• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What New Ingredients Are You Trying Out?

Chris Amirault

I've had Nancy Silverton's Breads from La Brea Bakery for years, but have not made a serious attempt at following her methods; the last time I tried, I was still working 2 jobs and much too scattered. Now my attention may be scattered by too many projects, but I can at least start thinking about using the book again. Unfortunately, it's at home and I'm on the road at present. It'll be there when I get back to it.

Thanks for the recommendations on Ed Woods' books, and the source Sourdoughs International.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You can freeze cranberries. They keep for up to a year in the freezer, if you have one.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have been playing with cardamom. So far I have tried it with chocolate and with coffee. Both were amazing. What can I try with it next....

Cardamom is an amazing spice: used by Scandinavians in baked goods, used in Indian curries. Hmm, maybe I'll try a little cardamom next time I'm cooking chicken.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have been playing with cardamom. So far I have tried it with chocolate and with coffee. Both were amazing. What can I try with it next....

Cardamom is an amazing spice: used by Scandinavians in baked goods, used in Indian curries. Hmm, maybe I'll try a little cardamom next time I'm cooking chicken.

...and by "cardamom" you mean...what, exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_cardamom

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E8%8D%89%E6%9E%9C&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by huiray (log)

I was referring to the seeds contained in the greenish pods. I have no experience with black cardamom. ltimmis80 will have to answer your question separately; now that you mention it, I'm not certain which type she meant.

I use black cardamom only in savory dishes as it is quite strong and not at all like the sweet green cardamom. It is smoked to cure it, unlike the green which is just dried.

I rarely grind the seeds in black cardamom. I cook the whole pods (2 to 4 are sufficient) in the ghee or melted butter or coconut oil in which I will fry the other spices and aromatics. I remove the cardamom pods before adding vegetables or meat.

If you want to use it in a stew, and don't want to do the preliminary as above, put the pods in a spice or tea ball, like one of these, so you can retrieve them easily. I use one like this for a medley of spices, bay leaves, rosemary sprigs and cardamom pods in some of my base broths. I have several of these, different sizes and shapes for various applications.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nanami Togarashi.( aka Shichimi Togarashi I have just recently read. )

This stuff is highly addictive, I am constantly searching for things to sprinkle it on. I am wanting to do some grilled sideribs dry rubbed with it and fresh lemons squeezed over top as grilling. I think it will be killer good.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

This stuff is highly addictive, I am constantly searching for things to sprinkle it on. I am wanting to do some grilled sideribs dry rubbed with it and fresh lemons squeezed over top as grilling. I think it will be killer good.

Totally agree. Highly addictive. I've even sprinkled it on a simple poached egg. Divine.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Totally agree. Highly addictive. I've even sprinkled it on a simple poached egg. Divine.

Resides with my salt and pepper.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shichimi Togarishi.jpg

Sachimi Togarishi (Japanese: 七味唐辛子) or Nana-iro Tōgarashi (七色唐辛子) is Japanese 7 spice powder.

The actual ingredients differ from supplier to supplier, but the basics are red chili powder, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, dried tangerine peel and SIchuan peppercorns.The other two can be hemp seed, ground ginger, nori etc.etc.

The brand I'm using (pictured) is the five basics plus sweet basil and nori.

Shichimi Togarishi2.jpg

I find it works best as a condiment rather than a cooking ingredient. As Ashen has said, though, it is highly addictive. Should be available in Asian / Japanese stores.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

similarly...I purchased furikake recently (rice seasoning)...which is great sprinkled on plain rice or broiled fish. I think it will next be sprinkled on popcorn.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This evening we tried roasted butternut squash seed oil. Oh, my, just licking my fingers with this oil was heaven.

We oiled some slices of kabocha squash with it, baked it, and the results were devine.

Since it was a gift, I have to find out where to get it.

... Shel

attachicon.gifShichimi Togarishi.jpg

Sachimi Togarishi (Japanese: 七味唐辛子) or Nana-iro Tōgarashi (七色唐辛子) is Japanese 7 spice powder.

The actual ingredients differ from supplier to supplier, but the basics are red chili powder, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, dried tangerine peel and SIchuan peppercorns.The other two can be hemp seed, ground ginger, nori etc.etc.

The brand I'm using (pictured) is the five basics plus sweet basil and nori.

attachicon.gifShichimi Togarishi2.jpg

I find it works best as a condiment rather than a cooking ingredient. As Ashen has said, though, it is highly addictive. Should be available in Asian / Japanese stores.

I'm actually waiting for this to be delivered in a recent Amazon order!

Momofuku's Ma Peche location featured a cocktail called Seven Spice Sour with this spice blend. Its going to be a lot of fun trying to recreate it :)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I love long pepper. I have written about it here - and given my hint on how to use it in a pepper mill. I use a doggy toenail clipper (for kitchen use only) to nip it into small pieces that will fit nicely into the mill.

There are some other items that the clipper handles better than scissors or knives. (Such as the tiny, skinny dried chiles that tend to fly all over the place but clipping them with the toenail clipper over a cup, keeps them under control.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3