• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Assam Black Teas from India

Richard Kilgore

When we lived in Bangalore, I tried quite a few of the local ones, and my favorite was always Kho-Cha. Just seemed to be 'right'. I'm not enough of a tea person to describe in detail what I liked about it.

Of course, I also took a liking to mixing my kho-cha assam and darjeeling in the last year or so we were there...

I don't know if you can get Kho-Cha here, I haven't tried as I brought back a big pile when we came back to the us.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Fair notice: if you're a tea connoisseur, stop reading now.

Call me Mr. Cheap, but I just buy packaged bulk Assam at an Indian grocery. Currently I'm working on a pound (or maybe half-kilo) bag of Nirav brand (Ive also used "Assam CTS Tea" from B&A and from Taj Food & Gifts). I like Assam because I can brew up a pot of it and I don't have to be concerned about it getting bitter as it stands. It's also pretty economical. And in hot weather, it makes good iced tea.

Although I don't generally use tea bags at home, I do when I'm traveling. I've found the Brook Bond "Taj Mahal Orange Pekoe" bags (which are some sort of blend of Assam teas) to be reliably good. They're full 2 gram tea bags, and again, pretty economical (about 4 cents apiece).

Dick in Northbrook, IL

• 2 weeks later...

I found an over-the-top excellent Assam at The Culture Cup a few days ago: a Jamirah Estate Assam. But still looking for other recommendations.

Any other Assams to recommend?

I particularly like the Sessa estate Assam.

Tea Time is where I purchased it. First I purchased the Assam Teas Sampler and liked the Sessa so much I ordered more.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett