• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reverse sushi

chef koo

Is it just me or is every form of maki sushi these days a reverse roll? As in the rice is on the outside. With the exception of a salmon roll and tuna roll, they're all inside out. Not that I care, and I've never been to Japan but it seems as if it might be another step for Japanese cuisine to be assimilated into the western world.

bork bork bork

If I had to guess, I'd say there were two big reasons why restaurants might put the rice outside the nori. Either the nori is not that good and wouldn't be fit to make the first impression with the diner, or they are reacting to some Western palate's aversion to the appearance/texture of nori. Perhaps the latter is a function of the former. We see a lot of bad and mistreated nori.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour