• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking classes in northern ireland?

i have a dear friend/cooking student who is fulfilling a dream with a trip to ireland in june. she would love to take some cooking classes during her visit. ballymaloe's schedule is not yet available for that period, but she hopes to attend a class there. where else should i suggest to her? thanks in advance for your help.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The Belle Isle Cookery School in Northern Ireland is well rated, although I haven’t been there.

Another school worth considering is The Tannery Cookery School. Paul Flynn, the proprietor/head chef there is extremely accomplished (he worked as head chef with Nico Ladenis at Chez Nico in London), and he is very involved in the cookery school, so you get the benefit of his experience. He is also an exceptionally nice guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm a bit confused, because I thought Ballymaloe was in Cork in the south, not Northern Ireland. Another place not too far away from Cork to look into is Dunbrody House Cookery School in Wexford (actually closer to Waterford). I stayed there last summer and can't vouch for the quality of the school, but the hotel and restaurant were terrific.

you're correct, rickster. i should have been more clear. she's touring ireland, and is hoping to take a class or two at ballymaloe in southern ireland. she's looking to find a place to take classes in northern ireland, as well. sorry for the confusion!

your suggestion looks great, and i'll pass it along. thanks!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook