• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple and chocolate

Fat Guy

Are there any good desserts that utilize the pairing of apples and chocolate? Someone challenged me to come up with a compelling example and I failed.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Are there any good desserts that utilize the pairing of apples and chocolate? Someone challenged me to come up with a compelling example and I failed.

Something with apples, caramel and chocolate might work. Perhaps a bread pudding. I certainly like a nice matsu apple, dipped in caramel then dipped in chocolate. A nice slice of that works for me - but it might not count as a dessert.

I had been thinking right along those lines for something that would definitely be delicious. For the purposes of this argument, though, I was hoping maybe for an example of a great pastry chef using that combination -- something either from a good restaurant's menu or a serious pastry cookbook.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How about the Mozart cake in Desserts by Pierre Herme? I've not tried it but all of his desserts are pretty tasty, and this one looks like no exception...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I made a mignardise by using a melon baller to take a piece of apple, stick a toothpick in it, dip it in caramel, dip it in chocolate, and roll it in crushed pistachios. It needs to be eaten fairly soon after making it, however

Would this be with any flavor of chocolate, or just the darker kind? I'm thinking (fantasizing about it is more like it because they don't offer it anymore) about an apple dome that Wegman's used to sell. It was a spiced apple mousse, with a sponge cake, coated with what looked like a poured white chocolate ganache, then coated again with a thin caramel glaze. They made both individuals and 6-8" diameters.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I know you already mentioned this doesn't really fit what you're looking for, but a local place has a granny smith, dipped in caramel, then dark chocolate and then sprinkled with sea salt - my favorite caramel apple by far!

And I googled to have something to offer - here's a apple hazelnut chocolate cake, though both the mozart cake looks like a better idea :)

I thought of the Mozart cake as well... I've never even made it but saw it online and was surprised at the apple/chocolate combination. Must get round to it soon.

I'm about to make this cake this afternoon, and I think it's going to be darn tasty. The recipe is from Valrhona so I consider that a good authority on chocolate pairings :)