• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kefir - A Few Favorite Uses

weinoo

It's a lot cheaper than yogurt - at least cheaper than the good yogurt. So one of the coolest uses I've found for kefir is to use it for an almost instant soup. Peel and seed a couple of cukes, into the blender with some seasoning (don't forget the dill and mint for cacik) and a few cups of kefir, boom - instant cold cucumber soup.

And I can sometimes find the pre-cooked beets (not the canned variety, but the vacuum packed ones from France), into the blender with some seasonings and kefir, boom - instant cold borscht.

Do you use kefir?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I use a strawberry flavored kefir in my morning smoothies. I've also used it with my Kashi cereal in place of milk.

I suppose you could use the plain kefir as you would use sour cream/yogurt in certain dishes (like in a tzatziki sauce), though it doesn't have the same body to it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I used to make my own but it is a bit more complicated than making yogurt - needs a different type of culture that is tricky to use consistently.

Now I simply prepare my regular yogurt (I use the cultures from New England Cheeesemaking supply) and use half & half instead of milk. This produces a very thick and creamy result which I then "thin" with low fat or non-fat milk to get the exact degree of pourability I want.

The yogurt will liquify more if worked with a blender but I usually just use a whisk to blend the yogurt and milk as I like it thicker.

The kefir available here is not cheaper than yogurt.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Love kefir... but aside from drinking it and pouring it over cereal, I don't use it as a culinary base. It is amazing the variety of "spoiled milk" products that are out there... the russian markets I go to for the best kefir selection have shelf-feet of stuff I barely understand so there must be use for all of them...

Some day, if I'm bored, flush, and feeling scientific, getting one of each of the varieties and doing taste-tests and pH readings would be a fun project.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Philly's Russian markets are out in the wilds of the upper Northeast. On Bustleton Ave just past Castor you'll find Bell's Market, and a couple miles further out Bustleton you'll find Net Cost Market. My primary purchases there are pelmeni, kefir, pickles, and occassionally pickled mushrooms. They've got a very european selection of lots of stuff...

Do a search for Bell's Market on eG.... that's where I found out about the markets out there, and there are lots of interesting suggestions from our fellow forum readers.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch