• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Use of Stale Bread

nakji

35 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Feed it to the ducks. When they are nice and fat, roast them!

Round here moms & kids feed the bread to them and unfortunate unhoused population culls them. Fireside in back of park. Strange world. 

• 5 months later...

Today's frittata was a way to use up some month-old bread (definitely time) along with eggs, milk, cooked broccoli and shredded cheddar. A bit bland, but a touch of salt and salsa fixed that. The surprising thing was that I used an oven preset for the first time: "Casserole". I have never before now bothered with presets, but I was curious to see what it did. What it did was, it set the oven to 375F and held it there, very occasionally firing up the convection fan to stir the air until I pulled the casserole dish. Easy. Nicely done. Whaddaya know.

20210519_220856.jpg

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I've started to eat far too much grenki.

They're fried bread soldiers, normally black bread, salted and served with garlic mayonnaise for dipping.

Great beer food.

That sounds dangerously delicious. Care to inspire us more with a few photos?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Other the the obvious French toast and bread puddings, my favorite usage would be fatteh. There are many types of fatteh, whole based on crisp pita breads in some hearty and flavorful sauce, often with chickpeas. My favorite being yogurt based with tender chickpeas, topped with nuts and some tomatoes and herbs. A good preparation should have some bread soaking the sauce and some staying crips.

There are versions with tahini, ground meat, fried eggplants. If you never had any type of fatteh dish, you should give it a try.

I'll also mention fatout salad which is a chopped vegetable salad with toasted/fried pita or bread in a tart and garlicky yogurt sauce, and panzanella which is also a favorite of mine.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.