• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best burger in London!?

I have been asked to recommend someone where they can get the best burger in London. Any views would be welcome. I have heard good things about the one at the Hawksmere and Goodman Steak (I haven't tried a burger at either). I love the one Joe Allen offers and wasn't that impressed with the Woolsey (just thier burger not anything else I have had there!).

Andrew

The Harrods Rotisserie (in the food court) serves the "£100 Gourmet Burger", which I could never afford so I just took a photo of the menu instead.

It is described as "A hand cut fillet of beef burger laced with foie gras and truffle, served in a fresh truffled brioche bun. Served with foie gras souffle, espuma and oven baked potato wedges".

I don't know if it is the best burger in London, but it's probably the most expensive.

In my experience, the best burger in London is the one you have after 6 pints at the pub watching Liverpool beat Man United...

hawksmoor has the edge on the goodman burger. there is more burger choice at the seven dials branch than city. boulud also good. depends on your criteria, hawksmoor is certainly the largest, and comes with a side of bearnaise which is always welcome.

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

It is described as "A hand cut fillet of beef burger laced with foie gras and truffle, served in a fresh truffled brioche bun. Served with foie gras souffle, espuma and oven baked potato wedges".

"Oven baked potato wedges" - for £100 ? What the hell ... anyway, sounds horrid.

I like the burger at Goodman. I think it's a pretty good bargain considering it's a steakhouse. It comes with fries, bacon and cheese all for one price.

I would not however, recommend Byron Burger. Sorry to the poster above.

i agree the goodman burger is the value pick there deffo, quite liked the byron burger but not the experience, nearly as expensive as the goodman burger by the end in a fast food setting.

worst value burger - but i have one every time and it's always packed - burger king at geneva airport £9+ for big king meal on sunday night!

Ambra - That's interesting, any more feedback on the Byron burger?

I've been to the Islington branch and it's ok - very similar to GBK ie an upmarket Burger King but nothing really to write home about. Good value if you're looking for a quick snack that is better than BK but not to go for a meal.

Ambra - That's interesting, any more feedback on the Byron burger?

Well, I'm kind of a burger fanatic so keep that in mind. I went to the one on King's Rd. The meat was grey and stayed with me undigested for the entire day. It was convenient to where I was staying so I decided to try it again. And the burger still stayed like a brick in my stomach for the duration of the day.

I also didn't think the sides were anything to write home about.

I had also asked for Med. Rare both times and neither time did I actually get anything less than medium well.

Waitress was lovely though. Same gal both times.

Just a whole different ballgame meat quality I guess.

I second the Bar Boulud burger, although we have only eaten the Piggie burger, and not yet tried the Frenchie or the Yankee. I,m certain they are equally as good, if not better.

The Goodman burger gets our vote for value for money, as a whole host of extras are thrown in. Very good quality also.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I suggested they visit Goodman and they were really impressed!

I happened to have an hour over lunchtime on Friday to kill between meetings so decided to try the burger at Hawksmore at Seven Dials. Having eaten in the restaurant I thought it would be interesting to try their burger. Well I was really unimpressed with the burger but the customer service was excellent.

I ordered the burger (cooked medium), triple cooked chips and a green salad. The salad was good, well seasoned and very fresh. The chips were good (not as good as the Hinds Head but still good). The problem was with the burger. It came raw, it looked like steak tatare! They apologised and brought me another one. This one was cooked perfectly on the outside but inside it was still raw. They looked really embarrased and offered me a third. I deecided it was easier to quit, however they refused to charge me for the meal (inc drinks). I was more than happy to pay for everything except the burger but they were insistant. The perfect customer service.

Would I go back - certainly, I'd just stikc to the steak and give the burger a miss.

hot the heels of the goodman burger the other week also managed the hawksmoor seven dials burger too. It was a decent burger but i don't think as good as at the mothership, iirc this one is slighty smaller and doesn't come as standard with bacon and a small bearnaise as it did at spitalfields, i think that is still the standard bearer but i know what you mean about the cuisson, they tend to be under rather than over cooked in my limited experience.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Not a winner of the best Burger in London award but possibly the best value for money award - Byron. I had a quick burger there the other day and was really impressed. It is an upmarket fast food joint, similar to GBC but the burgers are excellent. Ok, they are not up to Goodman or Hawksmoor standard at ~£10 for a burger and chips they are great value.

Was re-reading the thread after it got bumped up from 18 months ago, and realised that I forgot to make my own suggestion - Bodean's. I did some work over the road from the Soho branch and their burgers were always a highlight.