• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Cheap Ovenproof Dishes

slkinsey

A friend of ours has recently become pregnant and very tired. She also does 100% of the cooking in her family, so this has been somewhat difficult. I'd like to make her a bunch of prepared dishes that can be dragged out of the freezer, defrosted and bunged in the oven. Things like cassoulet and lasagne al forno, etc.

So, I'm in the market for some cheap ovenproof casserole dishes I can use for this project. Any firm ideas where these might be found in Manhattan?

--

Sam - I'm trying to think if I've ever seen those and don't think I have.

Of course, depending on how much you want to spend, there's always Pyrex; many of the oven-to-table items are less than $10.

And then, there's disposable aluminum...not the nicest, but definitely the cheapest.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

TJ Maxx might be an option... I was at the one at 99th and columbus last week and got some pretty decent deals on kitchen stuff.

Edit - One option that might be interesting is to line the a casserole dish with parchment paper before you prepare them, then pop the casserole out once it's frozen. Then you could give her a pile of panless casseroles and one pan to go with them.

Edited by davidkeay (log)

TJ Maxx might be an option... I was at the one at 99th and columbus last week and got some pretty decent deals on kitchen stuff.

Edit - One option that might be interesting is to line the a casserole dish with parchment paper before you prepare them, then pop the casserole out once it's frozen. Then you could give her a pile of panless casseroles and one pan to go with them.

Or use aluminum foil - regular or nonstick - instead of parchment.

I read this tip in Cook's Illustrated a couple years ago - they suggested going to garage sales or a thrift store to buy plates and dishes you can give out without having to worry about being returned.

Glad makes plastic bakeware that is good up to about 375*; I believe. I have bought these pans at Publix here in Florida and used them to bake cakes that I'll be taking to pot lucks and 'functions'. They are sturdy enough to be reused, but cheap enough to be chucked, as well. I love them, but they're getting hard to find! They have an 8 x 8 size, with a lid that comes with it; the lid is for transport only, and is not oven safe.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I go with the aluminum foil containers. They come in many sizes and if you are making something with some weight to it, that will be served from the container (such as lasagna) double them. That's what I do.

I prepare foods for people who are ailing, and families who have suffered some disaster and the last thing they need is something extra to wash and find storage for so I go with disposable things.

Also, if the dishes are going to be frozen, there is less chance of breakage. It has been 50 years since I was pregnant but I still carry a scar on my knee where I dropped a Pyrex pie plate right out of the freezer, when I had a dizzy spell, then fell onto the broken pieces. 14 stitches!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I'm with andiesenji. Disposal pans, doubled when needed. If there are certain dishes you'd rather serve from glassware try dollar stores. He in Park Slope Brooklyn we have a strip of dollar stores with very cheap pans and baking dishes.

What a great friend you are!!

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking