• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive roasting pan needed

Shel_B

Hi,

I need to get another roasting pan, preferably one that's not too expensive, for use when cooking at my GF's house. We don't use her oven too often as it's small, but I do want something better than the thin, cheap pan she has. Any thoughts? Oh, I'd prefer stainless interior, maybe, just maybe, non-stick. That'll be easier for Toots to clean ...

Thanks!

... Shel

Hit the thrift stores and/or garage sales. Seriously. I see quality kitchen items there all the time.

We've done that and, thus far, haven't found anything worth buying. We'll probably keep poking around the sales until such time as we next need to use a pan, and if we've not found one by then, will buy a new one. Thanks!

... Shel

I don't think there are many multi-ply ones for that price, and there may be one or two stainless-only ones (I think there was an article a while back that suggested one, maybe the Cuisinart stainless-only model), but I'm not sure if they'd work as well as aluminium or aluminium / stainless steel (maybe folks with stainless-only roasting pans can comment; I haven't found them to be that great).

I have a very thin Vollrath stainless roasting pan which was not expensive, but it's definitely not heavy duty.

A little over your budget, but the Cuisinart MCP117-16BR is around 90 on Amazon, and it's stainless with aluminum core.

And don't forget to check at Tuesday Morning

They have high end cookware marked down to extremely low prices.

Also check at Big Lots.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If storage space is tight, and the oven is small-ish, then could a large gratin or casserole be multi-purposed? Or do you need a specific shape to the roaster?

Our oven is standard-sized, but I often want to use more than one rack, so don't bother to pull out the roaster (large handles).

This pan fits in my toaster oven, with 1/2 a chicken :)

Karen Dar Woon

Check these bargain on Overstock.com

standard shipping is inexpensive.

If you sign up for their emails, they notify of daily specials, some extremely inexpensive and sometimes with shipping costs as low as $1.00.

Last summer I got a baker's rack for my garden for 29.00 and 1.00 shipping - at Lowe's it was 149.00

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'd recommend a restaurant supply store. If you don't have one local check out places like bigtray.com. You should find plenty of plain aluminum pans, with a light (but unpolished) finish.

I can't suggest a particular brand, but look for one with low sides. Most of the commercial pans are only medium weight, but they're heavy enough to go from oven to stovetop for deglazing.

These pans aren't as nice or as easy to clean as expensive clad pans, but they will roast your food 100% as well. I cook with both and can promise that. Should be easy to get one for $50 or less.

Notes from the underbelly