• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
awbrig

Chocolate Baking Help!

Whew, thanks for coming to my rescue!

I am making Chocolate Truffles and the recipe calls for

12 OZ bittersweet chocolate

3 Tablespoons butter

1 3/4 heavy Cream

However, I am using an unsweetened 9.7 oz bar of Scharffenberger Chocolate. What extra steps do I do to transfer unsweetened to bittersweet. - The Scharfenberger pamphlet suggested using 10 - 20% less chocolate than the recipe call for - so I will just use the bar of 9.7 oz instead of 12 oz. - Also it says to reduce the butter or fat by 1/4 to 1/3 - not sure what to do here - and finally to add sugar up to 30 to 60% of the chocolate...

- How much sugar should I add and when....thanks for any help or suggestions! :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

why do you wake up so late at night? :angry:

Try using a 1/4 cup. Maybe another tablespoon if you want more. I like less.. even less than a 1/4 cup. But I love bitter. Not many can appreciate bitter tasting stuff as much I.

When are you making them? Now?? :rolleyes:

Will you send me some to sample? :smile:

late? its late in NY not here silly...im in Chicago

a 1/4 cup of what?

they are for Liams baptism for mignardises...Trotters is doing the Baptism Cake which should be really awesome...

im also dusting the truffles in Vahlrona cocoa powder and would be happy to send them to you Suvir and anyone else who would like some... :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

late? its late in NY not here silly...im in Chicago

a 1/4 cup of what?

they are for Liams baptism for mignardises...Trotters is doing the Baptism Cake which should be really awesome...

im also dusting the truffles in Vahlrona cocoa powder and would be happy to send them to you Suvir and anyone else who would like some... :smile:

1/4 cup of sugar. Is that not what you asked about Sir?

Do not forget dusting them in some Curry Powder as well.

But please... PLEASE.. make sure not to send me those. I am happy being given the less exciting ones. :smile:

Suvir,

I talked about the quantity of chocolate, butter and sugar...but you're right only officically sugar....but interested in all of those aspects....

No Curry planned but could make a definate exception for Mr. Suvir Saran Wrap! :biggrin:

Suvir,

I talked about the quantity of chocolate, butter and sugar...but you're right only officically sugar....but interested in all of those aspects....

No Curry planned but could make a definate exception for Mr. Suvir Saran Wrap! :biggrin:

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 stick butter, cut into pieces

3 tablespoons granulated sugar or to taste

9 oz. bitter chocolate, finely chopped

3 tablespoons armagnac

But I made these when I had very provincial taste for chocolate. Not something I have made recently.

Just thought it may help you understand the acceptable ratio of the different ingredients.

Hope it is of some help.

All the best with making these truffles. You are a great father. Liam will certainly thank you as an adult if he does not appreciate this effort now. Something tells me he will. He looks like a very smart young man.

All the best with his special day. :smile:

thanks Suvir, that is very nice of you!

you didnt add any sugar to the ingredients, accident or no/

1/2 stick butter, cut into pieces

3 tablespoons granulated sugar or to taste

9 oz.  bitter chocolate, finely chopped

ooops sorry you did add a teeny bit of sugar - sorry!

Edited by awbrig (log)

You must actually be working on those truffles. I see you have not posted here...

Hope they turn out well and Liam enjoys them as well. :smile:

OK, I added a lot more sugar than a gew tablespoons, alot more!

Now the chocolate is going to chill...I am assuming I let it cool and firm up and then I scoop them into balls and cover with the cocoa, right?

OK, I added a lot more sugar than a gew tablespoons, alot more!

Now the chocolate is going to chill...I am assuming I let it cool and firm up and then I scoop them into balls and cover with the cocoa, right?

You can rub your hands in cocoa as you roll into balls.

Let the ball rest for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.

You can then dust the balls into more cocoa, confectioners sugar, curry powder, chopped nuts or whatever else meets your fancy.

do you suggest I put some sugar in the cocoa before I dust them?

Nah.. you do not need any sugar in the cocoa. Certainly not after you say you have added lots of sugar already. :smile:

ok and then should I freeze them or refrig them until Sun afternoon

Refrigerate in an air tight container.

Bring them to room temperature for 30 minutes before you are ready to serve.

They should then be at a good temperature to be enjoyed for their greatness.

"he recipe calls for them to be chilled for 3 hours

i want to make sure they are firm enough to scoop them into balls "

I have never frozen the ganache for that long. Maybe a half hour.. To ensure that it is cold enough to handle. Did you freeze the ganache in the shape of piped mounds? If so, I would not freeze it that long... just enough to make the mounds firm enough to handle.

i have the chocolate chilling in a bowl in the fridge...I havent molded them yet

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By ChristysConfections
      I am trying to find boxes like these pictured below, with matching candy trays and candy pads. They are about the size of a piece of paper and about 2-2 1/2 inches high. Haven’t had any luck finding them domestically. Anyone else use something like these? How do you store/package your bulk chocolates?

• By pastrygirl
      Has anyone used the chocolate pump that TCF offers?  https://www.tcfsales.com/products/c115-mol-d'art-melters/

I'd like to increase both production and efficiency, so I'm looking at a 20-24kg melter, the pump, and possibly an EZ temper as an upgrade from a 6kg melter, a bunch of bowls and a ladle.

What do other chocolatiers think?  I doubt I'll jump right into 24kg at a time, but I figure might as well have the capacity since it is the same footprint as the 12kg melter.  The pump would save a lot of time with molding, provided it doesn't clog up or over-temper the chocolate - is a stray chunk going to cause havoc?  And if it is a full 24kg, that's a lot of chocolate to hand-temper, so much heavy stirring.  Would the pump be able to mix in EZ Temper silk and make tempering virtually hands-free?

thanks!

• By MrJonathanGreen40
      One of my friends is leaving for Spain next week, and I’m planning to surprise her with a party before she leaves. Since she’s a huge lover of sweets, I decided to buy her a cake. I don’t know where to start looking, but my brother suggested that I buy from this online provider of custom cakes. I checked their website, and I think they have cakes that my friend will love. I haven’t bought anything yet because I want to be 100% sure that their cakes are truly excellent. Do you have any idea how I should examine cakes through the Internet? What are the things that I must take into consideration? Thanks!
    • By jedovaty
      Hi:

I'm making some homemade peanut butter cups, but shaping them like bon bons instead.  I don't have bon bon molds, so instead I'm dipping the peanut butter centers into tempered chocolate.  As the chocolate coating sets, it contracts and my soft peanut butter center squirts out a little.  Is there a way to prevent this, or do I need to do a second dipping?  I've tried with both frozen and room temp centers (although peanut butter with a little vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar doesn't seem to freeze at all).