• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish scaler

mcohen

I would have never thought about buying one before, but Williams-Sonoma is having a close out sale on their fish scalers, Triangle fish scaler, from Germany.

Is there any advantage to using a fish scaler vs. using the back of a knife or spoon to scale a fish?

And, if I do get a fish scaler, what should I look for that makes one fish scaler better than the other. Any specific design features? What is considered the best fish scaler out there?

Does anybody own a Triangle fish scaler? There's no customer reviews on Amazon, or on WS website.

Best fish scaler?

Looks like a little box on a handle with a lid, bottom of the box is open and has a serrated blade.

You did notice the bold and italics on "with a lid"?

Funny thing about fish scales, you find them in the darndest places, and usually many days after you 've eaten the fish..........

You can use just about anything with an edge as a fish scaler, problem is containing the sales as Posted. Using a large zip lock bag helps.

Most who do large quantities of scaling have a dedicated place and tools because of the scales, they go everywhere and stick everywhere.-Dick

Best fish scaler?

Looks like a little box on a handle with a lid, bottom of the box is open and has a serrated blade.

You did notice the bold and italics on "with a lid"?

Oh... That's what that thing is for:

http://www.homevillage.us/trfisc.html

I didn't know what that boxy thing was for, but I guess it prevents those scales from flying everywhere.

I've never heard of Triangle before, but the design seems sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody try something like JB Prince fish scaler where the scalers are arranged in a circle?

http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/heavy-duty-french-fish-scaler.asp

There's a lot of these fish scalers like the JB Prince where the scales are arranged in a circle, and I want to know if they're any better than more tradtional fish scalers?

Anybody try something like JB Prince fish scaler where the scalers are arranged in a circle?

http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/heavy-duty-french-fish-scaler.asp

There's a lot of these fish scalers like the JB Prince where the scales are arranged in a circle, and I want to know if they're any better than more tradtional fish scalers?

Doesn't matter what you use, a knife, blades in a circle or whatever, the principle is the same. go against the grain of the scales until removed, in the process the scales go everywhere and containment is your biggest problem. As I said I use a knife and ziplock bag. Works great!-Dick