• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carlisle - or thereabouts

We'll have had a long day's drive south and reckon on an overnight stop at Carlisle. Is there any halfway decent nosh in the city or very immediate neighbourhood? The usual guidebooks turn up zilch until you get to south Cumbria.

John Hartley

• 5 months later...

FARLAM HALL, NR BRAMPTON

In the end, I found this country house hotel in the GHG and Hardens.

But, as this is a food board, I’ll not describe how lovely a country house hotel experience Farlam Hall is. Except, of course, for those matters which are food related. So, your welcome to the hotel is accompanied by an immediate invitation to take afternoon tea in the sitting room (additional charge) – good coffee/tea, three delicious cakes. On the landing outside our room, a bowl of fruit with plates, knives and napkins for guests to help themselves. In the room, a dish of sweets. And, as expected, breakfast proved to be a bloody good “full English”. Yep, Farlam Hall really is a welcoming place.

Dinner is straightforward country house cooking.

A salmon fishcake, both fresh and smoked fish, sat on a bed of steamed leeks, surrounded by a cream sauce. Lots of fish, perfectly seasoned, good texture.

A Stilton pannacotta was a good cheesy flavour and was spot-on for wobble. Diced celery, apple, walnut and a scattering of cress provided crunch. I liked this a lot – although it was a bugger to eat with knife and fork and really could have done with a spoon as well. Still one manages as one must.

We both went with the beef fillet main. This was good meat, cooked properly and with a tasty, if a little thin, red onion sauce. In a welcome change from the cheffy presentation of vegetables on the plate, the greens stuff was simply cooked and served on a separate serving plate.

Cheese comes next. A good selection of British cheeses, including a fine Stilton, Yorkshire Blue, goat and sheep, served to you from a board, which had been happily sitting on the sideboard all evening. None of this poncy thin slices “just out of the fridge” nonsense. Celery, apple, grapes, biscuits accompany and, in yet another act that pushes the buttons for me, bread is also offered.

Desserts were a triumph. For me, “jelly and ice cream”. Mandarin jelly, Grand Marnier ice cream, a few slices of orange. A delicious full-on citrus treat.

Citrus cropped up in the other dessert. There was a French name for it, but we can’t recall – something ending in “biche”. It was a mix of flavoured set custard and Italian meringue, semi-frozen and then sliced into a “pie”. A scattering of the first of the local raspberries set it off.

Coffee and petit-fours were served back in the sitting room.

I’m unsure if the restaurant is open to non-residents. If not, then you’ll just have to stay the night. You won’t regret it.

John Hartley

FARLAM HALL, NR BRAMPTON

There was a French name for it, but we can’t recall – something ending in “biche”.

Mrs H states "Speak for yourself about your memory - it was a chiboust". She has a cruel tongue from time to time.

John Hartley