• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your NYC dining wish list for 2011

Fat Guy

Ever since we had a kid I've been struggling to stay semi-literate on the New York City dining scene. I keep a list of restaurants I want to try. The list keeps getting longer and plenty of places close before I get to try them. At the top of my list I have:

Corton

Maialino

Braeburn

Riverpark

Osteria Morini

You?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Brooklyn Fare is my number one target in Brooklyn. The trouble is, I never get more than 5 or so restaurants deep into my list before 5 more places get added, so Brooklyn rarely happens for me.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Same boat. Baby, budget, residing outside Manhattan. We are sad spectators. The upside is I’m cooking a lot and increasingly experimenting outside my comfort zone.

Itching to get to (In no particular order):

Tulsi

Aldea

Takashi

Breslin

Brooklyn Fare

Ma Peche

Corton

SHO

Morrini

Fatty Que

River Park

Minetta Tavern

Of course this is just scratching the surface…..

That wasn't chicken

Oh man, I never should have started this topic. My list is growing.

great topic as i've been rather sloppy about keeping a list. but yeah, i see how this could easily spin out of control as others post their list.

SHO

corton

bk fare

per se (incredibly overdue)

riverpark

lotus of siam

m wells

buttermilk channel

red rooster

fedora

ai fiori

millesime

ciano

recette

Okay, finally made a reservation for Corton for this coming Saturday.

Places that have been on the list for a while and that we never seem to be able to plan far enough in advance to get a reservation for, but we will do this this year--

WD-50

Per Se

Le Bernardin

Babbo

Work and small child haven't left much room to explore the cocktail scene that much in recent years, so being a little more organized about getting to places like PDT, Death & Co. and Pegu Club are on the list.

Okay, finally made a reservation for Corton for this coming Saturday.

Places that have been on the list for a while and that we never seem to be able to plan far enough in advance to get a reservation for, but we will do this this year--

WD-50

Per Se

Le Bernardin

Babbo

Work and small child haven't left much room to explore the cocktail scene that much in recent years, so being a little more organized about getting to places like PDT, Death & Co. and Pegu Club are on the list.

That's my exact list, though I'd like to add Les Halles and Eataly just for laughs.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

Eataly isn't a restaurant as such. Within Eataly are several foodservice and retail areas, including one restaurant, Manzo, where you can make reservations, and several other no-reservations restaurants like the pizza-and-pasta place. I think a visit to Eataly is an absolute must for current food cultural literacy in New York City but I don't necessarily think you have to eat at any of the restaurants.

• 1 month later...

In Manhattan:

Nuela

Marc Forgione

Le Bernardin

Toqueville

Telepan

SHO Shaun Hergatt

Jean Georges

Per Se

Park Avenue Spring, Summer, Winter

Perilla

Degustation

Torrisi

Ai Fiori

Ciano

Osteria Morini

Aldea

Colicchio and Sons

Riverpark

David Burke Townhouse

Abe and Arthur's

Aureole

Artisanal

Blue Hill

DB Bistro Moderne

Casa Mono

In Brooklyn:

Dressler

Diner

Buttermilk Channel

Prime Meats

Roberta's

Fette Sau

Yeah a lot but thats just half of it lol.