• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse: 2011

We collected Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse for 2010. But it's a new year! You were probably busy over the last couple of weeks, so here are three you might have missed:

1. Calphalon has "the perfect pair." Two pans for $100 (down from $300) that do what one Lodge cast iron reversible grill/griddle does for half that. Then again, with the Lodge you don't get the cheap junior high joke.

2. In the "Getting Them Started Early" department, 75% of 5-12 year old kids consume caffeine daily. Shockingly, this disrupts their sleeping. (Tx to Josh Friedland's Food Section.)

3. Three words: Hip. Hop. Cupcakes. (Tx to Eater.)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Atlanta restaurants are apparently in a massive, bloody war -- over used grease:

Yellow grease commanded $2.24 per gallon when Virginia-based Greenlight Biofuels began knocking on restaurant doors in Atlanta and its suburbs.

By year’s end, dozens of restaurant haulers had switched once, at least a dozen had switched twice and one — a Chinese restaurant on Buford Highway — had switched three times, from Griffin to Greenlight, to Griffin and back to Greenlight again, as the two companies employed relationships with restaurant owners, green credibility and legal threats to win their grease business.

“It’s all been very weird,” said Ian Winslade, the chef and owner of the Buckhead Bottle Bar on East Paces Ferry Road.

You think?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 weeks later...

Food & Wine has decided to turn into People. Just got an emailer saying, "Julia Louis Dreyfus turns 50 today. To wish the former Seinfeld star a happy birthday, we suggest 10 foods that served as props in the classic show's madcap plots." Click here for Ten "Seinfeld-Inspired Dishes." No sign of "garbage-can buffet."

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Three words: Hip. Hop. Cupcakes.

Some see flocks of dead birds falling from the sky as evidence that These Be The End Times.

Not me. It's the longevity of this demented cupcake craze (everywhere.....even Manhattan ) that tells me our days are numbered. It recently occurred to me that cupcakes, like cockroaches, may well survive global warming, nuclear winter, and deadly meteor strikes.

Starbucks introduces a 31 oz. "trenta" size for cold drinks.

I mean, how dehydrated would you need to be to need that much iced tea? Or, in the great tradition of American takeaway drinks, would most of it just be ice anyway?

I mean, how dehydrated would you need to be to need that much iced tea? Or, in the great tradition of American takeaway drinks, would most of it just be ice anyway?

One of the pundits on American TV tonight said something to the effect that "the Trenta comes with a free side of Depends (adult diapers for those of you not in the US, and therefore not exposed to US personal care brands)...."

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

One of the pundits on American TV tonight said something to the effect that "the Trenta comes with a free side of Depends (adult diapers for those of you not in the US, and therefore not exposed to US personal care brands)...."

Well we already had those 7-11 Big Gulps the size of a basketball so this is just the "upscale" version. Since it is cold drinks, for people who do drink iced tea all day it sounds like a monetary value (I have friends who can drink a pitcher full over the course of the day)

"Taco Bell Sued: Where's the Beef?"

Miles said the lawsuit does not seek monetary damages, but asks the court to order Taco Bell to be honest in its advertising.

"We are asking that they stop saying that they are selling beef," Miles said.

Perhaps the tacos are filled with Soylent Green. :shock:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Anti-food enthusiast backlash was more or less inevitable, given the current popularity. Heck, I hate "foodies" sometimes, myself.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Reuters piece out today (Valentine's Day) about McWeddings. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. Real weddings being held at McDonalds restaurants.

"In the buzzing financial hub known for its fast living, young Hong Kong couples can now grab love on the run at the city's McDonald's outlets, which are offering a burgeoning new sideline: "McWeddings."" Here's a link to the whole article. The wedding package, is $1282 and includes, (among other things) "classic golden arches fare worth up to $385."

At least it's only in Hong Kong.

So far.

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Another culinary sign of the Apocalypse 2011: Spam Lip Glaze

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Well, you DID ask, so...

1) Conde Nast shutting down Gourmet.

2) food discussions for people who love food discussing the merits of chains

3) cupcakes as a fad - I like cupcakes, homemade, thoughtful, for special occasions or just for fun. I'm really not very interested in trendy cupcakes, thanks.

4) overall dumbing-down of food and wine, call it the "Food Network Effect"

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 5 weeks later...