• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: nickrey (2011) - Classical/Modernist: It's all Jazz i

nickrey

Oh my, I could possibly be drawn away from my Mtn. Dew in the morning if I had Miss Silvia. That cappuccino looks soooo yummy. I also love that polka dot cup!

It was a gift with purchase with the machine. You can see the others on top of Miss Silvia. The cups/saucers are mix and match.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hi Nick,

Can't wait to follow along with you! I also am proficient at the "blob" option for decorating the tops of espressos, much to the chagrin of my husband. We usually just cheat and have regular coffee. Can I ask why you freeze your olive oil?

Looking forward to seeing what else you have to share this week from somewhere warm and sunny, that last bit being said with a not-incosiderable amount of envy...

Nice to see there's another "blob" expert out there.

I freeze the olive oil because I use a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer rather than a chamber one. The sealer basically sucks the air out and then seals the package. If the oil is liquid, it gets sucked up into the machine and causes all manner of havoc with the sealing process. You can seal liquids in others ways but the freezing makes it easier.

My eG Foodblog

On Wednesday, my wife and I are going out to dinner and I've already got permission to take the camera so you'll be able to share our meal at Bentley Restaurant and Bar.

Very interested to read about and look at this meal, Nick. Have you been since the remodel? or at all?

Hi Chris. No, I haven't eaten there yet. I've seen Brent Savage cook at a few foodie type events and know his cooking relatively well, including having bought his recent cookbook.

The restaurant is not that far away but we tend to have this block about crossing the bridge to eat out (apart from trips into the city because we can get there by ferry).

I'm very keen to try it out and suspect that I will have the degustation package, including drinks. The co-owner, Nick Hildebrandt, is the sommelier so I'm expecting great combinations of wine and food.

My eG Foodblog

Looking forward to a week of wonderful food and sights. That tuna looks great. I may become a sous vider yet.

Can you tell us a bit about your shopping routine? My sister lives in Sydney (Castle Cove) and it sounds like there is much more specialty shopping versus the big supermarket. For instance going to the greengrocer for produce, the butcher for meats, the bakery for bread.

I will chime in (beg actually) for another visit to get photos at the seafood market :biggrin:

I'll collect some pictures and run you through the routine. The quick answer is yes I tend to shop at specialty shops. The long answer will have to wait until tonight after work.

My eG Foodblog

I'll do weekday breakfasts in one post as they are always the same.

Like many Australians, I'm a vegemite addict. For those of you who haven't tried it, it is basically a salty umami flavoured paste. We grow up on it -- I remember spreading it on a teething rusk for my daughter to suck/chew on.

It may not surprise people that is a by-product of the brewing process, which means we can have our beers in many more forms.

My suspicion is that exposure to food items such as this tend to hard wire some preferences into people. As a general observation, Australians' savoury inclinations may stem from being raised on this stuff.

vegemite.jpg

If you are tempted to try vegemite. Remember, it is not jam/jelly. Do not spread it thickly no matter what the Australian with the wry smile is trying to get you to do to see your reaction.

My eG Foodblog

The Vegemite/savoury thing is an interesting point I've never thought about.

As for tasting Vegemite, I'd recommend--for the first time, at least--cutting it with butter.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Like many Australians, I'm a vegemite addict. For those of you who haven't tried it, it is basically a salty umami flavoured paste. We grow up on it -- I remember spreading it on a teething rusk for my daughter to suck/chew on.

It may not surprise people that is a by-product of the brewing process, which means we can have our beers in many more forms.

My suspicion is that exposure to food items such as this tend to hard wire some preferences into people. As a general observation, Australians' savoury inclinations may stem from being raised on this stuff.

vegemite.jpg

If you are tempted to try vegemite. Remember, it is not jam/jelly. Do not spread it thickly no matter what the Australian with the wry smile is trying to get you to do to see your reaction.

I've always wondered what that stuff was. I was first introduced to the word by the group Men At Work. :biggrin:

Do you also add it as an ingredient in any cooking?

We have an Australian emigre' as a receptionist at my office. Her mother sent her a care package with Vegemite and she insisted we all try it.

I could get used to it!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

vegemite.jpg

I've always wondered what that stuff was. I was first introduced to the word by the group Men At Work. :biggrin:

Do you also add it as an ingredient in any cooking?

You can if you like. My dad used to put a spoonful in spaghetti bolognese. I think some people rub it over roast chicken, which to me sounds a bit ... much.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Personally, I've always thought that Vegemite/Marmite/Promite are quite similar, and that someone who has tried Marmite shouldn't be too surprised when they try Vegemite. But when I lived in London I was always surprised/amused by the way people would strongly prefer one over the other, and I worked with a few people who had Marmite on toast every day but were completely repulsed by Vegemite... Each to their own I guess!

First some things about myself.

