• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Escoffier's Scrambled Eggs

jfrater

Hi - I am trying to perfect Escoffier's scrambled eggs but I just can't find any information to tell me the exact consistency of the final product.

When I originally tried the recipe using the bain marie method (40 mins of cooking whilst stirring) I ended up with a very delicious result - but it was really more of a sauce - there were no curds at all - just a rich lemon colored custard. It was fully cooked and very nice but I was not sure if there should be curds.

When I use the faster (approved by Escoffier) method of cooking on a direct heat, I did get curds as well as sauce.

Traditionally the eggs were served in a silver bowl with choux pastry garnishes around the edges which suggests to me that it ought to be eaten with a spoon and seems to support the custardy consistency.

Does anyone here know what the final result should be?

Thanks

Well, thinking back to cooking school, and digging out a few notes, made on the recipe itself - here is what I wrote - I'm thinking they really tried to drill this into us. I'm guessing there was angry french shouting involved somewhere along the way :smile:

Don't beat the eggs too much - a moderately beaten egg still has definition between white and yolk. Add the salt and pepper before you beat them to avoid overbeating. Beating is done with a wooden spoon. Not a whisk. Not a fork. NOT an egg beater. A wooden spoon and only a wooden spoon.

We are not looking for lumps. This is not Denny's. This is to be a smooth homogenous mass. Smooth and creamy. Lumps are to be, above all things, guarded against.

Do not use too high a heat. Stir with a wooden spoon. Not a whisk. Not a fork. NOT an egg beater. A wooden spoon and only a wooden spoon.

There endeth the lesson :laugh:

My recollection is that this was a fluffy homogenous mass with no real lumps...firm enough to be spooned, not runny like a hollandaise.

I guess the only why to know for sure is to find someone that trained under him, but I guess that probably isn't a possibility anymore. Pity.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten