• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do Brita-type filters work?

Fat Guy

How does one know that the things are actually doing anything? How do you know when they have worn out and stopped filtering?

Filters work with a few entirely different filtering systems.

1. Mechanical - filtering out suspended particles, like coffee filter.

2. Chemical - neutralizing toxic dissolved chemicals.

3. Reverse osmosis and activated charcoal - good but expensive.

As I understand it, it takes one chemical to react and to neutralize another chemical. They don't tell you what chemicals they use to neutralize other toxic chemicals and their effects on your health.

I use a water distiller, which is not technically a filter. 100 % pure water. No expensive filters to replace.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

How does one know that the things are actually doing anything? How do you know when they have worn out and stopped filtering?

If the water is being filtered because it tastes bad (e.g. I had one of these in NYC, since the chlorine was pretty heavy), if the filter is working, the water will taste better, and the flavour will deteriorate when it isn't working any longer.

If you're filtering for hard water, the filter is working if you notice that appliances like electric kettles are not showing any deposit (even when you regularly fill the kettle by topping up); water flow seems to start falling off when these sorts of flters become full of whatever they're removing.

The better brands will give you an idea of the minimum/maximum volume of water that one filter will effectively clean.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Filters work with a few entirely different filtering systems.

1. Mechanical - filtering out suspended particles, like coffee filter.

2. Chemical - neutralizing toxic dissolved chemicals.

3. Reverse osmosis and activated charcoal - good but expensive.

As I understand it, it takes one chemical to react and to neutralize another chemical. They don't tell you what chemicals they use to neutralize other toxic chemicals and their effects on your health.

I use a water distiller, which is not technically a filter. 100 % pure water. No expensive filters to replace.

dcarch

Also ion exchange columns will make "distilled"-like water.

I had a Pur faucet water filter for a while. It wasn't great and ended up replacing it with the pitcher filter instead.

I used a Pur facet filter until we remodeled the kitchen and installed an under sink Everpure filter. I didn't have any problem with the Pur filter and we still use a Pur filter in the fridge. I drink a lot of water from the fridge dispenser and it has no off taste to me but maybe I'm just use to it.

I had a Pur faucet water filter for a while. It wasn't great and ended up replacing it with the pitcher filter instead.

I used a Pur facet filter until we remodeled the kitchen and installed an under sink Everpure filter. I didn't have any problem with the Pur filter and we still use a Pur filter in the fridge. I drink a lot of water from the fridge dispenser and it has no off taste to me but maybe I'm just use to it.

The idea of a fridge dispenser hadn't crossed my mind. Might be worth looking into. I had one years ago and wasn't satisfied with it, although I don't recall why. Many things have changed in my life, so maybe now it would be more acceptable. The only problem with a pitcher in the fridge that I can think of, is that the water's always cold.

... Shel

Just buy distilled water from Arrowhead or Culligan. They even deliver it to your home.

Now to me distilled water taste off due to the lack of minerals.

Likewise - distilled water is for steam irons :wink:

• Like 1

... Shel

The idea of a fridge dispenser hadn't crossed my mind. Might be worth looking into. I had one years ago and wasn't satisfied with it, although I don't recall why. Many things have changed in my life, so maybe now it would be more acceptable. The only problem with a pitcher in the fridge that I can think of, is that the water's always cold.

No pitcher in the fridge. Water and ice dispenser in the door and a long Pur filter that plugs in near the base of the fridge. Don't have to worry about it being too cold. After filling a few glasses it's no longer that cold

We use a Britta pitcher that is left on the counter to avoid it being cold filtered water. We have hard water here and I prefer the taste of the filtered water.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Likewise, Porthos. Our water is very hard and has a terrible taste to me. It doesn't seem to bother the rest of the family, but I like my water and the tap water is unpalatable to me, so I buy the distilled water for my use.

We have had several different filter systems over the years and they all failed in a short period of time because of the mineral burden from our well. Even the expensive filter in my new expensive refrigerator can't handle it. I like the Britta filter pitchers and bought one for my son when he got his own place, but it isn't cost effective for me to use at the rate I do.

I can't speak about faucet filters.

I used the Brita pitchers for quite some time and was happy with them. Then I saw a segment on the NBC "Today Show" where Good Housekeeping rated the water filters for pitchers and they said both Pur filters and Brita filters paled in comparison to Zero Water filters in the amount of contaminates the filters removed from the water. The Zero Water filters are quite expensive but you can contact the company via their web site and request coupons to help reduce the price.

The nice thing about Zero Water pitchers/dispensers is that they come with a little tester gadget that you can use to test how clean the filtered water is. The device is battery operated. You dispense some water into a glass and stick the tester into it. When it reads ".06" or higher, it's time to change the filter. Easy.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Just buy distilled water from Arrowhead or Culligan. They even deliver it to your home.

My daughter & SIL have a filter on the fridge, so that ice and water taste fine.

They also have the distilled water dispenser, which is where they get the water for their little children. The Arrowhead guy comes once a month with those big water-bottle refills. The dispenser is plugged in, so there's always steaming hot water available, too, a feature that my SIL particularly appreciates as my daughter and I like our coffee really strong. We make it strong, and then SIL gets a couple of shots of hot water to dilute his a bit, without cooling it off.

But that's not practical for me, so I do have the Britta pitcher in the fridge. We're in Houston, which is really close to the Gulf and I think the water table here affects our tap water. The overall taste is pretty bad, and the chlorine taste is strong. I've never bothered with a filter anywhere else, but here I have one so that my coffee and soups and anything else with a high water content taste better.

I don't mind the cold water in the fridge. If I'm cooking with it, I heat it up.

And if I'm just drinking water, I want it to be cold anyway.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We got the distilled water dispenser, such as you described, when the kids were small and used it for their drinking water and also for the animals water bowls. I never had one with the hot water feature, but it sounds like a great option and clearly suits your daughter (and your) needs. I've been getting water delivered to my house/apartment/condo/wherever I happened to live since I moved away from home and haven't ever had a complaint about it.

The cost is reasonable and the quality is good.

We got the distilled water dispenser, such as you described, when the kids were small and used it for their drinking water and also for the animals water bowls. I never had one with the hot water feature, but it sounds like a great option and clearly suits your daughter (and your) needs. I've been getting water delivered to my house/apartment/condo/wherever I happened to live since I moved away from home and haven't ever had a complaint about it.

The cost is reasonable and the quality is good.

You know, that hot water feature seemed a little silly to me at first. But we use it constantly. Hot water for baby cereal & formula, instant soups & oatmeal & Ramen and hot cocoa, anytime we're cooking a big pot of something like pasta where the first thing you do is to bring the water to a boil...

It's amazing how quickly I got over thinking it was silly and decided that maybe it was an extremely good idea!

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I can't speak about faucet filters.

I used the Brita pitchers for quite some time and was happy with them. Then I saw a segment on the NBC "Today Show" where Good Housekeeping rated the water filters for pitchers and they said both Pur filters and Brita filters paled in comparison to Zero Water filters in the amount of contaminates the filters removed from the water. The Zero Water filters are quite expensive but you can contact the company via their web site and request coupons to help reduce the price.

The nice thing about Zero Water pitchers/dispensers is that they come with a little tester gadget that you can use to test how clean the filtered water is. The device is battery operated. You dispense some water into a glass and stick the tester into it. When it reads ".06" or higher, it's time to change the filter. Easy.

Thanks for the useful information ...

... Shel

There are lots of stuff that Zero filter cannot remove, including "The current system is meant to be used with municipally treated, potable water as the current filter will not remove microbiological contaminants."

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

There are lots of stuff that Zero filter cannot remove, including "The current system is meant to be used with municipally treated, potable water as the current filter will not remove microbiological contaminants."

dcarch

I guess they need to move that number up from zero

• Like 1

We've been using a Brita faucet filter since forever. I was mainly interested in getting rid of that nasty "municipally treated" smell and taste, which it does nicely. Dissolved solids is less of an issue. I'll look into ZeroWater, anyway.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Though not a faucet-mount the Big Berkey was discussed in this thread which started with asking about the Britta filter: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/136349-do-brita-type-filters-work/

I still like my Britta but it isn't for everyone. I did have an undersink system at one time but eventually removed it.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My mother had a Pur system on her faucet, and we all thought it was fine. The one funky thing about it was that the "filter life" light seemed to be intermittent. As a rule my sister or I just changed it on a regular basis, and everyone was happy.

What have been the issues, either from reading or from experience?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

dcarch

Perhaps those microbiological contaminants weren't on Good Housekeeping's list when they judged water pitcher filters. It's likely Pur and Brita don't filter them out either. You would probably have to step up to larger (permanent and more expensive) water filter systems for such high quality bio-filtration.

I know there was another eGullet thread about water filters because a lot of this discussion sounds familiar. Anyone interested in a more serious filtration system could probably easily find that previous discussion.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I know there was another eGullet thread about water filters because a lot of this discussion sounds familiar.

Post 24 has the link for anyone interested in the previous discussion.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 11 months later...

Can anyone please tell me the difference between the 3 Brita Faucet Water Filter models:

FF-100

OPFF-100

SAFF-100

I am having difficulty finding any pictures on the Internet, that show the filter with the specific model number.

Thank you.