• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

WhiteTruffleGirl

VacMaster VP210 vs. VacMaster VP112

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a chamber vacuum. After two Food Savers crapping out on me, I'm not interested in throwing good money after bad. That, and I'd like to do things like compressing fruits, braising, etc., so a chamber vacuum is a priority.

From what I can tell the VacMaster VP 210 and the VacMaster VP112 are the most value-priced options. (Although being value-priced doesn't necessarily make them the most cost-effective.) I've read snippets about both of these units on some old threads, but am hoping someone can tell me the practical difference between these two units beyond footprint, price and the width of the sealing bar? As well, do you feel they are well built?

I'm ready to pull the trigger, just don't want to make a mistake.

Tx

JBailey   

A couple things you want to consider -

1) Is the size and especially the depth of the chamber adequate for the product and items you wish to sous vide?

2) You may want to research a vacuum machine that has an oil pump rather than a rotary pump for life and durability

3) Is the width of the seal bar equal to the size bags you intend to use?

4) Some people believe a digital read-out is preferable to an analog guage

Good luck in your decision!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not that concerned about the chamber size, as I can always put product into several bags if required. A 10" vs. 12" seal gave me pause for thought, but ultimately, I'm not sure it would be a problem.

Dry piston vs. oil piston does give pause. Although, I'd only really care if it meant a dry piston may last five years, whereas an oil piston may last ten years. Like flat screen TVs and other "high tech" equipment, I suspect I'm playing "early adopter" here, so may be over-buying (paying) for something I'd like to ultimately replace in a few years anyway. Thoughts?

Edited by WhiteTruffleGirl (log)

sct4a   

I've had my VP210 for about a year now and its been fantastic. I've found it to be extremely well built and has stood up to pretty high use for a home kitchen. I had the same concerns over the dry piston but they were really quite unfounded after using this unit so much. I'd highly recommend it for home or small restaurant use.

sct4a   

Nope didnt consider the VP112 at all really. I was interested in something that would be highly reliable and well-built that would be able to reach a high level of vacuum for compression. IIRC the VP210 can reach a higher level than the VP112 when I spoke with the ARY rep. The VP112 also didnt look as sturdy and well-built as the VP210. It sort of appeared to me as a cheap knockoff entry model for the home/sous vide market they just became aware existed. I then brought the specs for the VP210 into a restaurant that does alot of sous vide in NYC and had the chef take a look who was kind enough to give his opinion. He wasn't able to find much of any difference between the VP210 and the one they use other than the speed and qty of bags you could seal per hour. Since I wasn't planning on doing 75+ bags an hour the VP210 was perfect for me.

Have you purchased the VP210 yet? The research I have done says the 112 and the 210 have exactly the same pump/motor and at over 50 pounds the 112 must have some substance to it (although it does make me wonder what the other 40 pounds of the 210 is made of).

Regardless of what the ARY rep told SCT4a, according to all literature, they reach the same vacuum and with the same pump and motor the longevity should be similar (if you look closely at pictures of each, the controls look very similar also).

I have ordered the VP112 from Quality Matters for 599.00, no tax and free shipping. I thought about the VP210 and was not concerned about the difference in price, more the weight of the unit and wondering what you are really getting for the price difference. If you are really concerned about higher quality than the VP112, I would not buy the VP210, but rather the VP215 with its more powerful oil pump. For less than 100.00 more than the VP215 you get more power and longevity than the 210. Quality Matters has this ready to ship for less than 1000.00 dollars.

I guess I should say, no affiliation with Quality Matters, they just gave me a great price with very quick shipping and were there to answer my questions.

abadoozy   

I thought about the VP210 and was not concerned about the difference in price, more the weight of the unit and wondering what you are really getting for the price difference. If you are really concerned about higher quality than the VP112, I would not buy the VP210, but rather the VP215 with its more powerful oil pump. For less than 100.00 more than the VP215 you get more power and longevity than the 210. Quality Matters has this ready to ship for less than 1000.00 dollars.

I have a VP112 for much the same reason as flightcook - if I could see a vast difference in performance or quality in the VP210, I would have bought it, but the size/weight difference between the two made the 112 much more attractive to me. I've had it almost a year now and absolutely no regrets.

Between the VP210 and VP112, I'd choose the VP112, since performance and durability are going to be similar.

However, the oil pump based VP215 should last considerably longer than the dry rocker pump VP210 and VP112, and if you're interested in compression, the VP215 has a much higher maximum vacuum than the VP210. The difference between 94%(VP210) and 99%(VP215) for compression purposes is significant.

PS: Chamber vacuums in the home definately fall into the "early adopter" catagory, but these machines have been around for a long time and the technology involved is pretty basic, so no need to be concerned about "bugs" that might have to be worked out.