I first developed an interest in cooking when I read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at school and saw the recipe for Monsieur Bon Bon's secret fooj. It is telling that I wrote out the recipe without remembering which book it came from. This information came to me from the Internet when I looked up the recipe. In my later years I did read many more books by Ian Fleming but did not remember that I owed him the origins of a lifelong obsession.

The interest continued through my teens with the mandatory cooking of cakes and sweets. A friend's mother did some catering and I enjoyed discussing cooking with her. She recommended that I buy the "Cordon Bleu Cookery Course" as it gave detail as to why you did things rather than just giving instructions. She felt this would reflect a more male style of cooking. Judging from my continued interests in such matters, she read me well.

cordon bleu.jpg

I worked my way through the eighteen books in the series (and two supplements) and just really continued cooking (and collecting cook books).

Nick, I'm so excited to see you doing a foodblog! Can't wait to see what you're cooking. What's your take on the quality & availability of australian produce & food shopping in your area of Sydney? I meant to talk about my impressions from Western Sydney during my blog, but didn't get around to it in the end, and I'm keen to hear yours. Do you do most of your shopping at speciality stores, or do you use Woolworths/Coles?

Seeing that Cordon Bleu book cover made me gasp a bit - we had that book when I was growing up and the cover dessert of brandy snaps and caramel oranges is something my mother made for dinner parties - all the way on the other side of the world!

Do you also add it [vegemite] as an ingredient in any cooking?

I don't personally. If you overreduce something like a beef jus, it can taste a bit like vegemite so people tend to use the taste as a referrent for a fault in a sauce.

That having been said, when Alvin Leung was out here from Hong Kong (he is a two Michelin-starred chef and is a self-proclaimed "enfant terrible" of the food scene), he used it successfully with Wagyu and rice noodles in the place of soy sauce.

My eG Foodblog

Personally, I've always thought that Vegemite/Marmite/Promite are quite similar, and that someone who has tried Marmite shouldn't be too surprised when they try Vegemite. But when I lived in London I was always surprised/amused by the way people would strongly prefer one over the other, and I worked with a few people who had Marmite on toast every day but were completely repulsed by Vegemite... Each to their own I guess!

My wife was brought up on marmite and she does not like vegemite (and vice versa). They are kept on separate shelves.

My eG Foodblog

Nick, I'm so excited to see you doing a foodblog! Can't wait to see what you're cooking. What's your take on the quality & availability of australian produce & food shopping in your area of Sydney? I meant to talk about my impressions from Western Sydney during my blog, but didn't get around to it in the end, and I'm keen to hear yours. Do you do most of your shopping at speciality stores, or do you use Woolworths/Coles?

Thanks Snadra i hope I can do as well as you did in your blog.

The food in my area of Sydney is very good. I remember one of those TV exposes that said that our area received (shock horror) the best meat when compared to other areas of Sydney. What they failed to say in their inimitable style is that it is also 2-3 times as expensive.

I'll be running through some of my normal shops and shopping patterns in a later post.

Seeing that Cordon Bleu book cover made me gasp a bit - we had that book when I was growing up and the cover dessert of brandy snaps and caramel oranges is something my mother made for dinner parties - all the way on the other side of the world!

The series was created in the UK so I suppose it's not surprising with Australia and Canada both being former colonies.

Though I guess that dates me with your mother using it to cook from.

My eG Foodblog

There was a bit of tuna left over from last night's dinner.

Just had it for lunch as a toasted sandwich with mayonnaise and rocket. No picture as it disappeared quickly.

My eG Foodblog

Nick, I'm not only excited to see you blogging -- squee! Nick! -- but I'm loving the summer view from Sydney as I freeze every body part in Ottawa. My daughter and her husband spent a week in Sydney last winter and were bewitched, seduced and wowed by the fish and the peeps. They thought it was the most laid-back ville on earth.

(Big ups to Pam for arranging the recent mind-boggling blogs.)I appreciate your link to my old piece on soft boiled eggs; any egg-loving cook knows eggs ain't easy.

Aussie cooking, about which I don't know enough, seems heavily weighed to seafood protein and umami. Will you have time to write about the sweet side?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Could you provide some samples of prices of items you're buying on your trips and restaurant bills? I'm curious how it compares to US prices, I think pretty close now that the two dollars are close to parity. I'm also curious about wine pricing.

I'm considering a trip at some point and would like to work out how much it'll cost.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

Could you provide some samples of prices of items you're buying on your trips and restaurant bills? I'm curious how it compares to US prices, I think pretty close now that the two dollars are close to parity. I'm also curious about wine pricing.

I'm considering a trip at some point and would like to work out how much it'll cost.

As a general overview, I've been pricing up some degustation meals in Sydney and the most expensive would be $210 per head at Quay (Tetsuya's is the same price). That's not including matching wines. Maybe there are other, more expensive places. In Melbourne, the most expensive is Vue de Monde at $250 per head. I haven't heard of anything else in Australia that expensive. At the other end of the spectrum, you can get a few (either degustation or three course affairs) for around $100. Most degustations in Sydney and Melbourne sit somewhere between the two price points. For example, Aria is $160. Becasse: $130. Guillaume at Bennelong is $180. Those places that charge more than $200 per person for food alone are pretty rare. We're talking well-regarded restaurants here, of course. Places that win local awards such as hats in the Good Food Guide and earn respectable places in the Gourmet Traveller Top 100. If you're talking about regular, 'okay' places I've got no idea what Sydney's prices are like. Down here you'd pay anything from $15-40 per main.

Matching wines is variable. For the premium wine matches at Quay, I think it's an extra $190 per head. When I want to Melbourne restaurant La Luna--a meat-centred bistro place--the degustation with matching wines set me back $120, I think it was. The food alone (six courses) would've been $85. That's the cheapest matching wines deal I can recall seeing. Wine matching is usually charged for the whole degustation (altho' Vue de Monde charge anywhere between $10 and $25 per course) but can range from, yeah, that up to the $190. Usually it seems to be about $100 extra, give or take. Individual bottles can range from, say, $50 to however much you want to pay. An individual glass can range from $8 to, yeah, $25 or so, depending on what you want and where you are.

When I went to The Press Club, again in Melbourne, it was $295 for the special eight course New Year's Eve degustation--and that includes matching wines. Just for reference. If you're planning on coming to Melbourne as part of your trip I can point you in the direction of a few nice places.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

The food in my area of Sydney is very good. I remember one of those TV exposes that said that our area received (shock horror) the best meat when compared to other areas of Sydney. What they failed to say in their inimitable style is that it is also 2-3 times as expensive.

I'll be running through some of my normal shops and shopping patterns in a later post.

I guess that goes alongside the shows that regularly point out that shoppers in the eastern suburbs pay more for all their groceries! :laugh:

The series was created in the UK so I suppose it's not surprising with Australia and Canada both being former colonies.

Though I guess that dates me with your mother using it to cook from.

Maybe... although looking at yours again, my mother's book was a hardcover (still cordon bleu cookery course, and the exact picture, I'm certain) - I think published in the late 60s/early 70s, rather than the newsagent series publication you've got.

Which brings me to another question: given the influence it had on you, do you still cook from it at all, or any of your 'early cookbooks', or have your interests and tastes changed?

Aussie cooking, about which I don't know enough, seems heavily weighed to seafood protein and umami. Will you have time to write about the sweet side?

Hi Maggie, thanks for your support.

Although I'm fairly good at making sweets, I'm more a matured cheese sort of person. Most of my dessert repertoire would not differ significantly from that seen in any of the other blogs (creme caramel, souffle, home made ice cream, fruit tarts, and the like).

Australia does have some archetypal sweet things, such as lamingtons (small cubes of sponge bisected horizontally and filled with jam then iced with chocolate icing and rolled in coconut. The other (which is going to get screams from our NZ brethren who lay claims to its origins) is the Pavlova, which is a large mound of lamington topped with fruit and cream. I neither particularly enjoy nor make either of these.

In summer if I am doing a sweets course, depending on what preceded it, I might do something like strawberries tossed in balsamic with some basil (Italian touches there). My kids are up on Saturday and I will be cooking a nice dinner. Will see what I can do in the sweets arena with an Australian bent.

My eG Foodblog

Hi Kent,

As you may have seen from Snadra and my discussions, Sydney has wide variation in terms of food costs. I'll insert some of the prices as I go along but bear in mind that you could get the items much cheaper in other areas of Sydney. As far as wine goes, Australia has good quality wine for comparatively cheap prices. You should be able to get a good quality (not fine quality, but solid) for the $20-30 mark. We tend to drink wines too young here so I'll tend to stock up on slightly better class wines and lay them down for a few years. If you want to buy already matured wines, and can find them, expect to pay a significant premium.

The wine shops tend to be controlled by large grocery players and they are normally able to beat the wineries down in price through leveraged buying. You will typically get 10-30% off the price of wines if you buy six or more (of any mix), so this is a good way of purchasing wine.

My eG Foodblog

Maybe... although looking at yours again, my mother's book was a hardcover (still cordon bleu cookery course, and the exact picture, I'm certain) - I think published in the late 60s/early 70s, rather than the newsagent series publication you've got.

Which brings me to another question: given the influence it had on you, do you still cook from it at all, or any of your 'early cookbooks', or have your interests and tastes changed?

That's a hard one to answer. Do I go back and look at the recipes? Sometimes. Am I strongly influenced by the processes that it taught me for things like pastry making so much so that it comes into play automatically? Absolutely. If I'm adapting a recipe, which you will see tends to happen virtually all the time, I'll use foundational techniques acquired from the books without a second thought.

Some of the recipes are very 60s and 70s directed (brandy snaps, Beef Wellington, etc) so I'm less likely to do them. Yet I will still go in and look at suggestions for things like herbed butters that I sometimes still put on grilled steaks.

My eG Foodblog