• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin

nakji

I often do that as a pasta sauce. Just chunks sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and dried chili flakes. I mush it down when the pasta's cooked, then toss it all together with a bit of pasta water. Seasoned with salt, Parmesan and a glug of good vinegar, it's the bee's knees.

• 9 months later...

I've been making gnocchi in pumpkin sauce for my dinners lately. Chicken stock and carrot juice is reduced down. The pumpkin is roasted, ran through a fine sieve and pureed with cream. I heat the stock and then add the pumpkin puree. People are diggin' it.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Baron, first your terrines, now your pumpkins...you are an artist!

For those of us content with the simple, I finally got around to making a stuffed whole sugar pumpkin from Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table. Picture here. I loved it, as did others, but you can see from Emily_R's post following mine that not everyone was impressed with the recipe. A good idea, though, if you're willing to play with the concept.

I made this Creole Pumpkin Soup w/ Andouille & Tasso fairly recently and it is one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth no lie. Used my homemade meats and a few changes to the recipe: pureed the veg with the soup (but not the meat) and added a touch of cream and a few dashes of red wine vinegar at the end. Sublime, and a superlative use for both pumpkins and Louisiana's finest pork products.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

My recipe, developed over a period of several years of tweaking with input from my lovely Mexican neighbors.

Original Pumpkin Chili Mexicana

This recipe makes a lot but it's not difficult to reduce it to a more manageable amount.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My favorite: Pumpkin Galette. Roast smallish chunks of pumpkin w/ some onion (tossed w/ olive oil, s&p, 425 oven). Roll a puff pastry sheet thinnish--I usually use store bought; round off the corners a bit with sissors if you want. Sprinkle pumpkin/onion on top,leaving one inch border (not all of it, unless it's a really small pumpkin); fold up border over pumpkin. A sprinkle of feta is good. Bake about 25 min. I usually cut it in quarters and have one quarter with a big spinach salad, really good! The remaining pumpkin often gets stirred into a black bean chili, which I make w/ a square or 2 of unsweetened chocolate--bliss.

Kathyann, a belated welcome to eGullet!

Both those ideas sound fantastic. I love anything in puff pastry, and the addition of pumpkin to a black bean chili really sounds like a winner--nice contrast between earthy and sweet flavors, and I'll bet the colors are pretty too.

Yesterday it was cold and rainy part of the day, perfect for soup.

I made a half batch of Provence Style Pumpkin Soup

however, I changed it into something quite different, with just two modifications.

Instead of the apple jelly I used peach chutney and I also added two tablespoons of Patak's Garam Masala Curry Paste.

The result was spicy, sweet/savory and very, very warming. I actually made it in the Thermomix (the lazy way) but it works nicely using the standard technique.

I also made the croutons with a homemade whole wheat bread as that was what I had on hand.

My Mexican neighbor makes savory pumpkin empanadas in which the filling is flavored with onions, garlic, Mexican oregano, chiles and crushed chicharron. They are sized for just two or three bites but are extremely filling.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My favorite: Pumpkin Galette. Roast smallish chunks of pumpkin w/ some onion (tossed w/ olive oil, s&p, 425 oven). Roll a puff pastry sheet thinnish--I usually use store bought; round off the corners a bit with sissors if you want. Sprinkle pumpkin/onion on top,leaving one inch border (not all of it, unless it's a really small pumpkin); fold up border over pumpkin. A sprinkle of feta is good. Bake about 25 min. I usually cut it in quarters and have one quarter with a big spinach salad, really good! The remaining pumpkin often gets stirred into a black bean chili, which I make w/ a square or 2 of unsweetened chocolate--bliss.

Sounds like some great ideas - we are overrun with butternut squash and this use seems perfect.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I had a small pumpkin i quatered and roasted in the oven the other day. I've been eating the flesh slowly in a whole bunch of applications but yesterday involved a 'light' and every quick soup. A bit of water heated up some frozen peas, chunks of the roasted pumpkin added to it a few mins after. In a small pan, fried up some sausages and then a little sliced onion. Curry powder added spice and then deglazed with a little water. Everything in the small pot, season to taste, thickened with a little roux that i had lying around.

Wasn't bad with some fresh bread i made earlier :)