• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bojangles

toolprincess

Bojangles is a Southern chain (in fact it used to be only in the Carolinas). For those of you who have access or who have passed through somewhere and have eaten at a Bojangles - what is your opinion?

I like their chicken which is very crispy. Some folks who don't like spicy think it is too spicy. The fries are okay and mostly a vehicle to have their seasoning mix which you can sprinkly liberally on at the counter. The biscuits are generally very good and I am partial to their sausage gravy.

Others love the dirty rice and the pinto beans.

What about egulleters? what are your thoughts?

There used to be a Bojangles' (their apostrophe) near Times Square in New York City. I thought it was clearly the best fried chicken chain -- a cut above Popeye's. I haven't been to one in years, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I live in Canada where we have only KFC and Popeye. Popeye arrived very recently and I wasn't impressed with either the chicken or the biscuits. The biscuits were hard little hockey pucks with no flavour whatsoever. The chicken was just ok. I will not be ordering from Popeye again.

KFC has been in Canada for years and I crave it (lacking any alternative) about once a year. However, I have always found it too salty and the spices too ersatz so after my first drumstick I peel off the skin. Also their sides aren't all that great any more.

Mostly I make my own (using Lori Colwin's recipe )which I like much more and I can have the biscuits fresh from the oven.

I was in North Carolina for Christmas and my host swears by Bojangles. We had it 2 or 3 times for lunch. The biscuits are delicious especially since they serve them just out of the oven and the chicken was moist and tender with a crisp crust and a reasonable addition of salt and spice. They have sweet biscuits too which were good and a country ham and egg biscuit sandwich which my hostess loves.

So, in my humble Canadian opinion, they are the best and I wish we had Bojangles in Canada.

We live in Memphis where there used to be Bojangles when I was a kid. It really was the best fried chicken chain around with the exception of Pirtle's which is a purely Memphis thing. Whenever we're in the area of a Bojangles when we're on the road, our son always begs for a chicken biscuit and their hashbrowns. I have to admit that for a fast food breakfast, Bojangles is really great.

We live in Memphis where there used to be Bojangles when I was a kid. It really was the best fried chicken chain around with the exception of Pirtle's which is a purely Memphis thing. Whenever we're in the area of a Bojangles when we're on the road, our son always begs for a chicken biscuit and their hashbrowns. I have to admit that for a fast food breakfast, Bojangles is really great.

As I mentioned I think they have excellent chicken - I especially like the "wing special" (3 wings, a side and a biscuit). I do not really care for their Bo'rounds (hashbrowns) something about the seasoning and the thickness. I do however really like their Bo'berry biscuit.

• 2 months later...

In late 2009 my husband and I moved west of DC from Asheville, NC.

Yes, we miss the BBQ (quite a lot!) and the sweet tea at every restaurant. Yes, we miss the Mellow Mushroom and of COURSE we miss all of the small craft breweries in Asheville.

But oh, what we miss most is Bojangle's. We often wax poetic on Sunday mornings about how in times past we could just slap on some shoes, drive down the street and have a wonderful breakfast of Cajun fillet biscuits with Bo'rounds and a large sweet tea... how their bacon egg and cheese was a wonderful hangover cure... how they had breakfast all day so you could get one no matter what time you woke up, be it 7am or 4 in the afternoon. And yes, if we drive East eventually we hit Anacostia and there are a few BoJangles' to be found, but they just don't taste the same. I think no one up here understands what a biscuit is supposed to taste like...

Also, best hangover cure *ever* :)

I'm here to learn

• 4 years later...

We recently moved to South Carolina and now have access to a local Bojangles.  I have to say, as far as fast food goes, it's very good.  Fried chicken is crispy with a hint of spice.  Biscuits are very good.  And since they're busy all day the chicken  and biscuits are always fresh.  Breakfast biscuits available all day, I'm partial to the chicken (cajun filet) and the country ham and egg.  Sides are OK, but not their strong suit, I mostly stick with the chicken and biscuits.

• Like 1

Bojangles is better than KFC these days, and DTBarton is right, stick to the chicken and biscuits. The sides are not so great.

It's still not as good as Popeyes's, which isn't afraid to put out a spicier chicken and better sides, but we no longer have any near us. :(

I guess mainstream folks are not up for the delicious peppery flavor in Popeye's Cajun crispy, juicy fried chicken, which is best of the bunch for fast food, with Bojangles coming in a distant second.

Has anyone else noticed how Bojangles now sells the smallest little banty pieces they can find? They look only slightly larger than a Cornish hen cut up and fried anymore.

> ^ . . ^ <

Has anyone else noticed how Bojangles now sells the smallest little banty pieces they can find? They look only slightly larger than a Cornish hen cut up and fried anymore.

It's not just Bojangles. Half of the KFC's in my area closed and were replaced by Popeye's. The last time I went to my local Popeye's, the thighs I got with my order were embarrassingly small. I thought they had given me wings by mistake!

I wonder if there's some chicken parts salesman making the rounds and selling smaller birds to the chicken chains so they'll save money. :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Our Bojangles chicken hasn't been small, regular sized pieces so far.  We don't have a Popeye's here but in Maryland, our Popeye's was hit or miss.  They didn't change the fry oil often enough.  If the oil was fresh, the bird was good, if not it was very dark and not so good.

There's a reason Bojangles sign says "Famous Chicken and Biscuits".

• Like 1