• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greweling Passion fruit honey ganache

rebgold

Has anyone made the Passion fruit honey butter ganache? I love passion fruit and tart stuff but wow, reducing the puree made a seriously strong passion fruit tartness. I added a little extra glucose syrup,(ran out of honey) and dipped them in white chocolate for extra sweetness. I'm afraid customers aren't going to like them.

I also made the lavender ganache and cut the lavender in half and still thought it was pretty strongly lavender-y. Are my taste buds crazy?

Anyone else tried any of these more exotic ones?

Reb

I've used the formula for the lavender as a guide, but I don't make it in a slab. I didn't feel the lavender was too strong, but I also add vanilla bean to it. I had people tell me if it gets too strong, it tastes soapy. It might depend on how long you steep it. I found about 10-15 minutes is enough. I've meant to try a cold infusion with it, but just haven't gotten around too it.

I haven't made the honey passion fruit. I do make a passion fruit filling in white chocolate, and I use Perfect Puree's passion fruit, which is a concentrate. I use it as is, and it's one of my most popular flavors.

I made the passion fruit honey butter ganache using reduced passion fruit juice. It has been very popular!

I haven't tried the lavender yet but I agree with the previous poster who said if the lavender gets too strong it just tastes soapy. I think with lavender I would err on the side of caution....

I love passion fruit and tart stuff but wow, reducing the puree made a seriously strong passion fruit tartness. I added a little extra glucose syrup,(ran out of honey)

Honey is more sweet than glucose syrup, so if your substitution was significant, it may have affected the sweet/tart balance.

I added the glucose in addition the correct amount of honey, not as a substitution. I really think I just shouldn't have reduced my passion fruit puree. I double dipped them in white chocolate to add extra sweetness so hopefully that will balance it out some but I think the real problem is that if customers taste this batch and find it too tart they won't try it again even though I can correct it now that I've tasted it. It's also a lot of ganache to waste if it doesn't sell.

Reb

Which brand of passion fruit puree are you using? As RWood mentioned, Perfect Puree is already concentrated and doesn't need reducing. La Fruitiere is not concentrated and has some sugar, so much weaker in comparison. Haven't used Boiron that I recall.

I have been using Greweling's passion fruit white chocolate cream ganache recipe in molded chocolates and am quite happy with the flavor, molded in either dark or white. This may vary slightly from the original (book is at work), but this is what I use:

250 g white chocolate

65 g cream

20 g glucose syrup

70 g passion fruit perfect puree

20 g soft butter

Heat cream and glucose and pour over chocolate. Heat puree and pour over chocolate. Stir in butter. Let cool then pipe into prepared molds.