• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excited to be at eGullet

Even though we have been discussing Chinese cooking all week, today marks the official start of my Q & A. I just wanted to invite all of you to keep asking questions and give you some ideas about my particular areas of interest and expertise (and those where I have much to learn).

I know the most about how to make delicious food. Cooking techniques, food marketing, equipment, and recipes are all areas where I am strong. I have a lot of New York centric knowledge. Chinese food stores, restaurants, the different Chinatowns, the history of the US Chinese food industry over the last 30 years are other areas we could get into.

Unfortunately while I have traveled a lot I haven't lived all over the world. So if you start to ask about a particular place, I may or may not have familiarity with it.

Please don't forget that I am Jewish boy from Brooklyn whose grandmother made blintzes and matzoh balls, not fish balls and rice noodles. Sometimes there are areas of a cultural nature that I simply can't relate to because we celebrated Thanksgiving not The Dragon Boat Festival.

In any event, it's exciting to be here and I look forward to developing new relationships with those of you with similar passions and interests.

To the eGullet community: thanks for your participation. I hope to hear from you. Please take advantage of our new relationship. You're welcome to contact me by posting to the web site or email (when appropriate), and talk about anything.

Warm regards, Ed

Ed, I'm not supposed to play favorites. The party line is that every Q&A is great and we love all our guests. But I must say this has been a very special Q&A thus far and it's hard to believe it only officially started today! I feel as thought it has been a part of the site forever, and I wish it would never end. Would you consider ditching your career and other interests and always being on call to answer our questions? That would be great.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Okay, so if there's no off topic, let me ask if you've had a chance to look around this site and into the other message areas. Given your curiosity about food, your expertise in many areas of food and your interest in talking freely and openly about your passion for food and your enthusiasm for sharing your knowledge, I'm interested in your opinions about the rest of this site. I take your invitation to contact you by posting questions to the site as a sign you are going to hang around for a while.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Ed, you're a charmer. As well as very knowledgeable and helpful.

Too bad you don't like stinky tofu.

Thanks for your wonderful contributions.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo wrote

"Ed, you're a charmer. As well as very knowledgeable and helpful.

Too bad you don't like stinky tofu.

Thanks for your wonderful contributions."

Thanks for the compliment. But that doesn't mean I don't like people who like stinky dofu.

And to be consistent, I don't like stinky cheese either. Yuck! (I'm really quite provincial sometimes - in a worldly way).

Regards, Ed