• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiced Orange Salami

Chris Hennes

I had dinner last night at a restaurant whose charcuterie plate had, among other selections, something they just called "spiced orange": it was a relatively homogeneous pork salume with little visible fat, and a really interesting herbal note to it. Is anyone aware of a precedent for this type of salami, and does anyone have a recipe for something that might fit this description?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The color of the salume was more or less normal, and to be honest I didn't really taste "orange": it had a very distinct fresh-herb note to it, but of course it was a dry-cured item, so that impression was not, in fact, fresh herbs (at least, I don't think so). And yes, it was good.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

i'm thinking cardamom and orange zest. I've heard of this combo before. Haven't yet tried it.

Salumi in Seattle has it. And i know Bob del Grosso makes one too.

any good?

Yes, my thought exactly. The Salumi one is flavored with cardamom and orange zest (or maybe "citrus" zest). Batali gives it a name too, something like "agrumi" maybe. At least that's what it sounded like to me. I still have a 2 or 3 inch piece in my fridge from one of those salamis and it is very tasty. As far as I can tell it's got orange and possibly lemon zest along with cardamom and a little chili flakes. It has no orange or red color at all, so I doubt it has any paprika. Its color is closer to a Genoa Salami. I have been thinking about trying to make a good clone of it at home, but I have not yet.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog