• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad Condiments You Love

the Caesar dressing that comes in the Dole salad package...best dressing ever. I wish they would just bottle it.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Miracle Whip. :blush:

Me too.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, if Heinz Ketchup doesn't count, I'll say French's Mustard. I neeeeeed that for my Nathan's hot dogs. Although I am learning to use fancy German mustard now.

I don't think Heinz Ketchup counts, because I married a Picksburgher, and now I'm not allowed to use any other sort of ketchup. Since I don't use ketchup often, I'm OK with that.

But French's Mustard is at the top of my list of trashy condiments. I know good mustard. I own good mustard. I know how to make good homemade mustard. And yet, there is something about that bright yellow stuff that makes my mouth sing. I even put it on scrambled eggs.

Oh, the shame.

Paul Newman's Own Balsamic Salad Dressing :smile:

Edited by Taubear (log)

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Well, if Heinz Ketchup doesn't count, I'll say French's Mustard. I neeeeeed that for my Nathan's hot dogs. Although I am learning to use fancy German mustard now.

Hell yes for the French's love. A hot dog is not a hot dog without it, although it may have other applications.

Heinz Ketchup. No homemade, no "gourmet" for me.

Geez, I consider Heinz to be the "good" stuff and the "gourmet," organic dreck to be bad.

I actually prefer the flavor of the Heinz organic ketchup over their standard... It just tastes more tomatoey.

My weakness is celery seed salt. My blood pressure has a different opinion.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

In-N-Out Burger spread packets. It's thousand island dressing.

The odd clear and pink Sweet-n-sour sauce at chinese take out houses mixed with the chinese hot mustard packets. The best on a greasy egg roll.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

I like Aussie-style tomato sauce, but only in a sausage sizzle situation: overcooked snag laid diagonally on a bit of doughy white bread and topped with grilled onions. Otherwise it's Heinz ketchup all the way.

Have to be dodgy supermarket mystery bags, too. With a list of ingredients that says something like, 'Meat (45%) ...' And a white supermarket loaf. A $20/kilo organic Daylesford bull-boar sausage in a $6 sourdough just isn't right.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I like Aussie-style tomato sauce, but only in a sausage sizzle situation: overcooked snag laid diagonally on a bit of doughy white bread and topped with grilled onions. Otherwise it's Heinz ketchup all the way.

Have to be dodgy supermarket mystery bags, too. With a list of ingredients that says something like, 'Meat (45%) ...' And a white supermarket loaf. A $20/kilo organic Daylesford bull-boar sausage in a $6 sourdough just isn't right.

Oh, yes, absolutely! TipTop, or even better, generic bread. Somehow it complements the dodgy sausage and sauce perfectly. But I really can't stand it otherwise.