• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casserole Pan Suggestions

DanM

The one pan I am lacking in my kitchen is a decent casserole pan. I have typically used my Chicago Metallic 9x13ish metal pan, but it always seems too big. I am considering the tried and true Pyrex pan, but I wanted to hear what others use and what my options are. I am looking for approx 9x13 in size.

Thanks!

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

If you've got some spare time, then work your way through the braising discussions that are hosted here at the eGCI. The first part especially is devoted to the differences between different types of cooking vessels. Within the various posts (spread out over several sections) are loads of opinions and feedback about different types of casserole pans/ dutch ovens. It's a great way to begin, and you'll learn a lot about braising too :-)

Options, options, and many price points.

When I entertain, it's mostly buffet style, so I like to get multiples of casserole dishes and I tend to stick with white (easier to find and they always match). So I have an assortment of types and sizes.

You can't go wrong with Pyrex, tried and true, always affordable. I've never had a problem with breakage unless I drop the dish - and even then... I use them all the time in the kitchen, but frankly I don't like the look on a party table and have no trouble finding more attractive inexpensive casseroles. Similarly I don't care for the look of Corning Ware. (just my personal take)

My top of the pile is the Le Creuset which comes in two sizes. I've been able to snag them at sale prices, but still pricey. There's something about that enameled heavy cast iron hanging onto the heat that does wonders for my lasagnas. And it's the easiest clean up. I think that Lodge has some much less expensive enameled cast iron, though I haven't seen it yet. And there are other cast iron lines - Tramontina, Batalli or is it Bam (?), probably others.

I do have a couple of those thinner enameled steel casseroles, lightweight, inexpensive, but need tender handling or you'll nick the enameling.

I have mostly clay pots.

If price is not an issue and you're up for something partyish, check out artisan potteries. All stoneware is ovenproof. Prices range greatly. Note stoneware is heated at temperatures too high for the potter to use lead, so is always safe. Lowfired cooking pottery made in this country tends not to have lead.

Cazuelas and other pottery from Mexico and Spain may or may not be lead free. Low fired clay bodies may be made with lead glazes. They're still useful for many things, but long cooking acidic foods, not so much.

Other imported traditional casseroles would include such things as sand pots from Asia - which may or may not have lead - I haven't been able to find out about that. There are also other shapes. I recently found an inexpensive deep lidded casserole similar in shape to a canister. Both these can be used on the stove or in the oven.

For the more traditional ethnic type casseroles and pots, check out unglazed pottery from North Africa or South America. Beautiful blacks and tans. No glaze, no lead problem. And these are traditionally used over a flame, though I sometimes put them in the oven. You could even check out Paula Wolfert's book on clay pot cooking. Lots more info there.

Most of my casserole dishes in a variety of sizes were found at Marshall's using the very sound principle of nothing more than $10. and less if you please. I'm sure other discount type places have them, too. (Home Goods, TJ Maxx, etc. - which, btw, I recently learned are all part of the same company. Where have I been?)

I've also seen plain glass casserole dishes at Ikea some time ago, similar to Pyrex but a little more dressed up looking. The down side was they lacked those useful handles at the ends. Don't remember how much they were, but comparable with Pyrex.

Last and not least. Garage sales and flea markets. Check to make sure they're not cracked.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I have a several "vintage" Pyrex/Corning pieces that were my mother's, so I'm fairly confident that they're made and tempered properly, and aren't going to blow up on me. I use them regularly and love them, both square/rectangular pans and round, covered casseroles. I also have a "newer" (maybe 15 year old) Corning 11x15-inch pan that's sort of rounded on the corners, so it's more oval than rectangular. I use that regularly as well, for lasagnas, enchiladas, baked zitis, mac & cheese, etc. Never had a problem with that either, though I am careful not to expose it to temperature shocks.

I have one of the "Polish Stoneware" pieces that were/are so popular. It's just gorgeous, but it says not to use it above 350°, so I don't use it as often as the glass pieces. I love it though, because it holds heat so well. Because they're so beautiful, I'd have more if I could afford them, unfortunately, they are very pricey.

I don't love making casserole-y things in metal. The bottom always seems to get too cooked and brown for my taste. I'd think the Emile Henry type pans would be good, but again, pretty big bucks. I'm not sure how I'd feel about enameled cast iron. I loves me my Le Cruset, but braisings such a different method than casseroles...

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Le Crueset makes casseroles and gratins that are non-cast iron but more like the Emile Henry stuff... They feel solid without being overly heavy. They're made in china so they are much cheaper than their cast iron pieces and can usually be picked up at TJ Max for under $20. I've got at least 5 in various colors and sizes and they all produce beautiful crusty edges.

Edited by Crouton (log)

What exactly is a casserole pan? I take it most of us mean a pan that is a lot wider than it is deep. Over time I have acquired four pans that I think of like that, all of which are different but useful sizes. They have sides that vary from about 3 inches to 4 inches. Three are rectangular, one is oval. The oval one is the deepest, and it is pyrex. Traditionally I have used it for eggplant parm, but only because it's easier to snuggle round slices into a curved edge and because my eggplant parm tends to be a little deeper than my lasagne. The giant rectangular one is Creuset enamel cast iron. It weighs about a thousand pounds but it's a thing of beauty. I don't look forward to a time when I can't carry it fully loaded. The next one down is glazed porcelain, Emile Henry style but I don't think it's Emile Henry as I don't remember it being pricey. The smallest one is another Creuset, very old, with funny metal handles that I purchased used on eBay. It's adorable, too small for lasagne, but perfect for mac 'n' cheese for two or three with one serving of leftovers. When it comes to something like lasagne, I've never noticed that the enameled cast iron and the clay turn out markedly different ones. My lasagne comes out pretty much the same every time. (And that's a good thing.)

In fact a great lasagne can be made in a funky old metal roasting pan in my experience. Casserole is just another word for forgiveness. The funky metal roasting pan is one of my oldest pans, and I'm very attached to it. It works surprisingly well for roasting vegetables in the oven. If I saw it at the Goodwill I would think, eww, but after 30 or 40 years, I see my pan as being well seasoned.

I have a bunch of Corning bakeware, from the "cornflower" to the somewhat newer French White.

The French White was on sale at Kohl's last week, both sets and "open stock" single pieces.

You can find it all the time at very reasonable cost on ebay.

The 3 quart rectangular with rounded corners is the most versatile and I have three. It is perfect for lasagna, enchiladas, tamale pie and etc.

This Corning product is not very subject to "exploding" as the newer Pyrex products and if it does break (usually when dropped) the pieces are certainly easier to find and to avoid stepping on.

If you live near a "factory outlet" mall, check to see if they have a Corning outlet. There used to be one here in my city and I bought a ton of Corning at minimal prices and still have a few pieces that have never been used and a 4-quart dutch oven with lid was priced at $14.99, pretty cheap.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Casserole is just another word for forgiveness.

I love this. Did you make it up just now?

Also, Andie, as for you having 'a bunch of Corning Ware'...you are the Queen of the Kitchenware in my books.

I too have a mishmash of this and that accumulated over 50 years of married life, some from my Mother, some from my Mother-in-Law, a few purchased in a regular store and mostly from second hand stores.

I use mostly old Pyrex of different sizes and shapes, and like Katie have special dishes for certain recipes.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I do have certain baking dishes for special recipes.

Besides the Corning, I have several Hall China ovenware pieces and one round covered casserole is the one I use exclusively for scalloped potatoes. They simply do not taste as good when cooked in anything else.

:rolleyes:

I also have a huge stoneware covered casserole that I use only for meat pie for a crowd. Those are my personal preferences and I'm sure that some people regard it as somewhat odd but I've never denied that.

In my opinion, much of the stuff on the market today is hugely overpriced and while I am willing to pay for things that I think are worth it, I can't see paying premium prices when an attractive but much cheaper alternative is available.

Corning has been doing it right for many years and I would venture to say that their products outsell all the others combined by a factor of 1000 to one.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have several of the "French White" Corningware casseroles. One reason I like them is that they come with (or you can buy separately) heavy plastic snap-on flat lids (for the freezer or refrigerator) as well as the glass lids. I have a smallish round one and a bigger oval one, and they get a lot of use. I have a pretty blue ceramic Le Creuset dish with lid that I use for company, and when I know I won't be freezing the casserole, but for make-ahead-and-freeze-for-later, those Corningware ones can't be beat.

Darienne, yes, I did make that up on the spot. I'm impressed with myself.

My nephew just moved to a new apartment and has virtually nothing. I've been thinning out so I can give him some stuff as well as make some room on my shelves. I realized there are several cooking vessels that I use exactly once a year if then, and only for one specific dish. It's been interesting to question whether I really need those things, or if something else can fill in. Mostly the answer is no, nothing else will do. Aah, stuff.

We have a full set of Corning French White casserole pans. I use the small ramekins all the time to feed my daughter. I like the oval and round shapes as they tend to prevent burnt or overcooked corners. I will look into the 3 qt oblong model... that may be the way to go.

Lodge enamel cast iron pans do have a place in my heart. They do have some nice gratin pans that I have been eying. I guess that is a topic for another day... La Creuset vs Lodge Enamel. Is La Creuset worth 3x the price?

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.