• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: nickrey (2011) - Classical/Modernist: It's all Jazz i

nickrey

Thank you, this has been very inspiring. Not only have you introduced me to some great local suppliers but you have also made me value the variety and quality of the food that I have at my front door. I have really enjoyed reading through your foodblog and I appreciate the effort you went to!

Thanks Chris. It's also been a chance for me to review the local food supply rather than take it for granted.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Excellent blog, thank you!

Thanks Shalmanese. And thanks for giving a broader perspective from a different part of Sydney as someone visiting from overseas (albeit originally a native).

My eG Foodblog

Great job Nick.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the seafood from half a world away. It seems your monkfish (formerly sold as stargazer) is very different from the Atlantic kind I can buy -- different species, family and order.

I love big shells on a pizza. Anybody who looks down their nose at cheese and seafood together, such as Ted Allen from Chopped, hasn't tried a pizza like that one.

Thanks Peter.

The topic of what seafood is called is a thesis all of its own. Seems things are known by different names all over the world. Even in our region there are multiple names for the same fish.

Not liking seafood on a pizza? Maybe it's an extension of the much-reported Italian "proscription" of combining cheese and fish in the one dish.

My eG Foodblog

It was a great ride Nick- thank you for all your efforts. It was 78 degrees F (25.5ish in C?) in Los Angeles today so the warm weather food is immediately inspirational. The fried fish skin from early on has stuck in my mind so I will be trying that soon.

It was a great ride Nick- thank you for all your efforts. It was 78 degrees F (25.5ish in C?) in Los Angeles today so the warm weather food is immediately inspirational. The fried fish skin from early on has stuck in my mind so I will be trying that soon.

Thanks Heidi glad you liked it.

My eG Foodblog

Very enjoyable, Nick, with beautiful cooking and gorgeous markets, especially those stunning fish. I particularly welcomed the vicarious taste of summer after spending the weekend outdoors at elder son’s lacrosse camp, bundled up against the cold, damp breezes blowing off the Chesapeake Bay.

Thank you also for suggesting a new Thai cookbook for my collection. Enjoy your well-earned Scotch!

Sorry there weren't more dishes that would fit the current food availability in the Northern hemisphere but perhaps you can save the dishes up for your own summer.

That's one of the things I enjoyed the most this week - we're in the middle of a cold, snowy winter here. -20C and colder this weekend; pot roasts and soups on the menu. Thanks for transporting us all to sunny Oz for the week and sharing the markets and your fabulous cooking!