• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

Has anyone used the Kenwood Triblade hand blender? It's available in France, and a number of the ones people mention are not. That is, assuming I really need one. I have a Kenwood Chef with a blender attachment, Magimix 5100 Food processor with mini bowl for small amounts. So far I havent felt a great need, but the Triblades I've seen are tempting me.

The 250 watts Bamix has 19000 RPM (the 200 watts model only 17000).

A high RPM motor generates a huge amount of heat. In general, all universal and PM motors have internal turbines to evacuate the heat quickly.

That create a problem for a hand blender design. To avoid electric shock, the hand blender needs to be completely sealed. There are no air vents to vent the heat. To avoid overheating, they just slow down the RPM.

Do not stall a hand blender, you can:

1. Burn out the motor quickly.

2. strip the connector to the blade and render the blender useless.

dcarch

Ive had several of these over the years. they all have cords and they all work well enough in items with decent liquid: like soups.

the Hamiton beach has an attachment that something like a small food processor and another one of these had an wisk attachment for 'baby formula' ie that powdered stuff. both of these at the time cost < $20 and with a coupon about 15 $

well worth it. they are light and have a detachable lower half which is worth it for cleaning.

the KA I have is this:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-2-speed-Immersion-Blender-Empire/dp/B005GFXK1K/ref=sr_1_sc_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1325348335&sr=8-15-spell

its heavier than the HB and has variable speed.

I use the HB 80% of the time

it depends on how 'thick' the stuff is you want to blend

for soups, stock, gravies the < $ 20 will work fine. for denser stuff you might need more umph.

most people do not. go to Bed and bath if there is one near you with their ubiquitous coupons.

I've had an immersion blender for over a decade, but rarely use it. I just don't see too many instances where it isn't far better to use the VitaPrep. Soups turn out infinitely smoother, for example. Things like crepe batter immediately come together and there is no need for resting. And of course you can easily crack a ton of eggs directly into the canister and blend away. For other tasks, things like an electric beater or a simple hand whisk seem easier and easier to clean. Mostly I find the immersion blender useful for very small amounts.

--

You're welcome. Also, I see that you're in the bay area. The Costcos near me (Danville and Livermore) have this unit in stainless finish with all the accessories (whisk, chopper bowl, cup etc.) for $29.95. I'm tempted to get one for myself.

Hmmm ... Toots and I just recently joined Costco, so maybe on Tuesday, which is our day to run around, we'll take a zip over there. Thanks for the heads-up.

I just noticed that Costco will have these on sale for $19.95 starting 1-2-12 through 1-29-12.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I've had an immersion blender for over a decade, but rarely use it. I just don't see too many instances where it isn't far better to use the VitaPrep. Soups turn out infinitely smoother, for example. Things like crepe batter immediately come together and there is no need for resting. And of course you can easily crack a ton of eggs directly into the canister and blend away. For other tasks, things like an electric beater or a simple hand whisk seem easier and easier to clean. Mostly I find the immersion blender useful for very small amounts.

Immersion blenders are for when you have a large amount to process in a large pot on your range and don't want to remove the contents of the pot for processing ergo the long stalk on immersion blenders. For small amounts, immersion blenders are relatively useless.-Dick

I have the basic Bamix that I've been using for many years. I like it for whizzing up marinades or dressings in its little beaker and, of course, for soups in the pot.

The one thing it doesn't have that I wish it did is a shaft that disengages so it can go in the d/w.

I know that KA models have that feature.

Warning! This is insane, so please don't you try this !!!

I don't have a 500 horse power blender, instead, I try to make do with the following:

I keep a separate blade for my blender, which I sharpen to razor sharp just for making sauces and smoothies. I also bent the blades slightly to create more turbulance. You know how dull those blade are in your blender after you chopped beans and nuts.

When I am making smoothies, I turn the blender to high and I put the hand blender in the blender jar and have both running at the same time. Of course I have to make sure the hand blender is high above the blender's blades.

Works great for me. I am very good with tools, and you may not, so don't try this.

dcarch

I have a standard Cuisinart that I got as a gift, I think it retails for about $30. It has a fixed blade and shaft, and two speed settings, anemic, and on. I find it works pretty well for smoothing out a tomato sauce, but it was woefully inept at blending a vichyssoise. I'll just stick to what its good at and take my leeks to the blender next time.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

A high RPM motor generates a huge amount of heat. In general, all universal and PM motors have internal turbines to evacuate the heat quickly.

That create a problem for a hand blender design. To avoid electric shock, the hand blender needs to be completely sealed. There are no air vents to vent the heat. To avoid overheating, they just slow down the RPM.

Well, you are not supposed to run the thing for more than 5 minutes (doing so would void the warranty) and it does get very hot quite quickly. However, I'm not an electrical or mechanical engineer, so it is possible that the 19000 RPM is just a theoretical maximum that is not reached in practice.

Well, you are not supposed to run the thing for more than 5 minutes (doing so would void the warranty) and it does get very hot quite quickly. However, I'm not an electrical or mechanical engineer, so it is possible that the 19000 RPM is just a theoretical maximum that is not reached in practice.

It is very easy for motors (not induction motors) to get to above 20,000 RPM, it is difficult for the motor to maintain 20,000 RPM under load unless it has the rated power.

dcarch

... When I am making smoothies, I turn the blender to high and I put the hand blender in the blender jar and have both running at the same time. Of course I have to make sure the hand blender is high above the blender's blades ... dcarch

1. You're totally nuts.

2. I like the way you think.

Edited by cbread (log)

I've used a KA 9-speed immersion blender for 8 years with no problems. I don't think they even make this model anymore which is too bad -- to quote Apple it just works.

I have to agree with Slkinsey though, since buying my Blendtec blender I rarely use the immersion blender. Only small amounts that do not blend well in a large blender get the immersion blender, or when I only want a quick rough blend (I do this with gazpacho for example). Personally, I prefer a full size blender to blend large amounts -- even if it requires multiple batches. The blending power of a Blendtec or Vitamix is exponentially greater than a hand held immersion blender.

Haven't tried eggs with the immersion blender but it sounds interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Waring WSB33 Quick Stik (for just under $60 shipped) but it looks like there is going to be a delay in shipping it (a couple more weeks). I just got an email from William Sonoma about the immersion blender from All Clad above. Thought on if the extra $40 for the All Clad would be worth it? The detachable shaft would be nice but I'm not sure if it's worth an extra $40. Because of the delay, I could cancel the shipment on the Waring, and we have a local WS store, so I could pick it up.

Thoughts?

Brand new! Immersion Blender

I like this, if I were in the market for a new model, I think I'd jump on this at $99.

I have the Bamix which I really like but it doesn't have the removeable shaft which is a really nice feature.

"Use at one minute intervals."

Interesting enough, the specs on this Blender say 600 watts and 2#'s 8oz.

On the Robot Coupe 190VV I purchased, the spec is 250 watts and up to 12,500 rpm and 5#'s with no time restriction?

I suspect that the Watts on the All-Clad are peak starting and not run Watts.

Kinda makes you wonder.-Dick

• 1 year later...

I am thinking of getting a new immersion blender.

I have owned my Bamix Swissline (the top model) for 7 years. About a year after I bought it, the motor burned out. It simply overheated and died. I was told to use it in short bursts. It was then repaired under warranty.

About 3 weeks ago, my Bamix suddenly died. I hadn't been doing anything particularly strenous with it - I picked it up and it wouldn't turn on. Strange, it was working perfectly before I put it back into storage!

I am waiting for my Bamix to be repaired. This time it won't be under warranty. But I am quite annoyed now. Would it be worth considering a Robot-Coupe? The Robot-Coupe does not have the mini food processor attachment, which I find invaluable. Is there anything else which is robust and reliable?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I have had a Braun for years and it has taken plenty of punishment. I often have it on for several minutes at a time. Never showed any signs of overheating.

I am thinking of getting a new immersion blender.

I have owned my Bamix Swissline (the top model) for 7 years. About a year after I bought it, the motor burned out. It simply overheated and died. I was told to use it in short bursts. It was then repaired under warranty.

About 3 weeks ago, my Bamix suddenly died. I hadn't been doing anything particularly strenous with it - I picked it up and it wouldn't turn on. Strange, it was working perfectly before I put it back into storage!

I am waiting for my Bamix to be repaired. This time it won't be under warranty. But I am quite annoyed now. Would it be worth considering a Robot-Coupe? The Robot-Coupe does not have the mini food processor attachment, which I find invaluable. Is there anything else which is robust and reliable?

I have a Dynamic immersion blender. They're as robust as Robot Coupe (both are made in France), and Dynamic has a much wider array of accessories, and costs less than Robot Coupe. These are no-nonsense commercial grade units.

I bought the "Dynashake", which is the same as the "Mini-Pro" but includes a special container and longer shaft for making shakes and smoothies. It comes with 3 different blades, emulsifying, chopping, and whipping.

I also have the ricer, whisking, and food processor attachments.

Katom restaurant supply seems to have the best prices on Dynamic products in the US.

For what it's worth, Dynamic invented the immersion blender.

Edited by GlowingGhoul (log)

I have a Dynamic immersion blender. They're as robust as Robot Coupe (both are made in France), and Dynamic has a much wider array of accessories, and costs less than Robot Coupe. These are no-nonsense commercial grade units.

Thank you!! I just had a look at the website. It looks exactly like what I need. Now I need to find an Australian distributor.

Out of curiosity, you said you had the ricer attachment - I presume you mean this one? Does it do a good job with mash potato without turning it into a starchy mess?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I bought the "Dynashake", which is the same as the "Mini-Pro" but includes a special container and longer shaft for making shakes and smoothies. It comes with 3 different blades, emulsifying, chopping, and whipping.

I also have the ricer, whisking, and food processor attachments.

Katom restaurant supply seems to have the best prices on Dynamic products in the US.

For what it's worth, Dynamic invented the immersion blender.

As far as immersion blenders are concerned, I remain happy with my KitchenAid. However that Dynashake sure looks interesting. I'd like to be able to make a good milkshake. I've not had what I consider an acceptable milkshake in years, even from ice cream parlors using Vitamix and such.

Would a Dynashake do the job? Or is there someting better?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 6 years later...

Hi all.

I am a heavy user of hand/immersion blenders, have been for the psat 15 years. 

I use them 3x daily, for 30 seconds at a time, or 1.5 minutes daily x 365 days =547.5 minutes = little over 9 hrs 7 minutes per year.

I find them much more convenient than full sized blenders due to the easy cleanup, and big time savers (when you use them as frequently as I do).  

Over the years, I've had immersion blenders by Oster, Cuisineart,  Braun etc. as well as cheaper off brands.

Most last about 18 months, (2 years is the all time record by the Cuisineart smart stick)- the weakpoint for ALL of them has been the bearings/seal that hold the blade shaft in place.  When it fails, the blades/ shaft will drop extending out from its housing, and disengage from the motor connection, all the while leaking old grease/plastic bits into whatever I'm blending.   

It seems the vast majority of manufacturers do not sell replacement blade-wand attachments, and the ones that do, sell them at a price that is 75-%100 of the cost of a full new unit/set.  So I end up tossing the perfectly working motor unit/accessories and buying a whole new set, trying a different brand in hopes of a more durable unit.

Kills me every time. 

At this point, I'm ready to concede that physics prevents man from designing a longer lasting unit, but I'm hoping somewhere out there, a chronic hand blender consumer has discovered a supremely long lasting unit, OR a quality unit manufacturer that also sells replacement attachments at a reasonable price?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I’d say that the brands you use may have cheapened construction to meet a price point from Walmart or whoever. 

I’d check a restaurant supply place for a pro model. 

The most I've spent is $60.  

I've seen $100 plus units, but I would like to hear some anecdote indicating I could expect it last cost-proportionately longer than the consumer models Ive had. ie; would a $140 dollar unit last 7x longer than a $25 unit?