• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ziploc Brand Vacuum Freezer System

Fat Guy

Does it work for the intended purpose?

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/VacuumFreezerSystem.aspx

And is it useful for sous-vide cooking?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have the Reynolds system which is similar and it works fine. My only concern is how tough the bags are and if they'll withstand a little battering in the freezer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/_/N-67lZ2pqf/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4434545?Ntt=vac+n+store

I have one of these systems except I'm in Canada and it's called Vac N Store. (I don't know if the link above will work or not.) I'm quite taken with it. I bought a box of frozen croissants at Costco and packaged them in these bags. The bag in the upstairs freezer gets batted about and I've removed croissants from that bag and re-sealed it a number of times. That little pump manages to pump all the air out giving you a very tight seal Also, the bags are re-usable. Hope this helps.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/_/N-67lZ2pqf/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4434545?Ntt=vac+n+store

I have one of these systems except I'm in Canada and it's called Vac N Store. (I don't know if the link above will work or not.) I'm quite taken with it. I bought a box of frozen croissants at Costco and packaged them in these bags. The bag in the upstairs freezer gets batted about and I've removed croissants from that bag and re-sealed it a number of times. That little pump manages to pump all the air out giving you a very tight seal Also, the bags are re-usable. Hope this helps.

I just might get one on your say so, Elsie.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had one (I think it was the Reynolds brand) and then they discontinued it... I couldn't get the bags anymore, so I eventually pitched it.

I liked mine, though the bags didn't always "hold" in the freezer.

Still, I'm in the midst of a big freezer/pantry cleanout/cook down project. The items we have uncovered that were sealed with the little vacuum thingie have certainly held up better than items in regular freezer zip bags.

I think I'm going to get a FoodSaver, now that I've figured out where I can put it. But, I'd be willing to try this new version of the hand-held type.

As the guy who uses a Presto Kitchen Kettle as his immersion (non)circulator, these looked very attractive to me, even though I already had a Foodsaver. I actually had one in my hand in the grocery store when I thought to look at the refill bags. I saw the price, did some mental calculations, shreiked a little, and quickly put back the $3 hand pump. They kill you on the price of the bags.

The Foodsaver is the same way. But I'm now buying compatible Seal-A-Meal backs for half the price.

I think it would work well for low temp applications - especially if you unexpectedly needed to do sous vide on the road without all of your stuff.

But a reusable air check valve that could be used with any ziplock bag would be a much better product.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

I just might get one on your say so, Elsie.

Looks like those bags would work with the Reynolds sealer.

I havent tried themmin the freezer but for sous videmthey do the job. I have been using them for anyear, i buy and stock them whenni can find a special.

I wouldn't use vacuum bags other for sous vide so an electric pump didnt make sense to me.

I use the Ziploc bags for sous vide and they work great...although, if I'm going to be doing something that takes a long time (like 48-hour short ribs), I'll put a piece of tape over the gasket to make sure they don't leak.

I find them handier than foodsaver bags for keeping things in the freezer you'd like to reseal quickly and often. For instance, I keep cubes of veal demi in them so I don't have to bring out the foodsaver to reseal it every time I need to grab one.

This photo on the Blog Sous Vide blog shows that the Ziploc vacuum bags actually say "sous vide" on the bags, for what it's worth: http://blogsousvide.com/2010/04/eggs-sousvide-supreme-style/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This photo on the Blog Sous Vide blog shows that the Ziploc vacuum bags actually say "sous vide" on the bags, for what it's worth: http://blogsousvide.com/2010/04/eggs-sousvide-supreme-style/

Yeah, I always thought it was weird they put that on the bag. I imagine an overwhelming majority of people using them will have no idea what that means, at least in the culinary sense.

I also have a Foodsaver but I found the bags often lost their seal in the freezer. So far, I prefer these vacuum bags. Plus the ones I have state they are re-usable which is a good thing as they are not inexpensive. To you Canadians - where do you buy the Reynolds bags? I checked Canadian Tire & Home Hardware & neither listed them on their web sites. I see the Home Shopping Channel has Debbie Meyer bags that the Reynolds system uses and they are about 1/3 the cost of the bags I have. Course, they don't ship to Canada but there are ways around that...............

(Corrected for spelling)

Edited by ElsieD (log)

I also have a Foodsaver but I found the bags often lost their seal in the freezer. So far, I prefer these vacuum bags. Plus the ones I have state they are re-usable which is a good thing as they are not inexpensive. To you Canadians - where do you buy the Reynolds bags? I checked Canadian Tire & Home Hardware & neither listed them on their web sites. I see the Home Shopping Channel has Debbie Meyer bags that the Reynolds system uses and they are about 1/3 the cost of the bags I have. Course, they don't ship to Canada but there are ways around that...............

(Corrected for spelling)

Back when they were still making the Reynolds system - I'd go down to Buffalo and bring them back. But check out those bags linked to above at Home Hardware and see if they would work with the Reynolds sealer - would save a lot of aggravation getting them from the US.