Edited by GlowingGhoul (log)

I've had my 112 for a while now and it's a quality machine. I also had to decide (could have bought either one), and what finally made it for me was the weight difference. I knew that mine would NOT be in my kitchen and would be stored somewhere else. The thought of trying to horse around with the 90 lb. 210 vs. the 50 lb. 112 was the difference for me.

I thought that the 210 had options for a double sealer bar and hte 112 has doesn't. In the end I'm very happy with the 112 and belive I made the right decision (for my needs). Good luck and have fun!

Todd in Chicago

EDIT: P.S. I got my VP112 from Conrad over at Homestead Harvest as was recommended by this forum. I also purchased 1000 of the medium sized bags and 1000 of the larger sized bags. I think when buying them in bulk like that, with shipping and tax I belive they came out to about 8 or 10 cents a bag.

Edited by Todd in Chicago (log)

I have a VP112 for much the same reason as flightcook - if I could see a vast difference in performance or quality in the VP210, I would have bought it, but the size/weight difference between the two made the 112 much more attractive to me. I've had it almost a year now and absolutely no regrets.

I should agree on this one as well. I think it is one of the most popular model in the market today. Size/weight difference of the 112 is what makes this model stand out against the 210.

cookman   

VP215 has a much higher maximum vacuum than the VP210. The difference between 94%(VP210) and 99%(VP215) for compression purposes is significant.

Does the difference in vacuum make a difference for sous viding? Is there a problem with bags floating more with the VP210 vs the VP215 because there is more air left in them?

My VP210 will easily boil water at room temperatures or so, and typically with anything slightly wet, I have to monitor it to prevent boiling. I think the VP210 will pull more then adequate vacuum for the vast majority of cases, particularly if there is any vapour in the chamber which will limit the vacuum that can be generated in any case. Most food applications will have some vapour.

Cookman...

I believe that the 210 and 215 are bigger brothers of the 112. I have the 112 and you can make the vacuum pretty much as tight as you want. The only time I've had problems with bags floating are with vegetables (doesn't matter what sealer you use, possible to run into gas release problems), and when purposefully do not pull a heavy vacuum, such as when not wanting to "crush" fish.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

adefiore   

Todd,

Can you measure your 112 for me? I am interested in front to back numbers. I would like to place this machine in a drawer in my base cabinets and need to know if this will fit. I know they say 24" but I want to see some real world numbers.

Thanks

Adefiore.....

Just measured....24 inches is an accurate measure, including the plastic piece that sticks out the back for the plug. I would say if you could spare a 1/2 inch or inch, the cord wouldn't be bent at a crazy 90 degree angle.

Love this machine....it's a perfect match for my SVS.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

adefiore   

Todd,

Thanks for the measurement. I was hoping you would tell me that the 24 was a little on the long side. I would need it to be 23 or 23 1/4 to fit. I guess I need to plan for this to just sit on the counter, don't tell my wife.

Msk   

I have a VP112 and love it. I bought it for the form factor as moving aroung the other ones is basically impossible. No regrets here.

Mike

mharpo   

I also settled on the 112 because of convenience issues and it has worked great for my needs. I put mine on an old TV cart w/casters and roll it somewhere out of the way when not in use.

Photo2.jpg

Edited by mharpo (log)

LOL....

Mine is stored on top of my dryer in the laundry room! I cover it with a towel so no debris gets in when not in use. I LOVE this machine, but my better half would never have it on display...even if it is shiny....and beautiful...and perfect. LOL...

Todd in Chicago

Any suggestions of where to buy the VP112 and bags in Canada?

I called QualityMatters.com to order my VP112 and they have a $15 off coupon code for Egullet members - It's EG-VP112. I don't know if they ship to Canada, though.

• Similar Content

• By eG Forums Host
      Introduction

Welcome to the index for the Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques, & Equipment topic, one of the largest and most influential topics on eG Forums. (The topic has been closed to keep the index stable and reliable; you can find another general SV discussion topic here.) This index is intended to help you navigate the thousands of posts and discussions to make this rich resource more useful and accessible.

In order to understand sous vide cooking, it's best to clear up some misconceptions and explain some basics. Sous vide cooking involves vacuum-sealing food in a plastic bag and cooking it in a water bath at precise temperatures. Though it translates literally as "under vacuum," "Sous vide" is often taken to mean "under pressure," which is a misnomer; not all SV cooking involves food cooked in conditions that exceed atmospheric pressure. (See below.) In addition, calculations for SV cooking involve not only time and temperature but also thickness. Finally, due to the anaerobic conditions inside the bag and the low temperatures used, food safety issues are paramount.

You can read the basics of SV cooking and equipment here. In the summer of 2005, Nathan Myhrvold (Society member nathanm) posted this informative, "I'm now going to answer my own initial questions" post, which addresses just about everything up to that point. For what came next, read on -- and be sure to order Nathan Myhrvold's highly anticipated Modernist Cuisine book, due in spring 2011.

As with all indexes of on-going discussions, this one has limitations. We've done our best to create a user-friendly taxonomy emphasizing the categories that have come up repeatedly. In addition, the science, technology, and recipes changed over time, and opinions varied greatly, so be sure to read updated information whenever possible.

Therefore, we strongly encourage you to keep these issues in mind when reading the topic, and particularly when considering controversial topics related to food safety, doneness, delta T cooking, and so on. Don't read a first post's definitive claim without reading down the topic, where you'll likely find discussion, if not heated debate or refutation, of that claim. Links go to the first post in a series that may be discontinuous, so be sure to scan a bit more to get the full discussion.

Recipes were chosen based solely on having a clear set of information, not on merit. Indeed, we've included several stated failures for reference. Where possible, recipes include temperature and time in the link label -- but remember that thickness is also a crucial variable in many SV preparations. (See below for more information on thickness.)

History, Philosophy & Value of SV/LTLT Cooking

Over the years, we've talked quite a bit about SV as a concept, starting with this discussion about how SV cooking got started. There have also been several people who asked, Why bother with SV in the first place? (See also this discussion.) What with all the electronics and plastic bags, we asked: Does SV food lack passion? Finally, there have been several discussions about the value of SV cooking in other eG Forums topics, such as the future of SV cooking, No More Sous Vide -- PLEASE!, is SV "real cooking," and what's the appeal of SV?

Those who embrace SV initially seek ideas about the best applications for their new equipment. Discussions have focused on what a first SV meal should be -- see also this discussion -- and on the items for which SV/LTLT cooking is best suited. There's much more along those lines here, here, and here.

Vacuums and Pressure in Sous Vide Cooking

As mentioned above, there has been great confusion about vacuums, pressure, and their role SV cooking. Here is a selection of discussion points on the subject, arranged chronologically; please note that later posts in a given discussion may refute earlier ones:

Do you need a vacuum for SV cooking, and, if so, why? What exactly is a "vacuum"? Click here, here, and ff. Are items in vacuum-sealed bags "under pressure"? Does a vacuum sealer create a vacuum inside the bag? Do you really need a vacuum, or can you use ZipLoc bags? Also see here, here, and here. If "sous vide" means "under pressure," aren't the items in the bag under pressure? There is more along these lines to be found in this discussion.  

The Charts

We've collected the most important of many charts in the SV topic here. Standing above the rest are Nathan Myhrvold's charts for cooking time versus thickness and desired core temperature. We worked with him to create these three reformatted protein tables, for beef, fish, and chicken & pork.

Nathan provides additional information on his charts here. Information on how to read these charts can be found in this post. For an explanation of "rest time" in Nathan's tables, click here.

Other Society members helped out as well. Douglas Baldwin references his heating time table for different geometric factors (slab/cylinder/sphere) here; the pdf itself can be found here. pounce created a post with all three tables as neatly formatted images. derekslager created two monospace font charts of Nathan's meat table and his fish table.

Camano Chef created a cumulative chart with information gathered from other sources including Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. Douglas Baldwin shared this chart devoted to pasteurizing poultry. PedroG detailed heat loss and steady state energy consumption of sous vide cookers in these charts.

Finally, there is also an eG Forums topic on cooling rates that may be of interest.

Acknowledgment & Comments

This index was built by Chris Amirault, Director, eG Forums. It was reviewed by the eGullet Society volunteer team as well as many Society members. Please send questions or comments to Chris via messenger or email.

• By Paul Bacino
      Wonder if someone could get me in the ballpark..the amount of Transglutamase...to make scallop noodles..    %  I mean

ill use a food processor..to purée the scallop..  then inject into a water or broth..to cook?
    • By TomRahav
      Hi,
      I've tried to make the spherical mussels recipe from the Modernist Cuisine books and it didn't work as I expected, so I would appreciate any advice that may help here.
      The recipe calls for calcium gluconate which I couldn't get hold of, so I replaced it with calcium lactate gluconate that I had at home. I used the same ration (2.5%)
      When I tried to create the spheres in the sodium alginate bath I encountered two main problems;
      1. instead of spheres the mixture just stayed as uneven shape on the surface. The bath was 1Kg. water with 5gr. sodium alginate and I let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours before using it so I think the problem is not here. However, the mussels jus mixture (100gr. mussels jus, 0.5gr. xanthin gum and and 2.5gr. calcium lactate gluconate) had a lot of air bubbles in it. Can that be the issue?
      2. In the book the spheres seem to be completely transparent whereas my mussels jus mixture was pretty white and opaque. Is it because I replaced calcium gluconate with calcium lactate gluconate? Or maybe it's because the jus itself should be clarified before it is used?
      Thanks in advance for your support,
      Tom.
    • By chriswrightcycles
      Good afternoon everyone!

I currently own a MiniPack MVS31x chamber style vacuum sealer and am wondering if a Polycience vacuum canister will work in my machine? The intended use is for making a larger batch of aerated mousse. 
    • By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah