• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What New Ingredients Are You Trying Out?

Chris Amirault

Black garlic is made from regular garlic, with nothing added, no salt, no sugar, no nothing. It transforms into something that's magical. Completely unlike regular garlic.

It's is not cheap. I make my own black garlic because I use a lot of it.

dcarch

How is it made?

Thanks!

I would also like to know because it is very expensive and not always available where I shop.

Apparently garlic is placed in an incubator for a period of time - it ferments. Here is a link.

Oh yeah - and I use it for a black garlic risotto.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

When I was a resident working a long shift in the ER - I brought myself a huge container of jerusalem artichokes. Thought I was gonna die, wanted to die, spent a good part of the shift out on the ramp!

I'm sorry to see Jerusalem artichokes getting bad press. Although it is true that they are without doubt highly wind-inducing ... they are good.

The problem I think is that their flavour is delicate. Put in something like a daube they will be overwhelmed. But as a soup, or a puree, or in a gratin, they have a quite delicious taste. Nothing like artichokes!

Peeling can be a pain. I generally just cut off any annoying lumps. I don't know why they are so expensive -- they are reputedly very easy to grow.

My most recent experiment was with pearl barley. I thought of it as an ingredient of lacklustre chicken soups. But there was some hanging around (from a chicken soup my partner's mother made). This weekend I made a salad (I found the recipe in a NYT article online I think, googling for recipes). Pearl barley with peas, mushrooms, red onion and radicchio, in a walnut vinaigrette (made with sherry vinegar and shallots). It was outstandingly good -- just the right balance of chewy and yielding, sweet and bitter and earthy. I'll definitely make it again, and as a "salad grain" the barley was outstanding, because it keeps some texture and taste.

Another ingredient I want to try playing around with is chestnut flour -- before winter ends. It somehow feels like a winter ingredient. But I'm not sure what to use it for. It somehow just sounds interesting and unusual.

Finally, to finish my grainy plans, I want to learn how to make good polenta. Whenever I've tried to make it in the past, it's been a terrible disappointment. I suspect I don't cook it long enough, salt it well enough, or butter it assiduously enough. So that's a third project. First thing I need to do is score some decent polenta -- not instant!

I've been playing around with freekeh, which is grains of wheat roasted while still green. You have to boil or steam it like a grain and it's a little chewy, a little nutty. So far been serving it as a salad with preserved lemon, minced green onions, dried sour cherries and labneh yoghurt cheese.

I am experimenting with fennel pollen. I saw Emeril using it when he did his Emeril Green shows from the Napa Valley and while I was visiting in Napa found a small container of it.

I prepared sauteed fish fillets and then made what I call a Sicilian topping...scallions, garlic, some slices of blood orange, a little white wine and blood orange juice reduced, then raisins and pine nuts tossed in near the end, and a glug of cold butter. I sprinkled the topping and the sauteed fish lightly with the fennel pollen and was surprised at how the flavor popped out!

Any suggestions for other things to try?

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Interesting - I am playing around with freekeh too. I learned about it a couple of months ago and ordered some. I plan to stuff a roast chicken with it (cooked of course), some ground beef or lamb, pine nuts and a few spices - cinnamon, cumin maybe sprinkle sumac on at the end. There was an egullet thread that talked about it - I can't remember which one.

Interesting - I am playing around with freekeh too. I learned about it a couple of months ago and ordered some. I plan to stuff a roast chicken with it (cooked of course), some ground beef or lamb, pine nuts and a few spices - cinnamon, cumin maybe sprinkle sumac on at the end. There was an egullet thread that talked about it - I can't remember which one.

Here's one of the threads from when I was in my freekeh phase.

Black garlic is made from regular garlic, with nothing added, no salt, no sugar, no nothing. It transforms into something that's magical. Completely unlike regular garlic.

dcarch

How is it made?

Thanks!

dcarch

How is it made?

Thanks!

I would also like to know because it is very expensive and not always available where I shop.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread. I will have to do it another time in another thread.

dcarch

not a very exciting ingredient but brisket - which I had never cooked before.

I did a corned beef and cabbage which was good but a little too salty (I did not soak the brisket before cooking).

I have a regular uncorned brisket that I plan on using to make BBQ.

I have been a little obsessed with brisket ever since I saw show on "burnt ends" at some BBQ place.

Cherimoya:

Had one at my GF's house and the taste/texture was fascinating. Toots said that it was a somewhat over ripe fruit, and that one closer to ideal ripeness would be much nicer. Discovered that they're grown locally - in California - so getting them should not be too difficult.

Any preparation suggestions?

I had one for the first time last week. It was a little hard and green when I bought it at the farmers market. I let it ripen at room temperature for a few days until it was soft. It's pretty good as is, eaten with a spoon. Just make sure that you don't eat the seeds, which I was told were toxic if crushed.

New ingredients for me:

various spices including zahtar (plan to use on flatbreat), sumac (to be used for a bell pepper soup recipe) ras el hanout (use TBD, probably a braise, I picked it because I just liked the name), smoked paprika (plan to use in a goat cheese appetizer), pink salt (will obviously use to make some kind of charcuterie)

veggies including kale (made chips with it and used in a mussel, clam and white bean stew), kohlrabi (just liked the name and how strange it looks, I used it raw and shredded in a salad but I thought it was not that great, I much prefer celery root in that type of application)

squid that I used in a mediterranean shrimp and squid stew. I had never cooked squid before, I could not believe how easy it was. It had been cleaned already, just needed to be sliced and cooked.

citric acid to make ricotta

A few weeks ago I started buying a new random ingredient every week, based on what seemed fresh and intriguing, just to keep challenging myself in the kitchen. It's been quite fun.

I did a corned beef and cabbage which was good but a little too salty (I did not soak the brisket before cooking).

I have been a little obsessed with brisket ever since I saw show on "burnt ends" at some BBQ place.

Slow oven braised, uncorned brisket is the most amazing beef flavor. I have a recipe where the brisket is rubbed with ground espresso beans and ancho chili powder, then slow braised, covered in aluminum foil, with espresso as the liquid. It is simply amazing. Brisket's not just for BBQ or corned beef, although those are certainly wonderful applications.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I *just* (finally) found cocoa nibs at a farmers' market about a month ago. Unfortunately it was in the midst of the Christmas baking/sweet frenzy, so they got put away for a more determined use in the future. Since I'm now going through sweet baked goods withdrawal after the holidays, these are in the near future.

I have also been hit with a glut of guavas in my CSA shares for the past 3 times. The first round, I'm sorry to say, was enjoyed solely for the fragrance. Again, it was the height of the holiday frenzy, and using new things was not on the radar. The last batch got made into syrup, with the flesh sort of candied (not hard candied, but very sweet). The new batch, I'm open to suggestion. I'm thinking of infusing some vodka with them.

Also as a result of the CSA, have been learning to cook (and love), collards and chard. Never crossed my radar until now. Winter squash (other than butternut)...ehhhh, not lovin' so much. I think that, like eggplant, I just have to plant the flag and declare I don't like them.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Another ingredient I want to try playing around with is chestnut flour -- before winter ends. It somehow feels like a winter ingredient. But I'm not sure what to use it for. It somehow just sounds interesting and unusual.

In Corsica France, chestnut flour is a traditional ingredient used in crepes, cakes, tarts, beignets, and also souffles and flans. I don't have a specific recipe but would just try to replace some of the wheat flour in your normal recipes with chestnut flour, taking into account that chestnut flour does not contain gluten.

That just reminded me that I had bought buckwheat flour on a whim a few weeks ago (I've never used it before) and was going to use it for traditional Brittany-style galettes aka savory crepes.

I *just* (finally) found cocoa nibs at a farmers' market about a month ago. Unfortunately it was in the midst of the Christmas baking/sweet frenzy, so they got put away for a more determined use in the future. Since I'm now going through sweet baked goods withdrawal after the holidays, these are in the near future.

I have also been hit with a glut of guavas in my CSA shares for the past 3 times. The first round, I'm sorry to say, was enjoyed solely for the fragrance. Again, it was the height of the holiday frenzy, and using new things was not on the radar. The last batch got made into syrup, with the flesh sort of candied (not hard candied, but very sweet). The new batch, I'm open to suggestion. I'm thinking of infusing some vodka with them.

Also as a result of the CSA, have been learning to cook (and love), collards and chard. Never crossed my radar until now. Winter squash (other than butternut)...ehhhh, not lovin' so much. I think that, like eggplant, I just have to plant the flag and declare I don't like them.

Cocoa nibs - I discovered these recently and used them sprinkled on a chocolate cake. I loved their crunch. It was David Lebovitz's Racines cake recipe, and a big hit at our Christmas dinner.

Guava - I am a huge fan of the guava jelly that a colleague makes with fruit from her yard.

Winter squash is great (especially kabocha) so I would not give up! I love it roasted first in the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and then converted into soup or risotto.

Slow oven braised, uncorned brisket is the most amazing beef flavor. I have a recipe where the brisket is rubbed with ground espresso beans and ancho chili powder, then slow braised, covered in aluminum foil, with espresso as the liquid. It is simply amazing. Brisket's not just for BBQ or corned beef, although those are certainly wonderful applications.

Would very much like that recipe if possible.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Wow, lots of way cool stuff. Definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

Lately I've been rather modest with my adventures. Having enjoyed BeeHoon in singapore i went in search of glass noodles. I bought a few packages of rice noodles by accident until i found some mung bean ones. they cook up clear, but traditionally are served in a brown sauce.

Cherimoya:

Had one at my GF's house and the taste/texture was fascinating. Toots said that it was a somewhat over ripe fruit, and that one closer to ideal ripeness would be much nicer. Discovered that they're grown locally - in California - so getting them should not be too difficult.

Any preparation suggestions?

I had one for the first time last week. It was a little hard and green when I bought it at the farmers market. I let it ripen at room temperature for a few days until it was soft. It's pretty good as is, eaten with a spoon. Just make sure that you don't eat the seeds, which I was told were toxic if crushed.

Ew, ew, ew !!! *Raising hand* I'm in on the newbie to cherimoya club too. Got one in my CSA share a couple of weeks ago, and it finally got ripe enough to eat last weekend. I LOVED it, although it is certainly very different than anything I've had before. I wouldn't think cooking it would be a good thing...the flavor on mine was so delicate, I think it would be lost if it were mixed with anything else. Plus, you'd loose that sensuous texture. I think its a fruit best eaten as is.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Would very much like that recipe if possible.

Et voila ! le link. Sorry, it's not ancho chile powder, its chipotle. The little brain is old & tired, and I was going from memory. I make this at least once per winter, and always, always love it. It's about time for me to make it again.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Tamarind Paste - picked up a jar at the asian market several months ago.

Tahini and Quinoa - bought both last fall for a visiting family member but ended up not using them so they are still sitting in the pantry.

I've never made hummus so will use some of the tahini in that, and will cook some of the quinoa in my new rice cooker, but don't know how I will use the tamarind yet. Use suggestions for any of these ingredients are welcome!

So many ingredients, so little time.

A few weeks ago I went to my local Frootique with the idea of making an exotic fruit platter for a pot luck party. The friendly staff guy was cutting open everything for me to see and taste -- it was a lot of fun. I brought home one or two of almost everything I sampled and took them to the party. Some of that platter went untouched but it sure looked good.

I would like to go back and get more savvy with things like carambola, mangosteen, kumquat, pitaya, etc.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

. . . .

. . . .

Chestnut flour makes a great addtion to pasta doughs; I particularly like chestnut-flour pasta with game and winter squash. I usually make pappardelle or ravioli with it, the latter having been inspired by some chestnut pasta and venison ravioli I had in Bolzano.

I also like castagnaccio, but I think it is an acquired taste, so if you make it, try making half recipe first. To me, it tastes of November.

I also sometimes mix chestnut flour into soups and risotto; it adds a very subtle, earthy sweetness.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org