• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona's Best - '"Cooking" From a Can

weinoo

Quimet et Quimet is a "tapas" bar in Barcelona that Significant Eater and I absolutely adored. You could walk right by and not even know it's there - it's a bit off the beaten path but well worth the cab or subway ride...

Quimet et Quimet.JPG

But once you step inside...

Inside Quimet et Quimet.JPG

A whole Spanish world of goodies awaits. There are montaditos, there are pintxos (pinchos), there are banderillas; all of which qualify as tapas, by the way. As Penelope Casas defines in her book Tapas - The Little Dishes of Spain:

tapas are not necessarily a particular kind of food; rather, they represent a style of eating and a way of life that are so very Spanish...

So what makes Quimet et Quimet stand out? For one, most of the ingredients come out of cans. Yes, cans (don't forget that reference in the title). For two, the proprietor (pictured above in the orange shirt) is a genius at putting together these things. Ask for some tuna and get this...

Quimet Tuna with Pepper.JPG

A beautiful hunk of tuna, topped with pimento and served with olives and a spicy chili pepper...all from cans and all of which is for sale and some of which is insanely expensive.

Want some artichokes or something with anchovies? Check it out...

Quimet Artichokes, Anchovie, Olive & Onion.JPG

Artichoke hearts drizzled with olive oil and sherry vinegar along with an anchovy, sweet roasted onion and olive banderilla. And if you want to impress your friends, those are some easy tapas to put together.

Ask for montaditos (mounted bread) and you're liable to end up with these...

Quimet Shrimp.JPG

Or these, consisting of herring and a host of other ingredients...

Quimet 4.JPG

And don't worry...if you think it's all about canned food, there are some other worthy bites as well. When Significant Eater and I were just about full, we asked for an assortment of cheeses - and this magically appeared. We were barely able to finish it...

Quimet Cheese Platter.JPG

That's five or six cheeses from Spain, any of which can hold their own against those of France. Served with a couple of sweet accompaniments (from cans, no doubt), they're the perfect way to end a delicious meal. Next time you're in Barcelona, go...you won't be disappointed.

Quimet et Quimet

c/Poeta Cabanyes, 25

Open 1 PM - 4 PM and 8 PM to 12 Midnight

93 442 31 42

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Great report, Mitch. I love it there; it's one of the great places in a great city.

Did you try the housemade vermouth there? It went great with the food, and the freshly made vermouth around Barcelona is really something....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Great report, Mitch. I love it there; it's one of the great places in a great city.

Did you try the housemade vermouth there? It went great with the food, and the freshly made vermouth around Barcelona is really something....

I didn't - but my wife did and liked it a lot. It was lunch time and I usually don't drink before 5... :wink: .

oh my - what is that orange 'bleu' cheese?

I think (but don't know for sure) it's a well-aged Cabrales. Take a look at the first cheese on this page.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I think that they make that vermouth on tap, don't they?

I'm pretty sure they did.

Could have sworn that what I had was Yzaguirre but that doesn't mean there weren't others. I'd happily go back to research and confirm.

Wait, did you not order the montadito of smoked salmon, yogurt cheese, and truffle honey on toast?!

That was my favorite thing there too (after the salmon at Inopia I ordered it everywhere)! Looks like we all have to go back now.

Wait, did you not order the montadito of smoked salmon, yogurt cheese, and truffle honey on toast?!

I don't think so or I probably would've had a picture of it.

That was my favorite thing there too (after the salmon at Inopia I ordered it everywhere)! Looks like we all have to go back now.

I'm in.

After all, how much better can the smoked salmon be than R & D?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

After all, how much better can the smoked salmon be than R & D?

I don't even know how to answer that! You know that I'm a R&D devotee, but the smoked salmon in Barcelona was ridiculous. I would never have thought to order it but kathryn and/or spaetzle_maker told me to and it was so amazing that I then had it at Paco Meralgo and QyQ also.

Nice pics. The shrimp and caviar looks so fregin good. All that (besides the bread) from cans? Hard to believe. An Albarino would’ve gone nice with that stuff. Or a Sierra Nevada?

Seriously, I think he made have had Sierra Nevada.

Is there a menu or do you just tell them what you're in the mood for and they make something up (or open a can up)? About how much would dishes like the ones you had cost?

Sounds like an interesting place, and my mother would love the vermouth!

I did a lot of pointing. And bad Catalan. We spent a total of 35 euros and ate a lot.

Doh - now I see the Sierra Nevada on the counter.

Edited: to add above sentence.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip - I look forward to checking out the restaurant some day. This made me think of the popular "Falsarius Chef" who has built an empire on recipes using common canned foods in Spain. He calls it "Cocina para impostores." I love the tongue-in-cheek attitude, but the main draw is really the food. Here is a link to his blog:http://www.falsariuschef.com/.

Edited by Ansley (log)

• 8 months later...

We started our recent trip to Spain with a "dinner" at Quimet y Quimet, which had been reco'd by a number of friends who had been to BCN. What a fun and fabulous place! A definite "must visit" for anyone who is serious about food and visiting Barcelona. The fact that virtually all of the ingredients come from a can is the "hook", but the flavours are the reason to go. The huge advantage of the canned food approach is that virtually every ingredient you eat is for sale. We left with at least 25 euros worth of ingredients to play at recreating some of the masterpieces at home. And if you need a bottle of wine.....

%7Boption%7D

Day 1 Quimet y Quimet 09small.jpg