• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

Bumping an old thread... In the end I bought a Braun 600w "Turbo", the made-in-Spain big brother of the one in andiesenji's post here:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/80222-immersion-hand-blenders/?do=findComment&comment=1089108 

It came with a whisk, a beaker, and a 500ml mini-bowl-chopper thing.

14 years later, I'm still using it.

Braun still make similar models, now in Eastern Europe, so parts are available. The top of the mini-bowl-chopper broke a few years ago, and I found the part at ereplacementparts.com for under US$10. Now the main wand thing is getting shaky, so that's the next part I'll need. The all-plastic shaft version I have doesn't seem to be available any more, but a stainless one now is. And I should probably get a new mini-bowl-chopper blade. It's also available.

Yes, at some point it's cheaper to buy a whole new rig, but I don't like throwing out things that still work, especially when everything newer is invariably junkier.

Observations:
 - I use the "turbo" speed 90% of the time, "regular" speed 10% of the time, and the variable-speed dial never.
 - I don't regret spending more for a more powerful model.
 - The plastic shaft has held up to blending hundreds of hot soups, and doesn't scratch non-stick. I like.
 - I didn't use the beaker for years. Then I found the 2-minute-immersion-blender-mayo trick. Now I use it regularly.
 - The 500ml chopper bowl is incredibly useful. I don't have a food processor any more.
 - Braun sell these with less-useful 350ml choppers in North America, where they assume everyone owns a food processor. In the rest of of the world, we usually don't. I'd want the 500ml.
 - Braun has been through 3 different owners (currently it's owned by DeLonghi, who also own Kenwood) since my unit was made.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I swear by Bamix immersion blenders.    Whereas recipes say to blend then strain, I find that straining is unnecessary when making a velvety soup or sauce.   

But to make mayo, I simply use a wire coil whisk

1243165317_ScreenShot2020-09-06at10_28_34AM.png.1566cc2dc30b4b0f6136de380fe4850e.png

in a French "working jar"

460493557_ScreenShot2020-09-06at10_29_15AM.png.337306e92f8b228edd6085cbd611ef9d.png

It emulsifies into mayo in under a minute, cap with its lid.   Rinse whisk and done..  

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

Another recent datapoint — I have had a Breville Control Grip for about a year now and have been pretty happy with it. It's much more powerful and effective than the Braun it replaced -- though that one was about 30 years old, so not saying much! I bought it after seeing Pai from Hot Thai Kitchen use hers frequently to make curry paste; I figured if it could get through galangal it would probably be fine.

The chopper bowl is about 750ml and I've found I use it quite a lot (which was kind of a surprise). The quality of the bundled accessories is also quite impressive -- the beaker and chopper are nice, heavy polycarbonate, with silicone in strategic places to keep them in place. The lid from the beaker nests onto the base to make a really good anti-slip base, and the chopper nests into the beaker for storage, as well. And excluding the parts with gears in them (the chopper lid and whisk adapter) everything can go in the dishwasher.

Serious Eats had claimed in an earlier writeup that the Breville couldn't make mayo, but they seem to have retracted that claim in their latest testing. I am ashamed to admit I haven't tried it...not a big mayo guy.

• Like 1

Maybe this sounds dumb, but here's a warning. I got a Bamix blender, intending to make salsa (pico de gallo) in small batches. Not a great tool for raw tomatoes. Yes, I know I can hand-slice tomatoes, but I actually like the texture of raw tomatoes pulsed in a food processor (e.g., Cuisinart). I thought that the Bamix would be handy instead of the Cuisinart.

Anyway, ended up giving away the Bamix to a family member. The salsa / pico de gallo was my main intended use.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, MokaPot said:

Maybe this sounds dumb, but here's a warning. I got a Bamix blender, intending to make salsa (pico de gallo) in small batches. Not a great tool for raw tomatoes. Yes, I know I can hand-slice tomatoes, but I actually like the texture of raw tomatoes pulsed in a food processor (e.g., Cuisinart). I thought that the Bamix would be handy instead of the Cuisinart.

Anyway, ended up giving away the Bamix to a family member. The salsa / pico de gallo was my main intended use.

Do you have the attachment for the Bamix that lets it act a bit like a food processor (talking small batches for sure)?

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Do you have the attachment for the Bamix that lets it act a bit like a food processor (talking small batches for sure)?

I use mine (the attachment) several days a week on average. It is perfect for most single person cooking needs and/or for sauces etc for more people.

Edited by liuzhou
clarification (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea why comparative reviews online often give Bamix lousy scores? I find it confusing. Lot's of people I trust swear by them, but then I've seen at least a couple of reviewers say they were outperformed by much cheaper consumer brands. 

Just curious. We have a god-awful cheap stick blender that will need replacing in the next few months. I'm not dying to spend Bamix money, but will do so if they merit the hype.

• Confused 1

Notes from the underbelly

It's a cheapie, but I have a Bella I picked up for $19.99 at Aldi. It has interchangeable heads, one regular and one whisk, that can go in the dishwasher. Two speeds. Seems to be solid, feels good in the hand. I like it. Amazon carries it, I think.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

55 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Any idea why comparative reviews online often give Bamix lousy scores? I find it confusing. Lot's of people I trust swear by them, but then I've seen at least a couple of reviewers say they were outperformed by much cheaper consumer brands. 

Just curious. We have a god-awful cheap stick blender that will need replacing in the next few months. I'm not dying to spend Bamix money, but will do so if they merit the hype.

Not sure why the lousy scores. Maybe price unofficially factored into the reviews. The Bamix metal stick part is not detachable from the handle. I think it's been posted above that the other brands do allow you to detach the stick from the handle. IMO, it's a more solid design (Bamix) when it doesn't detach. Bamix IBs are made in Switzerland, which is a positive, IMO.

One of my siblings (the one who I gave my Bamix to) said they buy a new IB every few years (due to breakage). I should check back & see how the Bamix is working.

I'm guessing the main advantage of the Bamix would be longevity.

I've owned my Bamix for at least 15 years now.  Granted, it doesn't get a whole lot of use.   I do wish the stick were removable so it could go in the d/w though.

Another thing I like about it is that it came with a mounting plate that allows me to hang it inside a cabinet for easy storage and access.

3 hours ago, heidih said:

I have a Braun my sister got as a wedding present but left me here as voltage different abroad. That was 35 year ago - well used and appreciated. 

That is very similar to (if not identical to) the one I just replaced. Mine was working fine too, but the blade seemed to be getting kind of dull. 

26 minutes ago, dtremit said:

That is very similar to (if not identical to) the one I just replaced. Mine was working fine too, but the blade seemed to be getting kind of dull. 

Ha! for some bizarre reason there are 2 more in the garage  -one still in the box. Identical - so I am good, Strange - I had no idea  - but oh well. I did not buy them. Stepmother clearly had memory issues way way back.  I could gift if you were nearby.  The one with the attachment I will keep - mine did not come wiht that.

braun2.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)

• 8 months later...

I was mystified as well. I was mentally trying to envision some sort of protective cap for the "business end" of the thing.

Mind you, this was pre-caffeine...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2013 at 11:06 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As far as immersion blenders are concerned, I remain happy with my KitchenAid. However that Dynashake sure looks interesting. I'd like to be able to make a good milkshake. I've not had what I consider an acceptable milkshake in years, even from ice cream parlors using Vitamix and such.

Would a Dynashake do the job? Or is there someting better?

Humbly I retract my expressed happiness with KitchenAid.  I purchased the KitchenAid after my Cuisinart immersion blender burned out.  Unlike Cuisinart the KitchenAid did not burn out, but the KitchenAid motor now spins and spins while the blade does not move at all.  It's not like I relied on the KitchenAid more than once or twice a year.

The plan was for Kenji's Caesar salad...

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-caesar-salad-recipe

For the Caesar dressing Kenji calls for an immersion blender or a food processor.  Given my food processor is humongous and lives in the bedroom, I chose the immersion blender approach and was met with profound disappointment.  Thankfully I have an homogenizer on the kitchen counter.  And I am now set for my next batch of anchovy ice cream.

Is there any point to replacing the KitchenAid?  Is there anything an immersion blender will do that other kitchen appliances can't accomplish?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Humbly I retract my expressed happiness with KitchenAid.  I purchased the KitchenAid after my Cuisinart immersion blender burned out.  Unlike Cuisinart the KitchenAid did not burn out, but the KitchenAid motor now spins and spins while the blade does not move at all.  It's not like I relied on the KitchenAid more than once or twice a year.

The plan was for Kenji's Caesar salad...

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-caesar-salad-recipe

For the Caesar dressing Kenji calls for an immersion blender or a food processor.  Given my food processor is humongous and lives in the bedroom, I chose the immersion blender approach and was met with profound disappointment.  Thankfully I have an homogenizer on the kitchen counter.  And I am now set for my next batch of anchovy ice cream.

Is there any point to replacing the KitchenAid?  Is there anything an immersion blender will do that other kitchen appliances can't accomplish?

I use my cuisinart miniprep ( https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2AMR-Mini-Prep-Processor-Metallic/dp/B00DGO3UUY/ref=asc_df_B00DGO3UUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151781903&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11454070315506408652&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007517&hvtargid=pla-273133840249&psc=1 )  more than my Braun stick blender.  This little beast shows up on cooking shows all the time..Pepin has one, Flay has one.

It cant homogenize a pot full of soup though

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I use my cuisinart miniprep ( https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2AMR-Mini-Prep-Processor-Metallic/dp/B00DGO3UUY/ref=asc_df_B00DGO3UUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151781903&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11454070315506408652&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007517&hvtargid=pla-273133840249&psc=1 )  more than my Braun stick blender.  This little beast shows up on cooking shows all the time..Pepin has one, Flay has one.

It cant homogenize a pot full of soup though

My Waring would probably handle most of that:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Granted the Waring won't homogenize a pot of soup.  But my Blendtec would cook the soup as well.  Why dirty a pot?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou