• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Schott Zwiesel Fortissimo

Mano

I'm considering Schott Zwiesel Fortissimo break resistant wine glasses. Does anyone have any experience with them? The former incarnation, Forte, was "for beginner and casual" use but the current crop is "Perfect for elegant entertaining," which is what I'm looking for.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

No experience with that glass.. I use the Forte SZ as my every day drinker. The stems look a we bit thinner.. compared to the Forte series, from what I saw. I think if I was to get one set, Burgundy would be my choice. I like the value of the product.

Good luck!! Cheers too!

Elegance.. look at http://www.winemonger.com/catalog/zalto-glassware.php

Paul

Its good to have Morels

At $62 each, elegant indeed!

I'm looking for something break resistant as I already have plenty of nice enough breakable wine glasses.

Edited by Mano (log)

I've never heard of this Zwiesel before. In the Pantheon of wine glases, how do you rank against something like Riedel?

They have a very nice balance, rims are just a bit thicker ( not much ), some what durable, reasonable cost... they are made with lead free material as opposed to the Vinum and Sommelier series.

I have twisted off my share of Riedel stems.. these I have been lucky with ..I just knock them over.. after to many bottles :blink:

Emannths: the higher cost is for Zalto stems.. click on my link

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

I've never heard of this Zwiesel before. In the Pantheon of wine glases, how do you rank against something like Riedel?

Both are well made and well respected German made glasses with a host of similar price points and products. Zwiesel may not have an equivalent of Riedel's super high-end Sommelier Series and Riedel markets the hell out of their glasses.

It appears Zwiesel is aggressively pursuing the break resistant market with their Tritan technology.

Edited by Mano (log)