• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Baking Help!

awbrig

Whew, thanks for coming to my rescue!

I am making Chocolate Truffles and the recipe calls for

12 OZ bittersweet chocolate

3 Tablespoons butter

1 3/4 heavy Cream

However, I am using an unsweetened 9.7 oz bar of Scharffenberger Chocolate. What extra steps do I do to transfer unsweetened to bittersweet. - The Scharfenberger pamphlet suggested using 10 - 20% less chocolate than the recipe call for - so I will just use the bar of 9.7 oz instead of 12 oz. - Also it says to reduce the butter or fat by 1/4 to 1/3 - not sure what to do here - and finally to add sugar up to 30 to 60% of the chocolate...

- How much sugar should I add and when....thanks for any help or suggestions! :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

why do you wake up so late at night? :angry:

Try using a 1/4 cup. Maybe another tablespoon if you want more. I like less.. even less than a 1/4 cup. But I love bitter. Not many can appreciate bitter tasting stuff as much I.

When are you making them? Now?? :rolleyes:

Will you send me some to sample? :smile:

late? its late in NY not here silly...im in Chicago

a 1/4 cup of what?

they are for Liams baptism for mignardises...Trotters is doing the Baptism Cake which should be really awesome...

im also dusting the truffles in Vahlrona cocoa powder and would be happy to send them to you Suvir and anyone else who would like some... :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

late? its late in NY not here silly...im in Chicago

a 1/4 cup of what?

they are for Liams baptism for mignardises...Trotters is doing the Baptism Cake which should be really awesome...

im also dusting the truffles in Vahlrona cocoa powder and would be happy to send them to you Suvir and anyone else who would like some... :smile:

1/4 cup of sugar. Is that not what you asked about Sir?

Suvir,

I talked about the quantity of chocolate, butter and sugar...but you're right only officically sugar....but interested in all of those aspects....

No Curry planned but could make a definate exception for Mr. Suvir Saran Wrap! :biggrin:

But I made these when I had very provincial taste for chocolate. Not something I have made recently.

Just thought it may help you understand the acceptable ratio of the different ingredients.

Hope it is of some help.

All the best with making these truffles. You are a great father. Liam will certainly thank you as an adult if he does not appreciate this effort now. Something tells me he will. He looks like a very smart young man.

All the best with his special day. :smile:

OK, I added a lot more sugar than a gew tablespoons, alot more!

Now the chocolate is going to chill...I am assuming I let it cool and firm up and then I scoop them into balls and cover with the cocoa, right?

OK, I added a lot more sugar than a gew tablespoons, alot more!

Now the chocolate is going to chill...I am assuming I let it cool and firm up and then I scoop them into balls and cover with the cocoa, right?

You can rub your hands in cocoa as you roll into balls.

Let the ball rest for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.

You can then dust the balls into more cocoa, confectioners sugar, curry powder, chopped nuts or whatever else meets your fancy.

"he recipe calls for them to be chilled for 3 hours

i want to make sure they are firm enough to scoop them into balls "

I have never frozen the ganache for that long. Maybe a half hour.. To ensure that it is cold enough to handle. Did you freeze the ganache in the shape of piped mounds? If so, I would not freeze it that long... just enough to make the mounds firm enough to handle.