• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bron Mandoline

Mottmott

I have a Bron mandoline that I hardly every use as it seems too cumbersome, complex for everyday use. Instead I've made do, day to day, with a cheapy plastic one that I just gave away to someone.

Two questions:

First, the use of the Bron. What's it best for? Why should I keep it? I there some trick to using it easily?

Second, I need a recommendation for a mandoline I can grab quickly, no need to fiddle with it to set it up before using. I mostly just use it for slicing, maybe some julienning.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I have the Bron and the Benrenier. The Benrenier is used way more often than the Bron. The good things about the Bron are it's very stable which aids in getting good slices, it's wider than the standard Benrenier and it can do waffle cuts. The julienne device was getting in my way of making clean slices so it was removed. I have also removed and sharpened the blade which helped but all in all the inexpensive Benrenier can do just about all but the waffle cuts, has a better blade and is easy to use and clean.

I had a Bron that I used for many years, replacing the blades at least once, possibly twice.

The thing is that you have to use it fairly regularly and I did, when I was catering.

For just a small amount it was not all that handy but when I was slicing twenty pounds of potatoes, especially waffle cuts, carrots = ten pounds julienne cuts, twenty pounds of onions (all with the Bron setting in a bus tub), it was a godsend.

Once you learn how to swing the blades into position and get used to using it, it is no more difficult to use than the others but if you have only small amounts to slice or julienne, it is really not worth it.

I gave my Bron away, still in excellent condition, when I got the de Buyer V-Pro - expensive but very easy to use and I have all the optional blades.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the recommendations. Mostly I'm cooking for one these days - or very small dinner parties, so the Benrenier or Oxo will go on my list. I often use the slicing disk on my Cuisinart, but there's not enough control.

I'll get something that's more user friendly and tuck the Bron away in case.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts