• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders: 2011-

Chris Amirault

On 5/24/2013 at 11:06 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As far as immersion blenders are concerned, I remain happy with my KitchenAid. However that Dynashake sure looks interesting. I'd like to be able to make a good milkshake. I've not had what I consider an acceptable milkshake in years, even from ice cream parlors using Vitamix and such.

Would a Dynashake do the job? Or is there someting better?

Humbly I retract my expressed happiness with KitchenAid.  I purchased the KitchenAid after my Cuisinart immersion blender burned out.  Unlike Cuisinart the KitchenAid did not burn out, but the KitchenAid motor now spins and spins while the blade does not move at all.  It's not like I relied on the KitchenAid more than once or twice a year.

The plan was for Kenji's Caesar salad...

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-caesar-salad-recipe

For the Caesar dressing Kenji calls for an immersion blender or a food processor.  Given my food processor is humongous and lives in the bedroom, I chose the immersion blender approach and was met with profound disappointment.  Thankfully I have an homogenizer on the kitchen counter.  And I am now set for my next batch of anchovy ice cream.

Is there any point to replacing the KitchenAid?  Is there anything an immersion blender will do that other kitchen appliances can't accomplish?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Humbly I retract my expressed happiness with KitchenAid.  I purchased the KitchenAid after my Cuisinart immersion blender burned out.  Unlike Cuisinart the KitchenAid did not burn out, but the KitchenAid motor now spins and spins while the blade does not move at all.  It's not like I relied on the KitchenAid more than once or twice a year.

For the Caesar dressing Kenji calls for an immersion blender or a food processor.  Given my food processor is humongous and lives in the bedroom, I chose the immersion blender approach and was met with profound disappointment.  Thankfully I have an homogenizer on the kitchen counter.  And I am now set for my next batch of anchovy ice cream.

Is there any point to replacing the KitchenAid?  Is there anything an immersion blender will do that other kitchen appliances can't accomplish?

I use my cuisinart miniprep ( https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2AMR-Mini-Prep-Processor-Metallic/dp/B00DGO3UUY/ref=asc_df_B00DGO3UUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151781903&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11454070315506408652&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007517&hvtargid=pla-273133840249&psc=1 )  more than my Braun stick blender.  This little beast shows up on cooking shows all the time..Pepin has one, Flay has one.

It cant homogenize a pot full of soup though

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I use my cuisinart miniprep ( https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2AMR-Mini-Prep-Processor-Metallic/dp/B00DGO3UUY/ref=asc_df_B00DGO3UUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151781903&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11454070315506408652&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007517&hvtargid=pla-273133840249&psc=1 )  more than my Braun stick blender.  This little beast shows up on cooking shows all the time..Pepin has one, Flay has one.

It cant homogenize a pot full of soup though

My Waring would probably handle most of that:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Granted the Waring won't homogenize a pot of soup.  But my Blendtec would cook the soup as well.  Why dirty a pot?

• Like 1

I really like my...

image.thumb.png.ca880688a349c7055b62c460a44355ea.png

Breville (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). After reading lots of reviews, and seeing it for $99, I took the plunge and have not been disappointed.

Whether or not you need one, @JoNorvelleWalker - I'll leave that to the lurking psychoanalysts.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I really like my...

image.thumb.png.ca880688a349c7055b62c460a44355ea.png

Breville (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). After reading lots of reviews, and seeing it for $99, I took the plunge and have not been disappointed.

Whether or not you need one, @JoNorvelleWalker - I'll leave that to the lurking psychoanalysts.

Thanks.  We'll see what happens come prime day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 11:32 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I like them for small tasks, especially things like make vinaigrettes. Of course you're the one person here with a rotor-stator homogenizer, so I can already hear you laughing at my Bamix. 

They're also handy for whipping a single egg white, or sticking into a pan on the stove to puree something to a somewhat finer texture. I use it more as a monster whisk than a mini blender. The smaller sized Bamix models are great for this use, because they're nimble and they spin very fast. They're probably not the best as a blender substitutes ... I've heard they're mediocre at things like pureeing a whole pot of soup, etc., which I use the vitamix for. 

Your stick blender died because it stripped a sacrificial plastic pin or gear. This is a part that's designed to protect a more expensive part if the thing gets overloaded—but it's a pointless feature here, since consumer stick blenders aren't designed to repaired anyway. It makes sense on a Kitchenaid mixer—whenever some genius throws a frozen stick of butter into the bowl (it happens somewhere on Earth every 15 minutes), the plastic gear strips, which feels catastrophic in the moment, but you're only actually out a $5 part and a greasy afternoon.

I don't think the Bamixes are built this way—they're transmissionless, so the only part that could break is the very accessible pin that holds the blade in place. It would take a serious commitment to abuse to shear that thing.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

32 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I like them for small tasks, especially things like make vinaigrettes. Of course you're the one person here with a rotor-stator homogenizer, so I can already hear you laughing at my Bamix. 

They're also handy for whipping a single egg white, or sticking into a pan on the stove to puree something to a somewhat finer texture. I use it more as a monster whisk than a mini blender. The smaller sized Bamix models are great for this use, because they're nimble and they spin very fast. They're probably not the best as a blender substitutes ... I've heard they're mediocre at things like pureeing a whole pot of soup, etc., which I use the vitamix for. 

Your stick blender died because it stripped a sacrificial plastic pin or gear. This is a part that's designed to protect a more expensive part if the thing gets overloaded—but it's a pointless feature here, since consumer stick blenders aren't designed to repaired anyway. It makes sense on a Kitchenaid mixer—whenever some genius throws a frozen stick of butter into the bowl (it happens somewhere on Earth every 15 minutes), the plastic gear strips, which feels catastrophic in the moment, but you're only actually out a $5 part and a greasy afternoon.

I don't think the Bamixes are built this way—they're transmissionless, so the only part that could break is the very accessible pin that holds the blade in place. It would take a serious commitment to abuse to shear that thing.

You are forgetting Kerry!  Though whether Kerry actually uses her homogenizer is an open question.  And remember my homogenizer has a motor unit built by Bamix.

I don't have much call for an immersion blender but if the price goes down I think I will take @weinoo's suggestion for the Breville.

• Like 1

Sorry about clogging up this topic, but I just looked at the immersion blender I have. Rival, bought at Wal-Mart many years ago. Works like a charm. Two speeds, one piece (can't be taken apart for washing but easy enough to clean). Never have had a problem with it.

• Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"