• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seville Oranges:

Darienne

Sometimes we get Seville oranges in Peterpatch. Sometimes we don't. Last year there were none.

Has anyone seen them yet in Ontario? Where, please?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Darienne:

I haven't actually seen any but Farm Boy advertised them in their flyer this week, although they did not give a price. Want me to keep an eye out?

Elsie

Thanks Elsie. We have a Farm Boy here and I'll look there on Tuesday. Just fetched the flyer out of the recycling and there's no Seville Oranges in Peterpatch I guess. I'll still check.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks. The produce manager in the most cosmopolitan grocery store in Peterpatch says he can't get them this year. Oh well...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Let the marmalade making begin!!!

Second thought: why would Guelph get their Seville oranges before Peterborough????

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

In case you live in an area where Seville oranges are difficult, if not impossible to find, I just ordered some from

The Orange Shop in Florida.

I can usually get some from a relative of one of my neighbors - Ojai, CA., but this year his crop was severely reduced because of weather conditions.

I need to make enough marmalade and zest syrup to last a year so ordered some from this place, where I know the quality is excellent. (I had already ordered some of the Page oranges which are never available in my area).

In any event, this is a good source if anyone is interested.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't seen them yet but I'm hoping. Our local privately owned grocery store was officially bought out as of January 1 by Sobeys and it seems to be having a positive effect on the produce department. I already got fresh habaneros, collards and tomatillos this year... none of which have ever been in that store since I've lived here.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are having difficulty finding fresh Seville oranges to make marmalade, Amazon again has the MaMade thin cut (canned), which I have used in the past with great success.

(The thick cut is still out of stock.)

The product used to be available in larger cans - the ones I had would produce 20 pints of finished marmalade.

Mamade also used to offer a lemon base and a 3-fruits base, orange/lemon/grapefruit, but apparently discontinued these items.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett