• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Terry Cloth / Dough

KingLear

I've been looking for the answer as to why most dough (bread, pizza, etc.) recipes say to cover the bowl in a non-terry cloth towel while rising. I can see why you would want to use cotton as opposed to terry cloth if the dough is to sit on the towel, but if the dough is just being covered, what's the diff?

I'd guess it would be either to avoid having any stray fuzzies fall into the dough, or, if you used a bowl that didn't contain the rise, having the dough come up high enough to hit the underside of the towel, thereby acquiring said fuzzies.

But its just a guess.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Cloth or plastic film always seem fussy to me. I just pop a pot lid on top of the bowl. Best is a glass pot lid so you can see what's happening. I give the underside of the lid a spritz with water from a mister to keep the air in the bowl from drying the dough