• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitchin Kitchen

David Ross

Do some producers have no shame? The modern world may have sunk to a new low with the program "Bitchin Kitchen" currently airing on the Cooking Channel.

If you haven't seen it, enter at your own risk and be prepared to be immediately turned off by the host, Nadia G., (short for Giosia). Billed on her website as "the Julia Child of the Net Generation," the show is set in a "candy-colored kitchen decked out in animal print and leather." Ms. G., apparently gained her cooking skills in 2007 when she debuted "Bitchin Kitchen" as a three minute mobile show. A runaway success, the show quickly gained the attention of mainstream broadcast media." And the world of cooking on television has been all the poorer for it.

Ms. G's attempts at street slang in her broken English-Russian-Italian goomba dialect only add to the pain one goes through as one watches her "chop a little onion, EH-EH-EH."

Can this be the all-time low-brow level of television cooking programs?

I saw all I needed to see in the 30 seconds of the commercial for it. That was enough to know that I'd rather walk through a piranha pond in blood sausage underwear than watch that show. "Can I get a whoop-whoop." :hmmm:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I don't think I made it to the first commercial break before changing the channel..Perhaps 3 minutes was all we should take of her. I find the cooking attire a little over the top too. I can't even remember what she was cooking, just the hideous kitchen and accent.

I must be getting old...more of these quirky shows are just annoying me now.

I hadn't heard of this before, but a quick search on YouTube has demonstrated there -is- someone worse than Sandra Lee out there.

Just remember, people... the lower pop TV sets the bar, the better us real enthusiasts look. :smile:

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Yeah, I'd still rather watch her than Sandra Lee. At least it has the train wreck appeal...Semi Homemade just makes me angry and my children wonder why mommy is yelling at the tv...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Funny, these shows get the opposite reaction from me. Semi-homemade is pure unintentional comedy, this other thing (well, the few minutes of I've seen of it) attempts hip and comical and achieves lame and unfunny.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Frankly, I think some of the revulsion from the eGullet demographic is generation gap.

I'm of the middle-aged demographic who has been enjoying quality food tv since Julia Child and Graham Kerr so I agree that this is crap.

I also don't think she's hot enough looking to get away with something of such low entertainment value.

I'm not a Sandra Lee hater. She's hot and, while some of her stuff is crap, I think she takes a few reasonable shortcuts to save time.

Because she's the evil monkey from Family Guy.

Watched about 30 seconds - she made pesto - and while she is annoying, at least she was using real ingredients and not dumbing it down. The kitchen set is incredibly atrocious though and her accent is grating - couldn't tell if it was real or all an act, although I lean towards act.

It just seemed like a show built around a gimic. Not surprising from Food Network, although I do love the show Aarti Party, I think she was the last winner of the Next Food Network star. She is absolutely delightful, and is also showing a cuisine that is very under-represented in the food tv world.

Frankly, I think some of the revulsion from the eGullet demographic is generation gap.

I'm of the middle-aged demographic who has been enjoying quality food tv since Julia Child and Graham Kerr so I agree that this is crap.

I also don't think she's hot enough looking to get away with something of such low entertainment value.

I'm not a Sandra Lee hater. She's hot and, while some of her stuff is crap, I think she takes a few reasonable shortcuts to save time.

My college-aged son said that she's "a retard". So I'm not so sure that it is generational. Contrived and lame is contrived and lame.

My college-aged son said that she's "a retard". So I'm not so sure that it is generational. Contrived and lame is contrived and lame.

I don't want to get into a pissing match but one person does not constitute a generation. You don't think that show targets a 15-25 yo age demographic?

Edited by CDRFloppingham (log)

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch, but I don't hate it. Julia Child of the net generation? Never!

IMO it appeals to the pretty young demographic. My 13 and 15 yr old nieces liked it, and even cooked themselves some brussel sprouts and carrots as a result.

To put David Rocco in the same sentence as this Bitchin woman, is surely some mistake.

He has made some great dishes in episodes I have seen, while more than 5 seconds of hearing that woman talk, let alone having to watch her cook is enough to make me want to throw rocks at my TV.

I'm coming up on 50 fast, and I like it.

I've seen 3 or 4 episodes and laughed all the way through the break up episode.

She can cook with real ingredients, so I don't get the Sandra Lee comparisons.

She isn't Julia.

So what's wrong with having a little fun?

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.