• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

I really like my...

image.thumb.png.ca880688a349c7055b62c460a44355ea.png

Breville (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). After reading lots of reviews, and seeing it for $99, I took the plunge and have not been disappointed.

Whether or not you need one, @JoNorvelleWalker - I'll leave that to the lurking psychoanalysts.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I really like my...

image.thumb.png.ca880688a349c7055b62c460a44355ea.png

Breville (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). After reading lots of reviews, and seeing it for $99, I took the plunge and have not been disappointed.

Whether or not you need one, @JoNorvelleWalker - I'll leave that to the lurking psychoanalysts.

Thanks.  We'll see what happens come prime day.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 11:32 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Humbly I retract my expressed happiness with KitchenAid.  I purchased the KitchenAid after my Cuisinart immersion blender burned out.  Unlike Cuisinart the KitchenAid did not burn out, but the KitchenAid motor now spins and spins while the blade does not move at all.  It's not like I relied on the KitchenAid more than once or twice a year.

The plan was for Kenji's Caesar salad...

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-caesar-salad-recipe

For the Caesar dressing Kenji calls for an immersion blender or a food processor.  Given my food processor is humongous and lives in the bedroom, I chose the immersion blender approach and was met with profound disappointment.  Thankfully I have an homogenizer on the kitchen counter.  And I am now set for my next batch of anchovy ice cream.

Is there any point to replacing the KitchenAid?  Is there anything an immersion blender will do that other kitchen appliances can't accomplish?

I like them for small tasks, especially things like make vinaigrettes. Of course you're the one person here with a rotor-stator homogenizer, so I can already hear you laughing at my Bamix. 

They're also handy for whipping a single egg white, or sticking into a pan on the stove to puree something to a somewhat finer texture. I use it more as a monster whisk than a mini blender. The smaller sized Bamix models are great for this use, because they're nimble and they spin very fast. They're probably not the best as a blender substitutes ... I've heard they're mediocre at things like pureeing a whole pot of soup, etc., which I use the vitamix for. 

Your stick blender died because it stripped a sacrificial plastic pin or gear. This is a part that's designed to protect a more expensive part if the thing gets overloaded—but it's a pointless feature here, since consumer stick blenders aren't designed to repaired anyway. It makes sense on a Kitchenaid mixer—whenever some genius throws a frozen stick of butter into the bowl (it happens somewhere on Earth every 15 minutes), the plastic gear strips, which feels catastrophic in the moment, but you're only actually out a $5 part and a greasy afternoon.

I don't think the Bamixes are built this way—they're transmissionless, so the only part that could break is the very accessible pin that holds the blade in place. It would take a serious commitment to abuse to shear that thing.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

32 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I like them for small tasks, especially things like make vinaigrettes. Of course you're the one person here with a rotor-stator homogenizer, so I can already hear you laughing at my Bamix. 

They're also handy for whipping a single egg white, or sticking into a pan on the stove to puree something to a somewhat finer texture. I use it more as a monster whisk than a mini blender. The smaller sized Bamix models are great for this use, because they're nimble and they spin very fast. They're probably not the best as a blender substitutes ... I've heard they're mediocre at things like pureeing a whole pot of soup, etc., which I use the vitamix for. 

Your stick blender died because it stripped a sacrificial plastic pin or gear. This is a part that's designed to protect a more expensive part if the thing gets overloaded—but it's a pointless feature here, since consumer stick blenders aren't designed to repaired anyway. It makes sense on a Kitchenaid mixer—whenever some genius throws a frozen stick of butter into the bowl (it happens somewhere on Earth every 15 minutes), the plastic gear strips, which feels catastrophic in the moment, but you're only actually out a $5 part and a greasy afternoon.

I don't think the Bamixes are built this way—they're transmissionless, so the only part that could break is the very accessible pin that holds the blade in place. It would take a serious commitment to abuse to shear that thing.

You are forgetting Kerry!  Though whether Kerry actually uses her homogenizer is an open question.  And remember my homogenizer has a motor unit built by Bamix.

I don't have much call for an immersion blender but if the price goes down I think I will take @weinoo's suggestion for the Breville.

• Like 1

Sorry about clogging up this topic, but I just looked at the immersion blender I have. Rival, bought at Wal-Mart many years ago. Works like a charm. Two speeds, one piece (can't be taken apart for washing but easy enough to clean). Never have had a problem with it.

• Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2022 at 12:40 PM, palo said:

I like Breville and have a lot of it

One of my favourite small Breville appliances is the Breville All-In-One.

24e74-breville2.jpg?w=640&h=390

I bought this in 2014  and at least one of the parts gets used daily.   I needed a new

immersion blender at the time which is why I bought this in the first place.  But it very quickly became my go

to as a food processor as well.  So much easier to get out just the bowl than the big Kitchenaid base which weighs almost 20 pounds.

I never tried mixing bread dough in it.  That might be one chore too many. 

Every attachment on this set works well.  Including the whisk for whipping eggs or whipping cream.

I did a couple of blog posts on all the   functions when I first got it.  Put it through its paces.

Would highly recommend this to anyone that doesn't need a heavy duty FP.

https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/07/24/new-kitchen-toy/

https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/08/13/new-kitchen-toy-follow-up/

I also have the Breville Pressure cooker which gets used regularly.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

One of my favourite small Breville appliances is the Breville All-In-One.

24e74-breville2.jpg?w=640&h=390

I bought this in 2014  and at least one of the parts gets used daily.   I needed a new

immersion blender at the time which is why I bought this in the first place.  But it very quickly became my go

to as a food processor as well.  So much easier to get out just the bowl than the big Kitchenaid base which weighs almost 20 pounds.

I never tried mixing bread dough in it.  That might be one chore too many. 

Every attachment on this set works well.  Including the whisk for whipping eggs or whipping cream.

I did a couple of blog posts on all the   functions when I first got it.  Put it through its paces.

Would highly recommend this to anyone that doesn't need a heavy duty FP.

https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/07/24/new-kitchen-toy/

https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/08/13/new-kitchen-toy-follow-up/

I also have the Breville Pressure cooker which gets used regularly.

I couldn't find this on amazon US.  Do you have a link?

38 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I couldn't find this on amazon US.  Do you have a link?

Amazon.com: Breville BSB530XL the All In One Immersion Blender, Stainless Steel: Mini Food Processors: Home & Kitchen

the All in One™ | breville

Edited by Ann_T (log)

22 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

The trick was to check the box for "include out of stock".  By default the BSB530XL did not show in the search results.

55 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

But Crate and Barrel doesn't actually have one to sell.

Except for Breville itself and an amazon scalper, there seems to be no stock of the BSB530XL anywhere.  I checked between ten and twenty retailers that showed up in a google search.  And it remains to be seen if Breville really, really has one.  I couldn't get the Breville site to work well for me, and I could not find mention of their shipping charges.

41 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Except for Breville itself and an amazon scalper, there seems to be no stock of the BSB530XL anywhere.  I checked between ten and twenty retailers that showed up in a google search.  And it remains to be seen if Breville really, really has one.  I couldn't get the Breville site to work well for me, and I could not find mention of their shipping charges.

So Breville has it in stock?  It looks like the Canadian Breville website also has it in stock.   They might ship to the US.

• Thanks 1

It may not have been the best time to purchase anything, given that I am facing a fraudulent charge on my bank account, but I ordered the BSB530XL from Breville:  $159.95 with free shipping.  So odd that it is out of stock everywhere else.  Either it is being replaced or Breville has a major supply problem on their hands.

A few months ago my KitchenAid immersion blender died, and @weinoo recommended the Breville immersion blender that he has.  Since then I've had my eye on the immersion blender, waiting for it to go on sale.  (It hasn't.)

To me the BSB530XL looks like the Breville immersion blender with extra parts.  I always love extra parts.*

*Unless we are talking about a chicken.

Last I checked Breville was an Australian company.  I notice that the All in One being sold in Australia is white.  I predict the All in One will eventually reappear in North America in white.

It will be interesting if there are other changes.

Breville designs their products in Australia, has them manufactured in China, then sells them worldwide. Their products are generally expensive, but I've found them to be innovative and well made.

p

All In One arrived.  Parts are nice but be careful what you wish for.  I counted nineteen.

I like the size of the bowl.  I hope to use it for mixing small amounts of pasta dough that are too little to make in the Cuisinart.

• Like 1

@Ann_T, when you sliced the sausage on your blog using the All in One, how hard was the sausage?  I ask because I have memories of slicing (or not) chorizo on my big Cuisinart and the motor seizing up.  I would love to be able to cut paper thin slices of chorizo and other sausages on the little Breville.

I had to try the Breville All In One for something.  I had my doubts but I used the mashed potato attachment for mashing.  To my considerable surprise the texture of the mashed potatoes was perfect.  My complaint is by the time they got to the plate the mashed potatoes were rather cold.

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Ann_T, when you sliced the sausage on your blog using the All in One, how hard was the sausage?  I ask because I have memories of slicing (or not) chorizo on my big Cuisinart and the motor seizing up.  I would love to be able to cut paper thin slices of chorizo and other sausages on the little Breville.

@JoNorvelleWalker, I've only sliced hard salami on it, not fresh sausage.  But a dried chorizo should be okay.  I did slice a leftover steak on it as well.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had to try the Breville All In One for something.  I had my doubts but I used the mashed potato attachment for mashing.  To my considerable surprise the texture of the mashed potatoes was perfect.  My complaint is by the time they got to the plate the mashed potatoes were rather cold.

At the time I bought mine I was also in the market for a new immersion blender and that is how I ended up with the All in One. 

Funny, I had never tried the mashed potato attachment until recently.  I found that after the accident using the potato ricer was uncomfortable so I tried the masher.  It is quick and easy. 

I tend to put my potatoes back in the pot when I drain them and let them dry a bit on the burner before

adding butter and cream or milk, and I mash right in the pot so I haven't found that they get cold. 

The little bowl is great for chopping larger quantities of garlic, or making bread crumbs and grating up parmesan cheese.  

I cracked the small bowl once so I ordered a replacement and while i was at it I backed up a few other parts just in case.  Their prices for accessories I found to be reasonable. 

I haven't tried mixing a dough using the All in One.  Will be interested in your experience. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, palo said:

Breville designs their products in Australia, has them manufactured in China, then sells them worldwide. Their products are generally expensive, but I've found them to be innovative and well made.

p

I'm a big fan of Breville small appliances.  Besides the All in One and the new Food processor, I also have their hand mixer and the Breville Pressure Cooker.  

Their counter top ovens get great reviews.  But I have two CSOs so I don't need another countertop.  BUT, if they ever come out with a steam oven, I might be tempted. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I like the size of the bowl.  I hope to use it for mixing small amounts of pasta dough that are too little to make in the Cuisinart.

I've had the All in One for 8 years and never tried making a dough in it. So, I decided this morning it was time to give it a test.  Just never thought to use it for dough.

Went with my  basic recipe adjusted to  300g of flour, 1 g of yeast, 7 g of salt and 190g of water.

193809304_300grambatchinBrevilleAllinOneOctober15th2022.thumb.jpg.0d612ab9d8d6a4f67f1c5b8084358f6f.jpg

Just out of the machine.   

I was surprised at how easily the machine handled the dough.  Although, not sure I would go much higher than 300 g of flour. 

454738110_300grambatchinBrevilleAllinOneafter2stretchesandfoldOctober15th2022.thumb.jpg.e8f78fef8b239b8d62db4721f2e42fd4.jpg

After 2 stretch and folds.

Told Matt that he can have it make a pizza.  He can either leave it out and make a pizza later today or stick in the fridge for a day or two.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

way back when I baked bread 

6 loafs every saturday.

my Cuisinart 11 cup Plus made it all happen.

FP  are very easy to use and clean.for this 

But this is just the All in One and powered by the immersion blender.  Wasn't expecting it to handle the dough like a 1200 watt FP.  Pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Allow me to assist the enablers with an Amazon link!

Breville BSB530XL All in One Immersion Blender (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

(Yes, I've been looking. Yes, I'm tempted. No, I haven't pulled the trigger...yet...)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown