• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

22 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't bake russets, but once a year I stab the living daylights out of a bunch of yams. It's my way of coming to terms with the fact that only about three people out of a crowded tableful even eat them. One of those three is my husband, who would consider it a crime if they didn't make an appearance.

Do you get real yams in SF area? We used to see sweet potatoes wrongly labeled as yams, but I think now they are a little more careful/accurate about it. I think we used to get both at times, but now I mostly just see sweet potatoes. Which is fine with me, because I love them! But when I cook them after several stabs, the liquid from them tends to run all over and sometimes I just wrap them in foil, to keep things a bit tidier. Do yams behave the same way? 

FauxPas

FauxPas

22 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't bake russets, but once a year I stab the living daylights out of a bunch of yams. It's my way of coming to terms with the fact that only about three people out of a crowded tableful even eat them. One of those three is my husband, who would consider it a crime if they didn't make an appearance.

Do you get real yams in SF area? We used to see sweet potatoes wrongly labeled as yams, but I think now they are a little more careful/accurate about it. I think we used to get both at times, but now I mostly just see sweet potatoes. Which is fine with me, because I love them! But when I cook them after several stabs, the liquid from them tends to run all over and sometimes I just wrap them in foil, to keep things a bit tidier. Are yams the same?