• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Canned Product

weinoo

There's no doubt that Ortiz cans some mighty fine tuna and anchovies. I always have them in my pantry.

I recently discovered the Laurel Hill brand at Whole Foods. Reasonably priced, I'm really liking their imported Spanish artichoke hearts - very high quality.

So - Laurel Hill Imported Spanish Artichoke Hearts...$3.99

Got any tips?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This may sound ridiculous, but I am currently enamored with Hunt's Diced Tomatoes ("flash steam freshness"). I almost always have a version of home made salsa around. My frozen home-grown and decent farmstand tomatoes are already used up. I picked up a can of these at the 99 cent store. In the past I have bought recommended brands of canned tomatoes- but was not pleased with the taste or price. These are packed into the can with virtually no liquid to drain out and have a rich flavor. Of course they will probably disappear from the discount store. I have not looked for them in the big chains yet. With my luck they a fluke and were perhaps packed too tightly, but I will enjoy them weekly while they last.

Well, gosh, there are an awful lot of good canned products, but my recent obsession is Mama Lil's pickled goathorn peppers. It's hard to stop yourself from adding them to everything because everything they're added to magically becomes half again as delicious, and they blend in with dishes from so many different cuisines, and are so colorful and pretty.

Libby's Blue Lake Cut Green Beans. I was raised on Del Monte, which I could take or leave, but then I grew and canned the Blue Lake variety when I had a garden way back in the 70s and early 80s. Libby's have the same taste and texture as my canned beans.

Three right off the top of my head:

Herdez Salsa Ranchera -- You will not find a finer canned ready-to-eat salsa!

Kirkland water-packed albacore -- Costco really does manage to wring the best possible product out of the big guys.

La Valle or Strianese DOP San Marzano tomatoes (tie) -- Grab either one, you can't go wrong.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Herdez Salsa Ranchera -- You will not find a finer canned ready-to-eat salsa!

Yes! So funny that we assume the stuff in a glass jar is better but this unassuming and reasonably priced can is amazingly fresh tasting.

I've had the best luck with Italbrand DOP (what does that mean?) San Marzanos; there are only about three Italian brands that I see regularly on the shelves where we shop. One thing I've noticed about the Italian tomatoes is that they vary can to can, even within the same brand. I don't see that as a bad thing, necessarily. It makes more sense than tomatoes that taste exactly the same. Italbrand seems to be a bit more consistently good than some of the others. Cento doesn't have a presence around here, nor have I seen La Valle. Strianese, yes; they are sometimes very good, but sometimes anemic. I've tried the Muir Glen, but there is something about the taste that seems off to me. Maybe I just don't like the type of tomato they use?

I like the Ortiz stuff too. The bonito is what I use now whenever I want canned tuna. I've convinced myself that since bonito is a smaller fish, there's less mercury. And it makes a pretty decent tuna salad.

And Heidi, I haven't had a bad can of chipotles yet either, but I just assume that it's because it's so fiery that any subtleties escape me.

When I get a hankering for Vietnamese iced coffee I like Longevity Brand Sweetened Condensed milk. Partly I just love the can.

I've had the best luck with Italbrand DOP (what does that mean?) San Marzanos; there are only about three Italian brands that I see regularly on the shelves where we shop. One thing I've noticed about the Italian tomatoes is that they vary can to can, even within the same brand. I don't see that as a bad thing, necessarily. It makes more sense than tomatoes that taste exactly the same. Italbrand seems to be a bit more consistently good than some of the others. Cento doesn't have a presence around here, nor have I seen La Valle. Strianese, yes; they are sometimes very good, but sometimes anemic. I've tried the Muir Glen, but there is something about the taste that seems off to me. Maybe I just don't like the type of tomato they use?

I like the Ortiz stuff too. The bonito is what I use now whenever I want canned tuna. I've convinced myself that since bonito is a smaller fish, there's less mercury. And it makes a pretty decent tuna salad.

And Heidi, I haven't had a bad can of chipotles yet either, but I just assume that it's because it's so fiery that any subtleties escape me.

When I get a hankering for Vietnamese iced coffee I like Longevity Brand Sweetened Condensed milk. Partly I just love the can.

DOP means it's from a region whose name is protected for use by products, isn't it? Kind of like "Champagne" must come from Champagne?

I agree with Longevity Brand, too. If it doesn't have the old guy on the can, it's just not right.

As far as cans vs. jars, what's said above is true for many products, but not all.

I much prefer Goya's jarred pimentos vs. their canned ones, for instance. Overall, I like Goya canned beans, and they've now added a "premium" level of canned bean, whatever the heck that means.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Whatever that brand of San Marzano tomatoes Costco stocks... They come in the huge 50+ ounce cans. I dread the day they stop carrying them. Off topic here, but why the heck did they switch their coupon on Dove body wash to that nasty shae butter OIl of Ollay. Drives me crazy when I find a product I like and they go and change it on me.

It's difficult to limit myself to just one.

I also buy the Muir Glen whole tomatoes by the case and I am also a fan of Herdez -

My current favorite

I buy from Amazon, via "Subscribe and Save" canned certified organic pumpkin Farmer's Market brand from Oregon. The cans are 15 ounces, perfect for most recipes I prepare.

I think the flavor is exceptional and I am fairly picky.

I'm trying to use more organic products and foods sourced in the U.S.

I went through a case of 12 cans in two months while also using "fresh" pumpkin for some recipes. It's doubtful I will use it that rapidly during the rest of the years but it works beautifully in soup and I love pumpkin soup.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Everying I use is listed here. Nothing to add. I will say that I discovered chipotle in adodo on my first adventure in Mexico in 1970 and it's nice to know that the rest of the world has caught up.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

On the East Coast, it's only ever Tuttorosso tomato products. Whole, diced, crushed, or puree, always good and always affordable. I love San Marzano tomatoes but I can't justify $5 a can, especially when I need four big cans to make sauce.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

With the exception of tomatoes, food preserved in jars tastes better to me than the same stuff in cans. Heartsurgeon, you might try Annalisa ceci in the jar. I find them tastier and less tinny than any canned chick peas. Same goes for tahini if you are making hummus. The tahini in jars like Sadaf or Middle East brands seem far superior than tahini in a can; the consistency is softer, it doesn't need to be mixed nearly as much as the canned stuff does. I've also found that buying tahini from a store that specializes in mid-east ingredients and has a higher turnover results in fresher tahini, as well as more options.

I was just getting set to respond to this thread and thought...oh oh, wait, google it first. I could not believe my eyes. Our favorite soup, the one we were both raised on from childhood, the one that spoke volumes of home and hearth to us, the only canned soup we eat, the one we bring to Utah with us every year, was owned by Campbell's.

Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup with real smoked ham and lard. No, it's not as good as homemade, but when you are cold, or tired, or can't be bothered, there it is in the familiar yellow can with navy lettering, to be simply heated and eaten.

Or as usually happens, DH steps in and adds grated carrot, cooked rice and half a can of chickpeas. Then I add parsley and fresh ground pepper.

That's my canned product story.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.