• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Canned Product

weinoo

More votes for Herdez canned salsas - casera & verde. Not only are they tasty, they're a perfect size to keep around for emergencies when we're out of our homemade salsa, and an even better size to ship to salsa-missin' friends, family, troops, etc., overseas.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Not tinned or in glass, but the Pomi tomatoes OR the Pomi marinara sauce in the boxes is fantastic!

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Bionaturae Organic Whole Tomatoes from Tuscany - Love these, and prefer them over the several brands of DOP San Marzano tomatoes I've tried. The Bionaturae have more tang, which I love.

http://www.bionaturae.com/tomatoes.html

Eden beans - pinto, black, navy, chickpeas, etc. They're the only ones without added salt, plus they're organic.

Delmonte unsalted corn.

Ortega Fire Roasted Green Chiles.

Swanson Low Sodium Chicken Broth.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Just thought of a couple of new ones, although I will stand firmly in the camp of S&W canned tomatoes (as well as Hunt's and Muir Glen when I can find them), any Herdez product, Swanson low sodium broths and of course Ortegas....

Jolly Green Giant Mexicorn. Sometimes you just need it for a recipe, and I usually have a can of it around.

S&W creamed corn. Yeah, it's pasty, but it's comfort food.

One I'm *not* ashamed of is Ro-Tel tomatoes & chiles. Don't remember if anyone mentioned that before, but the 2 corn products are serious head-hanging-in-shame purchases.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Goya olives stuffed w anchovies.

I cant find those little bites of heaven in any other form, and nothing else so immediately invokes Spain to me.

Ortega diced green chilies -

consistent, predictable, and conveniently portioned.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I have a hard time finding canned tomatoes that don't have salt added. That's the reason why I don't get Muir Glen. I like to be able to control the amount of salt in a dish, which I have a tough time doing when so many canned tomatoes already have it. I've generally found it's easier to find canned whole tomatoes without salt added than it is to find other canned tomatoes (diced, etc.) but all the Muir Glen ones at my grocery in whatever form had salt.

Heinz Baked Beans

I much prefer Bush's for baked beans - though Heinz will do in a pinch.

Goya olives stuffed w anchovies.

I cant find those little bites of heaven in any other form, and nothing else so immediately invokes Spain to me.

Goya stuffs everything into olives. My store carries Goya olives stuffed with anchovies, tuna, salmon, jalapeno, etc.

I'm fortunate enough to live near a great Spanish import store (Despana) and they carry a number of brands of stuffed olives in cans. La Espanola is a good one.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I just discovered this: Kyknos tomato paste. Would be found in a Greek specialty store. Yowza, is that good.

There is a lengthy section on tomatoes, featuring the canned tomato, in Lynne Rosetto Kasper's The Italian Country Table.

If confessions are welcome: Taco Bell Fat Free Refried Beans. I know what you're thinking, me too, but I like it.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Heinz Baked Beans

I much prefer Bush's for baked beans - though Heinz will do in a pinch.

I bet your taste different to ours.

Oh, shoot. I didn't notice where you were from. I'll bet they do too.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have a hard time finding canned tomatoes that don't have salt added. That's the reason why I don't get Muir Glen. I like to be able to control the amount of salt in a dish, which I have a tough time doing when so many canned tomatoes already have it. I've generally found it's easier to find canned whole tomatoes without salt added than it is to find other canned tomatoes (diced, etc.) but all the Muir Glen ones at my grocery in whatever form had salt.

Bionaturae and authentic San Marzano tomatoes have very little added salt, as compared to the high amount in Muir Glen, etc. You may want to check them out.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

If you have access to a Trader Joe's their diced tomatoes are salt-free and are quite good. They also have diced roasted tomatoes (not salt free) with jalapeno, which can be useful too. I keep both of them around.

Other than canned tomatoes, tuna and garbanzos are the other canned staples I actually like.

A few things my pantry is never without:

• Bush's black beans and Bush's white shoe-peg corn -- rinse the beans, drain the corn, and you've got the basis of a good, quick salad.
  • Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. Always some use for it.
  • Pet Evaporated Milk. Will replace half-and-half in a pinch and you're out of half-and-half and it's way cold or raining or snowing or you've had three glasses of wine and don't want to get out.
  • Sweet Sue canned chunk chicken. Huge timesaver when you want to make soup and don't want to fool with cooking chicken.
  • And, while it's jarred, not canned -- Great Value (Wal-Mart) brand black bean and white corn salsa. This is the best jarred mass-market salsa on the market. I can make a meal with equal parts salsa and grated colby-monterey jack blend cheese and a sizeable bag of tortilla chips.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thanks for the salt-free tips. I've found you're right about the San Marzanos tending to be salt-free. A lot of the tomatoes are packed in tomato juice, which often has salt in it even if they're not adding more.

At least tomato paste always seems salt-free!

Good call on the sweetened condensed milk. Its a unique ingredient, and I think is only available canned. I'm sure as shootin' not going to spend the time to make it!

Costco has decent canned chicken - works well in chicken salad, and the juice makes a nice stock for cooking rice etc.

But I've been without it too.

Smoked baby oysters. No special brand. Always there for an instant snack should guests arrive hungry.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.