the kitchen has left the tail shell on, regardless of the type of restaurant, it's OK to do what is necessary to get all the meat. It would be a shame not to.

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

I have a friend that loves eating those tails with fried shrimp. I tried it once, just because she insisted.

To me, it was just as though I fear it might if I were eating a cockroach.

I didn't like it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Like others have said, I eat them if they're fried crispy. Heck, I eat some of the shells as well if they're crispy.

Oh yes- there is a cheap steam table combo Chinese place here that does fried whole in the shell with heads on shrimp. Like those chips that you can't eat just one of.

Traditionally, New Orleans "Barbeque" shrimp, which isn't barbequed at all, but oven-braised (or stove-top braised) in a butter/garlic/lemon/Tabasco/Worcestershire sauce broth, is served with heads/shells on. You eat it all, and sop up the broth with crusty bread.

*YOU* may do that. *I* make my New Orleans Barbeque shrimp with shelled, tail-on, shrimp, from which I extract the last little morsel of tail meat, and leave the spent shell on my side plate.

I still sop up the broth with crusty bread, though.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Am I the only one that finds the texture of shrimp shells/tails to be what I imagine eating plastic would be like? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Depending on how they prawns are cooked, the tails aren't a huge problem for me. A bowl of small deep-fried prawns is nice, eaten whole, but I have a problem with the heads. They taste nice but the mouthfeel--all those sharp bits--really doesn't do it for me. Feels like something I shouldn't be eating. As the prawns get bigger the mouthfeel of the head gets more offensive.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Fried, crispy tails -- eat everything -- if head is fried, that's fair game, too!

About the New Orleans Barbecued Shrimp, I lived in New Orleans for over 20 years and never saw anyone eating the heads or tails. That may be just me, because it's mostly a dish served at home. I have eaten them at Mr. B's, too, and still didn't see anyone eating the heads. But to each his own. It wouldn't hurt anyone to eat them.

Rhonda

I don't understand serving shrimp with their "pants" on, particularly in a salad. I want every morsel of shrimp, dammit! I confess I have eaten the tail of fried shrimp, but it depends on the company and the place. If I'm cooking shrimp, you can bet I peel them completely before cooking and serving (unless they're boiled or barbecued, then it's every man for himself).

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.