• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scallop sauce

Paul Bacino

Another variation of the citrus sauce, that I tasted once in a cooking demo, Scallops in Tangerine Sauce from Paula Wolfert's Cooking of Southwest France. Very good! The recipe is here:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/12328-scallops-in-tangerine-sauce

You can use a good brand of tangerine juice, like Odwalla, instead of fresh tangerines. The tangerine juice should be reduced to 1/3 cup.

None, if truly diver or day boat, eat as sashimi sliced then with a little lemon or fresh yuzu zest if you can find yuzu or flour with Wondra, salt, white pepper, fry in butter, and serve with lemon. The flavor of these types of scallops is to too good to be covered with a sauce.-Dick

Dick,

3108335131_7c483a6db5.jpg

Really dry, light dusting of wonder and a we bit of bread crumbs, italian seasoning!!

I would like to find the yuzu you talked of.. I looked for it once in Omaha.. with no luck.

Thanks

Its good to have Morels

I would also agree that a well cooked scallop is too good to be covered in a sauce. But a drop of sweet, thick balsamic vinegar can be complimentary, and in the last few months I've seen a number of recipes that pair scallops with pureed cauliflower.

Somehow this topic has veered off so that "served with a sauce" has become "covered with a sauce." Nobody here has suggested a heavy-duty sauced dish like Coquilles St Jacques. A complex acidic sauce, almost like a dipping sauce, will enhance those scallops--more so than ordinary lemon juice or vinegar, IMO.

Oh no!

Did you REALLY dust those in breadcrumbs and italian seasoning? *facepalm

Anyways...a nice corn sauce or veloute goes beautifully with scallops, though it's not the right time of year.

A light citrus vinaigrette would work well...maybe a reduction of fresh orange juice, mounted with a tiny bit of butter and perfumed with a touch of vanilla?

I didn't want to limit this to just citrus sauces.

Here.. I did a chowder base and topped the scallop with a bit of fennel powder

3186649468_a4a198584a.jpg

Maybe something with tarragon.. could work!! I do eat them plain and simple.. because these are so sweet..

Thanks so far!!

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels